Public transportation to pier 91 seattle

PRINCESS ELITE

2 hours ago, CruiszBug said:

Also, if this is the ONLY accessible entrance/exit don't they have to let us out there?

Another possibility (assuming that you are headed to the airport) is when you arrive at Pier 91 on embark day, talk to the Transportation staff at the Pier about the possibility of arranging a bus with a wheelchair lift.  If it is possible, they can let you know, and then with a week's notice, set it up.  For most cruise days, they can be found on the bus/taxi side of the driveway (it will be quite obvious).  They will be at a kiosk mid way along the covered walkway (by the buses); they will be wearing safety vests.  On Carnival Days, I believe that they will be stationed in front of the terminal building.

Hope this helps!

12 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I re-read your posts; is it your intention/hope to use public transportation on embark day and on your return trip?

No, we are boarding Ovation of the Seas in Vancouver. So we are only using public transport on debarkation day in Seattle. We plan on taking the D Line bus to the Light Link Rail Station. Then transferring there to go to the airport.

Ok, I would imagine that you are the type of person who can handle unexpected glitches in traveling.  Part of your disembark travel plan is using Seattle's Port Valet to have your luggage transferred to SeaTac.  My concern is that this will be the very first visit of Ovation to Seattle.  It may be possible that the crew will not be up to speed with Port Valet (not having the forms, not being totally familiar with the program, etc), and thus it might not be available on this cruise.  I know that last season (Port Valet's second season), some of the cruise lines had a slow start offering Port Valet early in the season.  If you were traveling just a bit later I would not have any concerns, but since it will be Ovation's first visit, I will just suggest that you have a Plan B in mind.

I think it is wonderful that you model such a spirit of adventure for your family, and particularly for your child.  Please just have a alternative plan in mind if Port Valet doesn't work out.  We will hope for the best, and that Plan B won't be needed!

On 4/6/2019 at 8:17 PM, Ferry_Watcher said:

Ok, I would imagine that you are the type of person who can handle unexpected glitches in traveling.  Part of your disembark travel plan is using Seattle's Port Valet to have your luggage transferred to SeaTac.  My concern is that this will be the very first visit of Ovation to Seattle.  It may be possible that the crew will not be up to speed with Port Valet (not having the forms, not being totally familiar with the program, etc), and thus it might not be available on this cruise.  I know that last season (Port Valet's second season), some of the cruise lines had a slow start offering Port Valet early in the season.  If you were traveling just a bit later I would not have any concerns, but since it will be Ovation's first visit, I will just suggest that you have a Plan B in mind.

I think it is wonderful that you model such a spirit of adventure for your family, and particularly for your child.  Please just have a alternative plan in mind if Port Valet doesn't work out.  We will hope for the best, and that Plan B won't be needed!

Thank you for your kind remarks! Yes, I used to have a plan B but have learned to include a plan C (Philadelphia, the not-so-accessible city comes to mind, lol!)

I, too, wondered about the Port Valet being a glitch for the very reason you give. I am working with a Travel Agent and the Royal Caribbean Special Access Department to ensure a solution to the luggage transport issue. (If it becomes an issue.) I know I have used the Luggage Valet program with RCCL out of Fort Lauderdale, but that is different. I doubt it will be offered in Seattle since the Port Valet program exists.

On 4/5/2019 at 6:24 PM, Eaglecw said:

I believe it's a safety issue. That gate is the gate that all the heavy semi-trucks use to come and go off of Pier 91, it's a crazy dangerous place on turnaround day. Lots of traffic coming and going.  Try E-mailing the Terminal manager ops@cruiseterminals.com or call him at 206-787-3911

Randy

On 4/5/2019 at 8:11 PM, Ferry_Watcher said:

So glad other Seattle local folks are expressing their safety concerns.  Pier 91 is a very busy place during the mornings, with hundreds of vehicles (buses, vans, Uber/Lyft, private cars) all leaving the immediate terminal area, and the port in general on a two lane road.   At the same time, delivery trucks will be arriving with provisions for the ships.  Drivers would not expect to see pedestrians, much less a wheelchair traveling in these areas (especially pass the Uber pick-up area).  It will be very busy.

It is a quarter mile walk to the Uber pick-up, and then another half to three quarter mile to 15th Ave W.  I don't believe that the bike trail that I think you are referencing actually intersects 15th Ave W close to Pier 91 - I think it takes you further away on a scenic route.

Is there anyone local that add on way or another on this?  I think we all want you and your family safe.

I decided to do a little Google Earth/Street Level Maps sleuthing. You are right. It does look crazy busy for traffic. Even though there are marked pathways, it looks sketchy. The only REAL problem (other than that, lol!) is that a very short stretch of road from the gate arm to the beginning of the bike/pedestrian path has no sidewalk. So that would be an issue to give me pause. 

