WE MISSED THE BOAT! A cruisin USA "LONG and LENGTHY" DESTINY Review

cruisin USA

Hello to All,

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!

for all your kind replies. I started this review just over a week ago. I never dreamed that it would get over 20,000 hits!!! and over 200 replies!!!(Thank You again!).

I've finally had a chance to go over some of the questions posed within this review. I've decided to have a short Q & A for you to ask questions about things that I didn't cover...

For example.....

tink360 asked me "I don't know if you posted this and I missed it - sorry I didn't ask sooner. Were the "kids" so surprised and pleased at their balcony cabin?"

...Well, the kids were lucky enough to fly in the night before, since Air Tran changed their flight time for their "day of" flight. Air Tran didn't charge us for that. The kids were suprised and happy to get a balcony....The bad part of it all was that I didn't get to see their faces when they found out...heavy sigh.

Eeyoregon asked me....."OP: I am new to Carnival and would LOVE to do this behind the scenes tour. Where do you sign up? When? Cost?"

You sign up at the excursion desk.(on the Destiny it's right in the atrium area). I would suggest that you sign up as soon as possible, as only 30 or so people can get in. The cost? I believe it was $75 a person, although it may be more now.

One thing I did forget to mention, was that later that day, there were FABULOUS patries sent to us, in our cabin. Thanking us for visiting the Galley.

61088_1261552357314_1784860035_513268_2867522_n.jpg

Joy&TomStl asked "What camera did you use for these pics?"

I used a Canon SD780S throughout the trip. Not a bad camera. Easy to use...I use it mostly for my concert shots...

LibraByTheSea said "From your pix, you look like a mix of Jimmy Buffet and Sammy Hagar

No wonder you stayed so mellow"

Well Libra...We're a little more like AEROSMITH!!!

16866_1102078010555_1784860035_201987_6036330_n.jpg

On a closing note(for now)....I probably won't be posting the FUNTIMES, or too many more pics, unless it illustrates an answer I give. For FUNTIMES and more pics of the ship, I recommend Froufies excellent Destiny review....Froufie and I will both be on the Destiny in Feb...You can expect 2 LNL reviews!!!

Well gang, It's time I get back to work, but if you have ANY other questions, feel free to ask....

Gary aka cruisin USA

OP: Thank you for your wonderful review and refreshing attitude!!

I know several posters have mentioned the importance of flying in the day before, etc. What hasn't been mentioned is the importance of passports, especially in your situation because had you not had passports (just cards or birth certificates) you wouldn't have been able to fly in and meet the ship, correct? There are 6 of us cruising in October and 2 in our group do not have passports and aren't getting them, sigh. But what can I do???

Looking forward to more!

Gina

Oh no. Just read another post where people were not allowed to board because they didn't have passports. It's now required. Sounds like this just changed. Hope the people in your party still have time to get their passports or they are going to be very sad.

Gary,

Maybe you can help. Can you tell me how much the drink of the day runs? Someone posted they are now over $10. Is this true?

Thanks so much and if you think of any other destiny details....let us know!

thanks again for the great review!

Sharon

Oh no. Just read another post where people were not allowed to board because they didn't have passports. It's now required. Sounds like this just changed. Hope the people in your party still have time to get their passports or they are going to be very sad.

They were trying to use a Birth Record NOT a Birth Certificate..

Birth Records are very often issued by the hospital and do not include the raised seal...

You are not Required to have a Passport but it does make it much easier and will be required in the future.

LOve the pic with aerosmith :)

Thanks about Froufie...BUT...she posted the 5 night

I actulaly did not post ANYTHING yet as my Destiny b2b is scheduled for next February 2011.....so you will have to wait quite a while for my pics and review! :D:D

I did post my Valor reivew w/pics (see link below) and hope to do something similar next February!!! Really looking forward to my cruise on the Destiny (and will make sure the ship doesn't leave without Gary and Mary Ann!:eek:;))

OH SORRY

I am sailing before you...Oct 28

so I am still looking for the 4 night recent Destiny Fun Times :)

thanks

No problem - so I guess I'll be looking for your review and 'sharing' of the Fun Times? :D:D

Have a great cruise!:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to All,

Sorry about this last minute post..... Mary Ann and I just got back from Vegas yesterday. ALWAYS a GREAT time!! (didn't make any money). Before we let this thread sink, I'd like to address a couple last items.

1st...Sorry folks, I don't tell people where my business is. You sure can meet me on a cruise(come with us on the Destiny next Feb 7), but it's against my blogger policy to discuss my "wheareabouts" or "specifics" of my business". I will tell you now that we are considering joining a cruise critic group in 2012. (Either that, or the Kid Rock cruise).

2nd Sorry about the mix up Froufie, on your review. I had read another similiar review to yours earlier, and mixed the 2 up.(Looking Forward to meeting you in Feb.)

3rd....Someone asked about this cabin vs. suite. While the suites are nice, I just like the aft wrap better. They can keep the fridge, the tub,(and all the NOISY foot traffic that passes by the suites because of the central location).

4th Srmn...I think the cost of a DOTD was $8 when we went, but I've heard similiar stories about the $10 price tag nowadays.

