BA Strike

world~citizen

Ah, yes. The "mass meeting" attended by "thousands and thousands" of cabin crew - or about 1,500, according to a more official claim by BASSA.

Do you know what a meeting of 1,500 people looks like? In BASSA's parallel universe, it's a bit like this:-

46730_495744779618_540154618_7047961_6579673_n.jpg

For context, the room had a maximum legal capacity of 850.

No wonder there will be no effect on Gatwick or London City operations, and 100% of longhaul flights will operate.

I love the little piles of tribute laid at the feet of the union leaders.

Or perhaps it's a memorial to these peoples' careers.

:D

The flowers came from a suggestion that the 6 September meeting be dedicated to the cabin crew who have been sacked or suspended for misconduct during the dispute. Those attending the meeting were asked to consider wearing an item of yellow clothing, a yellow ribbon or a yellow flower. The yellow flowers would then be collected and taken to Manchester to be placed as a tribute on the memorial for those who died in the accident there 25 years ago.

Whether this was appropriate and fitting, or an attempt to manipulate opinion, is a matter of personal view. You may take the view that in truth, this was just another attempt at a PR stunt, except that nobody pays any attention to these other than the fully Kool-Aided hardcore members.

For context (in no particular order):-

1. The meeting was also attended by two small children wearing “BA sacked my Mum” T-shirts, supposedly as a “very poignant and a timely reminder that decent ordinary crew are losing their livelihoods due to one man’s bullying and intransigence”. (Whether that man is BA’s chief executive or the BASSA branch secretary – who has taken to “outing” by name people who have offended him by working during the strike or expressing contrary views – has not been clarified.)
  2. BASSA has compared its position to that of the North Vietnamese during the Vietnam war, suggesting that BA will lose like the US did.
  3. BASSA has compared its position to that of the British forces at the battle of Waterloo, suggesting that BA’s chief executive is like a doomed Napoleon.
  4. BASSA has compared its struggle to that of Nelson Mandela against apartheid.
  5. BASSA has compared itself to the US Marines raising the US flag on Iwo Jima.
  6. BASSA has compared the sacked and suspended cabin crew to the “disappeared” in Argentina.
  7. BASSA has suggested that BA’s actions are like Kristallnacht in pre-WWII Germany; compared those who don’t agree with BASSA with those who stood by while the N@zis targeted various ethnic groups (citing the famous poem about that); and accused BA of wishing to pursue a “final solution” for cabin crew.

Some people may think that BASSA has lost all perspective when they cannot even understand that what they say is flatly offensive to every right-thinking person. It's small wonder that so many of BASSA's own members don't heed the leadership any more, and that BASSA is representing a diminishing proportion of cabin crew.

But I hasten to add that the problems (IMHO) lie within BASSA, the branch, and not really with UNITE, the big union of which BASSA is part. A different (and very serious) problem was recently resolved by a different branch of UNITE, which then wrote this:-

FYI

I want to extend my sincere congratulations to the Unite members and shop stewards from Corus [formerly known as British Steel] on Teesside on a great conclusion to their campaign to save their plant from closure. I want also to single out my colleague TP our National Officer for his superb leadership throughout the crisis that threatened the future of 2,000 jobs there.

Over the last six months T and the team have worked quietly and patiently to get agreement with Corus to sell the plant and then go onto secure a buyer for the business. The campaign was based on a clear strategy that involved organising the workforce, winning the support of the local community and influencing local politicians.

There was no full frontal assault on the company in the media. There was no public sabre rattling so the media were never given an opportunity to divide the community. All the focus was on saving the jobs and the local economy.

The sale to the Thai steel producer SSI is great news for the workforce on Teesside and is even more glorious given that the deal was done at no expense to other Corus workers. This year’s pay settlement at the steel giant was 3.2% well above the average for this year.

Ironically this success story will never be afforded legendary status. It wasn’t a romantic glorious defeat, with slogans and marches and strikes and thousands of column inches devoted to the notoriety of an individual. It was just a clear example of Unite at its best and a model for the Unite I want to see develop in every sector. In future we need to be disciplined, strategic and focused on winning for our members.

LB

You hardly need to look between the lines to see what others in UNITE think of BASSA.

My understanding is that UNITE also organizes firefighters and baggage handlers.

Will it ever stop in Great Britain?

UNITE also represents some steel workers -see the quote above. So just because a group is represented by UNITE, it doesn't mean that they're going on strike - or, for that matter, being difficult (let alone intransigent).

