Felucca ride with Ramses, good idea?

clraze

Hi, we've booked with Ramses for an overnight in April, and they have offered us a free felucca ride. I've read that it's not that great, since the Nile is pretty crowded, but I'd like feedback on whether you thought it was worth it, or not. Thanks.

Hi, we've booked with Ramses for an overnight in April, and they have offered us a free felucca ride. I've read that it's not that great, since the Nile is pretty crowded, but I'd like feedback on whether you thought it was worth it, or not. Thanks.

What might you not be doing if you do that? (Part of the equation ...)

We got up in the morning while the muzzein was calling to prayer, walked across the street (an adventure!) from the Nile Hilton, and boarded a felucca to cruise the Nile. We did not find the river especially crowded, but the cruise is simply through the city of Cairo, not out into the desert or past the pyramids or anything exotic. It was reasonably nice, pleasant and comfortable, not exciting views. BUT -- it was on the Nile!! THE ETERNAL NILE! Really, how can you go to Egypt and not take a ride on the Nile?:D

Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/holyland2.html#egypt

Have a GREAT cruise!

sort of just another ship on Nile,,,if not on riverboat,,,I say "go for it"esp.if inc.in tour,,,,just a small sailboat that goes a short distance,,,depending on winds,,,but give it a shot,,,,but do make time for Cairo museum,pyramids,bazaar,,etc.....loved that cruise on Nile on riverboat ,,,and would do it again in a heartbeat,,like going back in time.....:)

Thanks for you input. I'm not sure what we would be substituting. We're mostly going for ancient sites, Sakkara, Dashur, Cairo museum. We aren't going to do the Sound and Light show, so I think I will ask them WHEN they would do the ride. It's been great reading about everyone's Egypt travel plans. I can hardly wait to go. Thanks again.

for them,,,very dark...also,,do go to top floor,,sort of off beaten track...at Cairo museum...lots of mummies that get little attention,,,pets,etc...sad but interesting...at bazaar DO NOT buy mens polo shirts,,,think ripoff,,,hubby bought several and shrunk to boy size when washed...watch the traffic and just run when locals do....lots of little "hints"....you ll have a ball,,just expect "third world" and go with it....;)

Felucca: I think it depends on where you're going to be! We took the felucca in Aswan and went to Kitchener's Island and the botannical gardens and it was lovely. The Nile is busy, but it's very big!! As to crossing the streets in Cairo like the previous poster....you have much more nerve than I had! There was not enough money in the world and I've crossed streets in LA, Rome and of course my home, New York City!!! The concierge at the Intercontinental advised us "if you must cross the street, find a local, give them some change and ask them to take you across the street", we decided to stay on our side of the road! Enjoy, Egypt is a once in a lifetime experience and we loved it.

Felucca: I think it depends on where you're going to be! We took the felucca in Aswan and went to Kitchener's Island and the botannical gardens and it was lovely. The Nile is busy, but it's very big!! As to crossing the streets in Cairo like the previous poster....you have much more nerve than I had! There was not enough money in the world and I've crossed streets in LA, Rome and of course my home, New York City!!! The concierge at the Intercontinental advised us "if you must cross the street, find a local, give them some change and ask them to take you across the street", we decided to stay on our side of the road! Enjoy, Egypt is a once in a lifetime experience and we loved it.

ROFL! I am not sure what street it is that runs between the Nile Hilton and the Nile River -- but it is eight lanes of mayhem and confusion!

We were only six people, so our guide got us into a tightly herded group and sort of hopped us across lane by lane! (Remember Frogger?) We would never have done it without him!;)

When we did our long tour of Egypt we also did the felucca to Kitchener's Island in Aswan. That is a much different, and much more beautiful, experience than just up and down the Nile in Cairo city. But on a ship's excursion it is not possible so you do what you can.

ROFL! I am not sure what street it is that runs between the Nile Hilton and the Nile River -- but it is eight lanes of mayhem and confusion!

We were only six people, so our guide got us into a tightly herded group and sort of hopped us across lane by lane! (Remember Frogger?) We would never have done it without him!;)

When we did our long tour of Egypt we also did the felucca to Kitchener's Island in Aswan. That is a much different, and much more beautiful, experience than just up and down the Nile in Cairo city. But on a ship's excursion it is not possible so you do what you can.

Mike, I don't remember the exact name of it, but they referred to it as the corniche, and of course, there is a corniche in just about every European town with waterfront! I lost it with your Frogger reference!!! That describes crossing the street in Cairo exactly!!! And I used to love that game....You're right of course about the ship excursion and if the only felucca you can take is in Cairo and you don't have to give up anything else, like the museum or the old city...then take it. Like all city boat tours...it all depends on what city you're in some are beautiful and some not so much! :D

Archived