Payment due date

cruzadict

I have booked, and paid the deposit on the Xmas/New Year cruise on the QM2 via a travel agent and they are requesting final payment of 13 weeks before the cruise. I find this really strange considering that Cunard's policy is 8 weeks before travel ( we live in the UK). I can appreciate that perhaps the TA would need the money maybe a week earlier than this. Has anyone else come across this and if I were to not pay the final payment on 12th September would Cunard cancel my cruise? With all the problems within the travel sector at present I am not really happy with handing over a considerable amount of money 5 weeks earlier than needed.

It's probably a policy set by the TA and not Cunard. I know I've been surprised at how wildly the final payment date can fluxuate when I've requested quotes from multiple agencies.

You could try talking to your TA to see if they'll bend - after all, if the line doesn't require their payment until 8 weeks out, that may give you some leverage. 13 weeks seems excessive...

If you do pay, you may consider paying with a credit card ( you can pay it all off when you get the statement). If UK rules are similar to those here in USA, paying with a credit card does give you some protection against fraud.

I would also try to find out if the payment is made out to Cunard or to the TA, I would never pay to the agency, only to Cunard, but that is me.

Best wishes for a stress free payment

Lyn

In the UK you only need to pay something by credit card in order to get the Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act protection.

The trouble is that mose TAs charge a premium if you are paying by credit card and it is often cheaper to obtain an overdraft.

What many people in the UK do is pay the deposit on a credit card with the balance paid by a debit card or a bank transfer. That way you get the protection without having to pay too much of a premium.

My TA requests payment just two weeks prior to the Cunard deadline.

I would be inclined to have a word with your TA and suggest to them that you are not quite happy with this and see how they respond.

Hope all goes well for you.

Judy

cruzadict - I agree with what you are saying. There is no justifiable reason for a TA to receive payment five weeks before they have to pay the cruiseline - and that is if they do actually pay there and then rather than monthly on account. I can only think that it helps their own cashflow situation (not the customer's) and it allows for those who pay late. I have always paid by the date requested but I am sure if it was two weeks late it would be ok. For our December cruise the TA has requested payment10 weeks before departure which I consider to be fair. Sadly most agents are now slapping on a 2% charge for credit card use so I have reverted to paying by cheque so they now have to wait for it to clear. I might as well use cheques while I still can as they are to be phased out here in the UK by around 2018.

MCC Retired - That is the condition in the US, our (UK) brochure still states 8 weeks. I have just spoken to the TA and agreed that I will send a cheque for them to receive by the 20th - don't want to pay by Credit Card as this will incur a 2% charge. This will then be 12 weeks before. This is not my normal TA, only used them as they had a good offer. My normal TA only expects payment for any cruise 4 days prior to the cruise company's conditions. As you say it must help their cashflow terrifically.

The latest Cunard Brochure now states final payment is due 90 days before sailing . 13 weeks x 7 days = 91 days :rolleyes:

Nothing fishy going on at all.:)

But that is in the US....

Things are different over here. 56 days is standard - unless it is a world cruise or world cruise sector in which case it is indeed 90 days.

I am totally confused.

If in 2018 you will not be able to pay by cheque, how will the public pay for goods. Surely not everyone in the UK has a debit card account?

Does this mean no mail order stores.? Realise this is not a cruising question per se, but I am so astonished to read this information I just had to ask.

Cruises do have to be paid for after all.

I have booked, and paid the deposit on the Xmas/New Year cruise on the QM2 via a travel agent and they are requesting final payment of 13 weeks before the cruise. I find this really strange considering that Cunard's policy is 8 weeks before travel ( we live in the UK). I can appreciate that perhaps the TA would need the money maybe a week earlier than this. Has anyone else come across this and if I were to not pay the final payment on 12th September would Cunard cancel my cruise? With all the problems within the travel sector at present I am not really happy with handing over a considerable amount of money 5 weeks earlier than needed.

I've always had to pay a travel agent the final amount 90 days before a cruise. This is normal.

I am totally confused.

If in 2018 you will not be able to pay by cheque, how will the public pay for goods. Surely not everyone in the UK has a debit card account?

Does this mean no mail order stores.? Realise this is not a cruising question per se, but I am so astonished to read this information I just had to ask.

Most people in the UK have a bank account. With these accounts you will get a cheque book and a debit card.

Paying for mail order goods you have the choice of paying by cheque, postal order, debit card, credit card or by transfer over the internet.

I am totally confused.

I cannot even remember the last time I used a cheque... if you have a cheque book you will have a debit card.

My children aged 19 and 22 both work and have only been issued with a debit card, not a cheque book.

If fact I now remember when I used a cheque book, it was to pay for school trips.......

MCC Retired - That is the condition in the US, our (UK) brochure still states 8 weeks. I have just spoken to the TA and agreed that I will send a cheque for them to receive by the 20th - don't want to pay by Credit Card as this will incur a 2% charge. This will then be 12 weeks before. This is not my normal TA, only used them as they had a good offer. My normal TA only expects payment for any cruise 4 days prior to the cruise company's conditions. As you say it must help their cashflow terrifically.

Is it possible that this TA is not in the UK but in the US ? Possibly why they had a such good offer ? A US TA can book a UK resident as long as a US address (such as the TA address ) is used . ;)

Is it possible that this TA is not in the UK but in the US ? Possibly why they had a such good offer ? A US TA can book a UK resident as long as a US address (such as the TA address ) is used . ;)

It is certainly possible - but at present UK pricing isn't that bad compared to US.

And I'm sure that the poster would have said where the agent was - but still it is possible.

Just unlikely, IMHO.

Our TA wants the balance 16 weeks before our trip - a partial World Cruise. I have contacted them but they will not be moved. They want the balance on 15thSep despite the fact that I have a Cunard customer copy of the itinerary which states that the balance is due to Cunard on 15thOct.:mad:

Our TA wants the balance 16 weeks before our trip - a partial World Cruise. I have contacted them but they will not be moved. They want the balance on 15thSep despite the fact that I have a Cunard customer copy of the itinerary which states that the balance is due to Cunard on 15thOct.:mad:

Don't book with them again. And tell them why.

Archived