UNITE has recently signed agreements with BA on behalf of ground staff (I think including baggage handlers), and with BAA (the airport company) on behalf of airport staff including firefighters, averting a strike which had been balloted for.

So before lumping every work group represented by UNITE into the same category, or making wild generalisations about union activites in the UK, it pays to understand a bit about what is going on here.

So before lumping every work group represented by UNITE into the same category, or making wild generalisations about union activites in the UK, it pays to understand a bit about what is going on here.

I am unaware of any wild generalizations:D

This link gives you a flavour of the situation in Great Britain and as you may know, many more could be posted.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1311337/Britain-brink-Unions-warn-crippling-strikes-civil-disobedience-forms-protest.html

Of course, the labour tradition in GB is culturally specific.

I look at it with a sense of bewilderment, not judgement.

Smooth sailing to you...

Interesting thing about BA and Virgin and airports and labour relations in Great Britain.

There seems to always be a hint of industrial action in the air. As a passenger and paying customer, I don't think I should have to take a certificate in British labour relations to understand with greater clarity if my holiday is going to be ruined.

I just don't fly a British carrier or through the UK.

Its too bad.

I know what you mean but I don't see one on the horizon.

From my myopic perspective Lufthansa's unions may strike - a labour action which they appear to use (rarely) as one of many tools.

In the case of BA, way before the now vilified Willie Walsh came aboard, it appeared the unions and the company were engaged in a perpetual state of war. The rhetoric is hyperbolic.

I have been occasionally looking at the press statements from parties concerned, and I swear to you, it seems to me sometimes these guys are operating without adult supervision.

I don't see it getting better and I don't see prospects for them getting better. That leads to uncertainty - an uncertainty (or so it seems) deliberately generated to improve bargaining positions.

Maybe I'm wrong, but as they say you get to choose.

I choose for greater peace of mind.

This link gives you a flavour of the situation in Great Britain and as you may know, many more could be posted.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1311337/Britain-brink-Unions-warn-crippling-strikes-civil-disobedience-forms-protest.html

The Daily Mail only gives a flavour of the situation in Great Britain if you believe:

a) the world's asylum seekers are waiting in northern France for the next Eurostar bogie en-route to GB prime to be jumped aboard...

b) everyone is out to cheat the benefit system

c) the world's asylum seekers are out to cheat the benefit system

d) homosexuality is going to bring about an untimely end to the human race

e) there's something about Princess Diana to report

From my myopic perspective Lufthansa's unions may strike - a labour action which they appear to use (rarely) as one of many tools.
They've used it recently, and affected the airline's operations very badly for the duration of the strikes.

I don't know whether that dispute has been resolved.

I have been occasionally looking at the press statements from parties concerned, and I swear to you, it seems to me sometimes these guys are operating without adult supervision.
As far as the current dispute with BASSA is concerned, that is absolutely correct. But it's a union branch that the entire company - including all the other trade union branches in the company - has turned on.

But your view that UK airlines suffer more strike threats and disruption than other airlines is a distinctly lopsided view of the world. Some UK unions are long on rhetoric and short on common sense. But, in general, the UK strike record is better than in many (possibly most) European countries. That goes for airlines as well as industry in general. There is far more disruption to air transport from labour unrest in other European countries.

So why pick on the UK?

Actually BA was our preferred carrier and now it is Lufthansa/Swiss.

This is as a result of labour actions.

Make of it what you will and smooth sailing....:)

Same for us: we preferred BA because of direct flights from PHX to London, but after our last experience, we don't plan to fly them again. It was not just the labor action. It was the random security check and the way it was handled, unnecessary rudeness: telling my husband (some disabilities) not to sit down, not being willing to tell him if I would be on the plane when the plane was boarding, plus the fact that they erroneously cancelled our return flight and we lost our seating and had to get boarding passes at three stops.

We'll take our chances with another airline.

Same for us: we preferred BA because of direct flights from PHX to London, but after our last experience, we don't plan to fly them again. It was not just the labor action. It was the random security check and the way it was handled, unnecessary rudeness: telling my husband (some disabilities) not to sit down, not being willing to tell him if I would be on the plane when the plane was boarding

BA have no control over security.

BA have no control over security.

I think that is wrong. We went through the TSA checks with no problem. For some reason we were flagged for an additional check by BA. This was carried out by people wearing BA uniforms, and the gate attendant was also wearing a BA uniform.