5th, and one last note. A lot of you have commented on my positive attitude in this review. I've read quite a few reviews on this board, and it seems that some peeps let the smallest things bother them. One review mentioned the "tragedy" of a cracked door in the back of the ship. Like I told Irv."You can go through life pleasently suprised or sadly disappointed".

It's up to you to decide. You can always find something to complain about or critique, but unless it directly affects you(weather or propulsion problems excluded...hehe), why not just relax and enjoy your vacation!!(and don't sweat the small stuff) And if you don't like lemon drops?.....Well, how about "If life hand you lemons,........

........Demand Tequila and Salt!!!"

Signing off for now,....Bon Voyage!!

58765_1257476935431_1784860035_506028_2772746_n.jpg

Gary aka cruisin USA

We're fine. Passports are not required. Think there was some confusion recently as Carnival just sent this email to us yesterday to help settle any incorrect rumors.

September 29, 2010

Dear Carnival Guests:

Your FunShip cruise is right around the corner, and while you may not be packing just yet, we thought we'd remind you of what "not to forget". Yes, yes, your dancing shoes and your bathing suit ARE a must, but so is bringing proper proof of citizenship with you! Without your travel documents, you can't check-in or get on this FunShip! So be prepared.

U.S. Citizens, we suggest you bring your passport, but for other acceptable travel documents, see below or visit us at Carnival.com. If you are a Non-U.S. citizen, please consult your travel agent or consulate.

• Passport Card
  • Original or suitable (legible) quality copy of a Birth Certificate (Issued by the Department of Vital Statistics)
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)
  • Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card, e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card
  • A Consular Report of Birth Abroad

Copies of the following will NOT be allowed:

• U.S. Passports
  • Naturalization Papers

Originals, nor copies, of the following will NOT be allowed:

• Baptismal Certificates
  • Hospital "Certificate of Birth"

A government-issued photo ID is also required for all guests, including children 16 and over. For more information on WHTI-compliant documents, Click Here.

And while we have you, don't forget to pre-register for your cruise at Carnival.Com/BookedGuests and print your boarding pass.

Thanks for choosing Carnival! We can't wait to welcome you onboard and show you all the fun and exciting activities we have in store for you.

See you soon!

Carnival Cruise Lines

Just a note regarding the above - about the NEXUS card (I have one) - which might be a good alternative for those not wanting to get passports (altho I guess they may be required for flying in and out of foreign countries). Here in Canada the NEXUS card was $50 for 5 years (not sure how much a US passport costs these days?) and was FREE for children under 18. (I carry a passport and my NEXUS card cuz the best perk is skipping all the 'slow' and busy custom lines and going thru the special NEXUS line - also avoids customs delays/searches since you are pre-screened and considered a 'trusted traveller'!)

Just got thru reading this. Thanks so much for sharing. You are a better person than me. I would be looking thru the bulls eye of a gun for someone to shoot! :mad::(:mad: Been on the Destiny a few times and she is a sentimental fave of mine just because she was really the ship that got us HOOKED on cruising and CCL. Also the lst ship we took our DS'es on. I "don't remember" her having balcony cabins...maybe she was in dry dock after we were on her?? THANK YOU for the detailed description of the behind the scenes tour. I have wanted to go on one ever since I learned of them, but for "personal reasons" I haven't booked, and your narrative really took me there. Happy Cruising to you! :D;)

• 1 year later...

***Stands on invisible table***

BRAVO!! BRAVO!! BRAVO!!!!!

So, I'm going to the next Destiny review. I know you've been told this a ton of times before, but you write and take the audience with you. Thanks for taking the time to write this review & direct me to it as well...

PS-The beginning of this review had my blood pressure up...hahaha I couldn't imagine!! (((I'm driving in a day and half early for that very reason))

Glad you revived this review. Loved it. Read it end to end tonight. Finished just in time as I think my laptop is about to shut down. It's funny, since my last Nov Destiny Cruise I kept thinking this would be the perfect ship and Intinery combination for my first back to back.

Cruisin' I'm only on page 1 of your Review but i just had to chime in about Delta airlines. It must be something about Detroit's Delta Airlines employees...the worst..absolutely worst service i experienced. I was flying into Detroit to make my connection home and we kept circling and circling for about 45mins to land. I knew i was going to miss my connection flight. I was worried and asked the flight attendant she snapped at me stating that, 'if we are having problems landing then other flights are going to be delayed taking off'. She was quite rude. When i got off the flight i asked the Delta rep at the gate to call my connection gate to let them know i'm coming because of our late landing. They looked at me like i had 2 heads on my shoulder and wouldn't do it. And I quote, "we only do paging for emergencies!" WHAT!?:eek: i was like oh my lawd. So i run literally from one end to another barely make it...but the gate door just shut and the plane was still there. Delta Rep refused and then she told me i would have to pay for a connection flight to home and a hotel for the night!:eek: It was 8:45pm last flight left. I swore i NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER fly Delta:mad:

Sorry to hijack but bad memories came to surface when i was reading about the way Delta treated you. I'm soo soo sorry.

Now back to your review..:D

Archived