Loyal RCCL taking first X cruise any questions?

Sue L

Hi All

I am leaving on Saturday for my first X cruise on the Solstice, so excited about this ship. It is my 16th cruise overall, several on Princess, a few of Carnival and some on some lines that don't exist anymore as well as 8 on Royal.

When I first booked I had a lot of questions on differences and similarities to RCCL, so I figured other might also.

Any one have any questions? I will attempt to answer when I get back!!!

Sue....I am following right behind you on my first ever X sailing on Solstice also this Jan:cool:....looking forward to your review:)....are you going Eastern or Western???....I am taking the Eastern.

Doing Western, can't wait, been to all the ports except Costa Maya, but the last couple of cruises have been SOOOOOO busy in the Med and a TA that this one was picked for relaxation and rest!

Might want to read the posts after our return on Sept 5 from the Aug 29, 2010 sailing. It was ours and lots of others 1st Celebrity cruise and the ship is great but we will be so glad to be back with RCCL in Nov on the Oasis. Will not be a Celebrity convert anytime soon, imho.

Might want to read the posts after our return on Sept 5 from the Aug 29, 2010 sailing. It was ours and lots of others 1st Celebrity cruise and the ship is great but we will be so glad to be back with RCCL in Nov on the Oasis. Will not be a Celebrity convert anytime soon, imho.

Just briefly read some of the comments from your Roll call seems that most loved the ship. What specifically didn't you like?

Me too. I'm Diamond Plus with RCL and leaving on Celebrity Equinox in a few weeks. It's my first time with Celebrity & going with Aqua class for a real change of pace.

Enjoy your cruise. I sure will!

Have a wonderful time, we are doing Conceirge class. looking forward to it. I di not want to be committed to Blu

Just briefly read some of the comments from your Roll call seems that most loved the ship. What specifically didn't you like?

I did say the ship itself was great and we did have a good time - it's a cruise for goodness sakes, that's not the problem. Some things we didn't like were our bathroom - we were in a Celebrity Suite and it was almost 1/2 the size of Sky Suite bathroom which costs considerably less. The Oceanview Cafe (Windjammer counterpart) was just average most days and less on others. Wait staff not eager to clear away plates so lots of walking around to find a place to eat, self-serve drinks so lots of wet floors and mopping going on, ick. Service in MDR for us was great (but only ate there twice) but bad for our friends even after they went to the maitre d'! Michael's Club hours ridiculous, 8:30 - 10:00 am and then Sky Lounge from 4-6 pm which is way too early for 2nd seating guests to begin cocktails, imho. Cabin steward and Butler were excellent and room service meals served by the Butler really nice. Murano was fabulous (went twice) Tuscan Grille not so much (cancelled 2nd reservation there) and we really enjoyed Silk Harvest. Didn't try Blu. Food, except for Murano, was definitely not better than RCCL overall, imho. DH enjoyed the Mayan Ruins lectures and White House author lectures. Entertainment ok, nothing to rave about overall (similiar to other ships, some act good, some not so good). We will do Celebrity again, only on Solstice class ships, only is great itinerary and if the price is right. Certainly not worth premium prices, imho.

Thanks for the offer. I am an RCL loyalist who is considering trying X because people said it caters more to the "older" crowd. While we are 50-somethings, we don't consider ourselves "older" but we are empty nesters, so not really looking for a family oriented experience, been there done that with kids, and we're couch potatos so no wall climbing or zip lining for us.

Having said that, the entertainment is very important to us, quality as well as quantity. Loved loved loved the Oasis since there were so many alternatives to do every night, not just shows but venues. I would like a comparison as to whether Celebrity offers as much variance and quality in their entertainment and in what they offer to do, not just shows. Thanks!

Have a wonderful time, we are doing Conceirge class. looking forward to it. I di not want to be committed to Blu

Same here....we have 3 CC cabins in a row right on the hump with extended balconies.....prices right now are just fantastic on Solstice....we actually just had another price drop 2 days ago....and being D on Royal has made me Elite on X....nice little perk. Oh yea....and we can bring wine:)

Same here....we have 3 CC cabins in a row right on the hump with extended balconies.....prices right now are just fantastic on Solstice....we actually just had another price drop 2 days ago....and being D on Royal has made me Elite on X....nice little perk. Oh yea....and we can bring wine:)

We have the back end hump 9241, which from reports has a great balcony, hope they were right, lol. Last cruise for the Med had 9256 on the Brillance so super spoiled.

We recently booked our first X cruise (not until March 2012 though :rolleyes:). I'm interested to hear whether the food is better than RCL. I know this is subjective but I've heard it's good and at least the menu will be different (hopefully). I'm also very interested to hear about exercise classes. Increasingly there are fewer free classes and more paid-for classes or 'seminars' in the fitness centre - none of which appeal to me.

We have the back end hump 9241, which from reports has a great balcony, hope they were right, lol. Last cruise for the Med had 9256 on the Brillance so super spoiled.