There are other factors that confirm this, such as the fact that I wrote them a letter, and they did not deny it in their response.

For some reason we were flagged for an additional check by BA. This was carried out by people wearing BA uniforms, and the gate attendant was also wearing a BA uniform.
There may be additional security checks at the gate when that airport's security is not up to standard, or when there is a time of particularly heightened threat, or when governments require them to take place.

But BA doesn't do this themselves. I have often seen staff of one of BA's regular contractors wearing uniforms which are very similar to BA's own uniforms, so I'm not surprised that you thought that they were BA. Rudeness isn't acceptable, and you were quite right to complain about it.

Back to the main topic, namely those pesky always-threatening-to-strike British unions, the OP may be disappointed to learn that UNITE and GMB, the two unions representing BA customer service staff, have secured an overwhelming vote from its membership to accept new working practices.

Mick Rix, national officer of the GMB, said: "This vote is a ringing endorsement of all the hard work done by GMB workplace representatives at BA over 12 months to achieve a negotiated settlement to secure a future for the airline.

"GMB members hope that the future for BA will be bright and that when growth resumes that the prosperity can be shared between our members and the company."

BA's chief executive, Willie Walsh, said: "This is another important step towards securing permanent structural change and the long term future of the company. It also underlines our commitment to working with all of our trade unions, including Unite.

"I'm delighted that our colleagues have voted in favour of the productivity deal that offers them future job security and will provide a more flexible, cost-efficient and customer-focused ground operation at Heathrow."

I think that is wrong. We went through the TSA checks with no problem. For some reason we were flagged for an additional check by BA. This was carried out by people wearing BA uniforms, and the gate attendant was also wearing a BA uniform.

There are other factors that confirm this, such as the fact that I wrote them a letter, and they did not deny it in their response.

Actually it isn't.

Where did this extra check take place? You said TSA checks so therefore the US makes sense but I know a lot of people use TSA as a byword for security anywhere in the world. I've flown BA from numerous US airports back to the UK and never had a second security check, random or otherwise, even at times of heightened security.

After the guy set fire to his clothing last Xmas there was indeed an extra security check for all flights headed to the US. At Terminal 5 (LHR) this was administered by G4S, a private security agency (who have similar uniforms and colour scheme to BA), and you then entered a separate, secure part of the terminal which you could not leave.

Since the compulsory security check for all passengers was suspended in April or thereabouts secondary checks for random passengers do take place just after you hand your boarding pass over at the gate, again these are handled by G4S and BA staff are on hand beside them (in part doing gate agent work amongst other things) but they do not handle the security checks.

As Globaliser said rudeness is not acceptable but the fact someone does not deny something does not mean it is true!

Actually it isn't.

Where did this extra check take place? You said TSA checks so therefore the US makes sense but I know a lot of people use TSA as a byword for security anywhere in the world. I've flown BA from numerous US airports back to the UK and never had a second security check, random or otherwise, even at times of heightened security.

Since the compulsory security check for all passengers was suspended in April or thereabouts secondary checks for random passengers do take place just after you hand your boarding pass over at the gate, again these are handled by G4S and BA staff are on hand beside them (in part doing gate agent work amongst other things) but they do not handle the security checks.

As Globaliser said rudeness is not acceptable but the fact someone does not deny something does not mean it is true!

Our names were called, our passports were taken, and we were taken to another level of the BA terminal. The staff were behind the gate at certain times and dressed like the gate attendant.

I am all for security, but no one in the group looked amused when it was over, and we were again given our passports. And the passengers' traveling companions were extremely concerned. One elderly woman became upset and wanted to go with her husband.

Back to the main topic, namely those pesky always-threatening-to-strike British unions, the OP may be disappointed to learn that UNITE and GMB, the two unions representing BA customer service staff, have secured an overwhelming vote from its membership to accept new working practices.

Or he may not be disappointed. :)

I am not. I am delighted.:D

I am less delighted with this release:

First and business class passengers have been warned that the British Airways cabin crew may go on strike again at Christmas. This comes as a result of talks to end the strikes, not progressing as hoped.

With the current cutbacks proposed by the UK government, unions are quite torn with respect to how to deal with them:

http://blogs.notw.co.uk/politics/2010/09/dont-strike-over-cuts-says-union-boss.html

The only point I am making is that if Christmas travel is critical to you, these are considerations one should keep in mind.

I have low tolerance for unions playing politics with Christmas travel. No one more than me hopes for a happy, strike free holiday season.

Smooth sailing...

Archived