Room Service-Does It Take A Long Time?

SeaboundQT

Me again :rolleyes: wondering about room service (mainly for breakfast) is this ordered the evening before or the morning of, and with all those onboard who may also be ordering room service - does it take quite awhile for it to be delivered to your room? (we are concierge class - will that help at all?) Many thanks, Lisa

I've done a mixture of evening before and morning of and I find the accuracy much better if I put it on the card the evening before. Trouble is sometimes I can't get my head around what I really want until the morning so more often than not I ring up at 8am. It never seems to take longer than half an hour.

Phil

We've found that it can take from about 1/2 hour to about an hour for a full breakfast order that is phoned in depending on the time and how busy they are. They will be much busier on early port mornings when a lot of people are getting ready to get off the ship around the same time.

Over the years we've ended up having breakfast in our room just on mornings when we're doing an early excursion. These times we use the menu order form that you hang on your door knob the night before - this usually works out pretty good timing wise and it works as a wake up call as well (they call the room when they are on their way, usually 1 to 3 minute notice). On mornings when we don't have to get up early on a schedule we usually just go to the buffet. The selection is great there and some items, like eggs or pancakes, are better. That way we don't have to either plan ahead nor wait for a room service order when we're ready to eat.

I also want to add that in my experience when we use the card from the night before they tended to arrive at the early side of the window - i.e., if we chose delivery between 7:00 - 7:30 it would come at 7:00, and more than once it came at 6:50ish. They usually called first as it's about to be delivered. When we did not use the card it took between 30 to 45 mins, of course that all depends on how busy they are when you place your order (and they usually told us how long the expected wait was).

We loved the Aqua Spa Cafe for breakfast - kept us from being too bad first thing in the a.m. - I did however have to grab a plate of hash occasionally as it is a weakness of mine :eek:

Ummmm, wishing someone would know on my front door right now with a room service delivery!

Last year (June '09) my friend and I got unexpectedly upgraded to Concierge Class, the first time for either of us with a veranda. I had never used the room service before on any of my 9 cruises. We had several early excursions, so for those days we ordered room service for breakfast the night before and the food came right on time. We didn't have anything extensive, but it was nice not to have to rush around at a time when the full food venues were not operating.

I prefer to eat in the MDR or the waffle station, occasionally the buffet depending on time available, but room service on those extra early days was wonderful.

If you're new to X, make sure to try the Belgian waffles and specify that they be "crispy". Occasionally, due to the enormous demand and line, the waffle guy doesn't let them go long enough on the griddle. The waffle station is located aft of the buffet, opening onto an open deck. They have numerous toppings besides regular and sugar-free syrup. The sugar-free lets me eat waffles several times a cruise without guilt, lol. There is also a selection of breakfast meats and fruit plus coffee and a juice station so you can get everything there and not have to go into the buffet for them. When the juice machine is out, the waiter gets me some from the buffet. The wait staff is great no matter where you are.

We always do room service in the moring for fruit and coffee. We use the card and put it out the night before. Timing...as the OP said, arrival time is usually on the early side of the time frame BUT....they do call the room prior to arriving so you have some notice-at least this was the drill on the Equinox. One of the highlights of our vacation is sitting on the balcony having our coffee and fresh fruit in the morning (or wine in the afternoon).

We also love to have breakfast on the balcony - especially on excursion mornings! The Concierge menu is fabulous and we've also found that bk usually arrives on the early side of time requested - especially after the first morning when I have our cabin door open early and the steward realizes that we're awake! A hint - coffee is usually served with those small creams - neither my DH or I enjoy them so I order a small container of milk and then keep it in the frig for the next morning. Also, don't forget to order butter or jelly if you're having toast, rolls, etc. My personal favorite is the Yogurt Parfait - yogurt, granola and berries swirled in a glass - great way to begin! We also often order fruit and then keep it in the frig for later in the afternoon.

Enjoy your cruise!!

Archived