I contacted my TA today and she told me that Royal Caribbean has airport transfers with guaranteed accessibility for full-time wheel chair users. It is $26.95/person. Sign-up can be up to two weeks out, but we were also told we could sign up at the port or on the ship. I think $100-ish is worth it for the safety and convenience of my family. Not to mention the peace of mind that we have our transportation pre-arranged.

So thank you to everyone who gave me insight into this port. It is appreciated more than you know. I will come back after the cruise and give you my thoughts on how everything worked out. Maybe even a picture or two! :>)

Edited by CruiszBug
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gardyloo said:

For future reference, Google's "street view" option is very useful.  For example, here's an image of the pedestrian path between Smith Cove and downtown - https://goo.gl/maps/1fYHHd9V6cy .  You can "walk" with your mouse along the blue-lined paths and roads.

Yes, I had been using the street view option, but everything I saw looked "safe" for walking until I did the WHOLE route. Obviously the Google car camera guy managed to capture a busy day with lots of traffic within the port area where we would be walking through. Other times I had looked the space looked empty and therefore much more doable. With the amount of traffic coming and going on that day it looked much less like a real option for us. Plus it would also probably stress out the people who were trying to direct traffic to keep things running smoothly. 

Thank you for the link. 

• 1 month later...

So we have returned from our cruise and as promised I am reporting back on our experience. The morning we returned to Seattle was cold and drizzly. My Travel Agent arranged for us to have a transfer shuttle to the airport with a lift. But surprise, surprise when we got to the shuttle they said, "Sorry we did not schedule any shuttles with lifts for today."  Shaking head with disbelief I call my TA who confirms with Shore Access that YES, a lift bus was ordered. The person in charge ended up calling us two cabs. My daughter in the wheelchair was rolled into the back "trunk" space of a van. We could not reach her to suction her or comfort her since we were belted into the middle section. Truly unhappy with how this turned out. It was a stressful ride to the airport. Followed by having to wait for my husband and all of the bags before we could finish checking in for our flight. That was the only time we saw her crying on any of our transportation home.

But on the flip side, if I was traveling alone or with other able bodies adults who could roll their own bags, I would walk out the gate. But with our daughter? No way! Too much traffic. Too much exposure to weather. Too many variables.

Thank you again to all who helped guide me on this! My appreciation is great!

18 hours ago, CruiszBug said:

So we have returned from our cruise and as promised I am reporting back on our experience. The morning we returned to Seattle was cold and drizzly. My Travel Agent arranged for us to have a transfer shuttle to the airport with a lift. But surprise, surprise when we got to the shuttle they said, "Sorry we did not schedule any shuttles with lifts for today."  Shaking head with disbelief I call my TA who confirms with Shore Access that YES, a lift bus was ordered. The person in charge ended up calling us two cabs. My daughter in the wheelchair was rolled into the back "trunk" space of a van. We could not reach her to suction her or comfort her since we were belted into the middle section. Truly unhappy with how this turned out. It was a stressful ride to the airport. Followed by having to wait for my husband and all of the bags before we could finish checking in for our flight. That was the only time we saw her crying on any of our transportation home.

But on the flip side, if I was traveling alone or with other able bodies adults who could roll their own bags, I would walk out the gate. But with our daughter? No way! Too much traffic. Too much exposure to weather. Too many variables.

Thank you again to all who helped guide me on this! My appreciation is great!

Oh, my friend, I am so sorry that the last few hours of your amazing cruise went so unexpectedly poorly.  It appears that the demand for taxis overwhelmed the ground transportation area and it caused a ripple effect throughout Pier 91.  That of course does not excuse the lack of a lift bus for your family.  So sorry.  Even though the ground transportation folks  were able to provide a van transport for you daughter, it sounds that she was distressed, and due to the seating configuration of the van you were unable to help and comfort her.  How awful for you all.  I am so sorry.

I hope the rest of your trip home went well, and that you have wonderful memories of your Alaska cruise.  I also hope that you don't give up on Seattle and that you give us another chance!

OH, Ferry_Watcher! Of course! We loved Seattle. We flew in and stayed for a few days before taking the Amtrak Cascades train to Vancouver. Totally loved our hotel located in Pioneer Square right next to King St. Station. I realize "stuff happens".... No blame to Seattle! For all practical purposes our transfer to the airport ended up being free in the end. I don't think Royal will let that happen a second time. The rest of our trip home was tiring but uneventful. We made it home by midnight, eastern std time. And were in bed by 4 AM. It took us about 4 hours to get our daughter bathed, all her night time meds, and routines finished. Still recovering from what feels like jet lag. But OOH! What a trip that was. Once in a lifetime, to be sure!

PS I think I will do a trip report on this one. It was pretty special!

Edited by CruiszBug
  • Like 1