Dinner Bells

waytog

Remember the dinner bells on cruise ships? "Ding, ding, ding"..."Dinner is now

being served in the - dining room.....". It doesn't seem that long ago that the tradition just stopped. It was one of the quirky things that made cruising a lifestyle. Does anyone know why it was stopped and if any smaller ships still use dinner bells?

Holland America still has a young man beautifully dressed in full livery who walks thru at dinner time with a hand held chime that can be heard all around. He is laughingly called the Yum Yum Man. LOL. It's quite nice.

• 2 years later...

I was friends with the 1st Purser, and always commented on the dinner chime..it was always different..a 4 bell xylyphone..I had the honor of playing it one night for late seating..somewhere in the mid 70's. what a thrill.wowwwww

• 1 month later...

I remember on our honeymoon when they rang the dinner bells. It was on the Carnvial Tropicale in 1985. I even remember the matre'd, his name was Edward. I liked it!! My daughters said they remember dinner bells on their first cruise on the Carnival Celebration in 2000. I wish they would bring that back!!

Carnival still used the chimes up until maybe 4-5 years ago. We had a wonderful Maitre'd called George the Greek who would announce dinner after the chimes. I really miss them. Every once in a blue moon DH and I will hear chimes somewhere reminding us of the dinner chimes, and announce to ourselves - dinner is being served - LOL. TG23

I have to admit that I thought the diiner chimes on a cruise ship was some sort of Italian thing since the ships I sailed on all seemed to have Italian Maitre d's or Italian Officers...hence I thought it was an Italian thing.

Boy have things have changed...the chimes have disappeared and the Italians no longer seem to be a majority on ships in these roles. I have been on ships recently that have had Indian Maitre D's...I wonder if the officers will soon be Indian also?

It would be nice if one of the Cruise Critic Board experts could look into this and tell us why the dinner chimes have disappeared? I miss them and have to admit liked hearing them...told me...GET READY TO EAT...AGAIN!

I still have the exact chimes in my head for dinner on the Fairsea. I remember always chiming along with them whenever they started.

Don't forget the "buon appetito" that always ended the announcement.;)

Archived