:eek:LOLOL....take care of that cabin for me....that is the exact cabin my wife and I are in:)....small world:cool:

I did say the ship itself was great and we did have a good time - it's a cruise for goodness sakes, that's not the problem. Some things we didn't like were our bathroom - we were in a Celebrity Suite and it was almost 1/2 the size of Sky Suite bathroom which costs considerably less. The Oceanview Cafe (Windjammer counterpart) was just average most days and less on others. Wait staff not eager to clear away plates so lots of walking around to find a place to eat, self-serve drinks so lots of wet floors and mopping going on, ick. Service in MDR for us was great (but only ate there twice) but bad for our friends even after they went to the maitre d'! Michael's Club hours ridiculous, 8:30 - 10:00 am and then Sky Lounge from 4-6 pm which is way too early for 2nd seating guests to begin cocktails, imho. Cabin steward and Butler were excellent and room service meals served by the Butler really nice. Murano was fabulous (went twice) Tuscan Grille not so much (cancelled 2nd reservation there) and we really enjoyed Silk Harvest. Didn't try Blu. Food, except for Murano, was definitely not better than RCCL overall, imho. DH enjoyed the Mayan Ruins lectures and White House author lectures. Entertainment ok, nothing to rave about overall (similiar to other ships, some act good, some not so good). We will do Celebrity again, only on Solstice class ships, only is great itinerary and if the price is right. Certainly not worth premium prices, imho.

thanks for the feedback. You ate in the MDR? I thought suite guests were required to eat in Blu?

We recently booked our first X cruise (not until March 2012 though :rolleyes:). I'm interested to hear whether the food is better than RCL. I know this is subjective but I've heard it's good and at least the menu will be different (hopefully). I'm also very interested to hear about exercise classes. Increasingly there are fewer free classes and more paid-for classes or 'seminars' in the fitness centre - none of which appeal to me.

Well you are in luck as we are planning to use the gym. Hubby just lost 30 lbs and I am up to almost 40 lbs so exercising is definitely on the agenda so we can eat more things.

The only question I have, is will you create a special thread with this subject when you get back? ;) I hope you do, I have no preconceptions, but will love hearing what you think. After my next cruise I'll be platinum so I would consider doing the same.

Well you are in luck as we are planning to use the gym. Hubby just lost 30 lbs and I am up to almost 40 lbs so exercising is definitely on the agenda so we can eat more things.

Wow - well done both of you :D I look forward to hearing your feedback.

We sailed Celebrity Millenium in

Alaska exacly one year ago and had a wonderful time, with one exception. We were late coming back from an excursion and missed our dinner seating. The food available in the buffet line was very limited and not so good. That said, the ship was elegant, service and entertainment were top notch. It was the last Alaskan cruise of the season and I think some of the saff were looking forward to a change. A much larger percent of passengers dressed for formal night, which is great fun if that is what you were looking for. Although the passengers were somewhat older , we all seemed to be having a great time at the parties. Overall, much like a somewhat "dressier" RC. I don't know if it is worth the price difference however. And I highly reccommend the Olympia specialty restaurant: what a treat !

Having said that, the entertainment is very important to us, quality as well as quantity. Loved loved loved the Oasis since there were so many alternatives to do every night, not just shows but venues. I would like a comparison as to whether Celebrity offers as much variance and quality in their entertainment and in what they offer to do, not just shows. Thanks!

You will not have as many alternatives to do every night on Solstice. We thought the entertainment was OK. Fewer options to choose from than RCCL and certainly not as many as Oasis (from what we see). Some lecture presentation at night also. Much quieter ship;) (we are in our 50's)

thanks for the feedback. You ate in the MDR? I thought suite guests were required to eat in Blu?

Suite guests eat in the MDR. It's the guests booked in Aqua Class cabins that are required to eat in Blu. Though, they told us as suite guests we could go to Blu and request a reservation on the day we wanted it (they would know if they had the space, etc.). Never did that, menu didn't excite us, lol.

Also, we missed the Concierge Lounge and attention D/D+ members receive on RCCL. Didn't feel Elite level was valued as much as D/D+ is on RCCL ships. Of course we did have one private function, Elite Afternoon Tea in the Tuscan Grille. It was just a little more choices than what we were delivered every afternoon in the suite. Glad we did it once but not again. MDR food presentation is wonderful and lots of new choices but we did notice on daily menus repeats of several things with change of sauces, etc. They were very big on turkey and lamb. They also liked to put type of barbque sauce on lots of different meats and even on the sea bass. DH said seabass wonderful but questioned use of bar-b-que sauce on something so delicate. Just an example. The list of items available every night is on the left hand page of the menu and more extensive than RCCL. Can have shrimp cocktail, escargot, lobster bisque, onion soup, steak, cream brulee, etc. every night if you want it. Used that in combo with nightly offerings when we dined in MDR or insuite. Lobster night is 2nd formal night btw. No one will go hungry on this cruise, lol. All the above is just imho.

We sailed the Solstice E.C. route in June and the crowd was much younger then on the typical Celebrity cruise. Of course, school is back in session.

There weren't that many kids aboard.

While not as active as a typical RC ship, there was lots more going on compared to our previous Celebrity cruises. The overall ship design and layout is similar to the bigger RC ships so you will have no problem finding your way around.

My photo album referenced below concentrates on the ship rather then innumerable pictures of our party.

Archived