Oahu Luaus - Germaine's vs. Paradise Cove vs. PCC?

Sunny AZ Girl

We are considering going to ONE luau during our Hawaiian vacation which will include 2 nights pre-cruise in Oahu, the POA cruise and one night post cruise back in Oahu. We are a family group of 6 adults ages 46 - 81. I am considering doing our luau in Oahu due to time constraints in Maui. We will be meeting other family members who live there and spending time with them, otherwise the OLL would be my first choice. As I do not know our schedule for Maui I do not want to plan something that will conflict with any plans our hosts may have for our Sunday evening there.

In researching Luaus the three in my title stick out at me as good options. We are planning on visiting the AZ Memorial and Missouri on Friday morning and could easily do Germaine's or Paradise Cove that evening. Or we could do the PCC post cruise, the day we disembark. I was leaning more towards a north shore drive that day, though. I am gathering information to present to my traveling companions next week. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!

We are doing PCC but not because of the luau. We're doing OLL in Maui.

If price is a factor, there is a buy one admission, get $45 off the second for PCC. Tropicana Rewards has 25% off Germaine's (9 points) and 25% off Paradise Cove (2 points).

Good to know about Tropicana. Time to start drinking OJ again, LOL! :D

Price is a factor. I tend to spend more on vacation than I do otherwise. I'm not cheap, but I really do have to keep price in mind and not go overboard. However, if I feel something is really worth a higher price I will go for it. I will probably not return to Hawaii real soon, so I want to get the most out of it.

However, I do have to keep in mind the budgets of my traveling companions who may feel a bit differently. So, I want to be able to present different options at different prices and be able to point out the advantages of the higher prices, if they are worth the cost.

I have done all three. They all have their pros and cons.

PCC - food not so good. Show fabulous but be sure to get a good seat.

The other two were mostly the same however Paradise cove had a little more variety as in things to watch before dark like Net fishing etc.

I don't know about there prices. That would be a deciding factor too.

I am interested in peoples opinions on these 3 as well. We have narrowed down our choice of Luau venue to one of these as we want to do our Luau in Oahu pre cruise.

At the moment I am thinking we will go to Germaines, but that could change!! I am not indecisive...I just can't make up my mind LOL.

Comparing these three events is kind of an "apples & oranges" comparison. Germaines and Paradise Cove are standard "eat, drink, and be merry" events with a show following the eating & drinking. Total time expended about three hours.

The PCC is really a living museum of many of the islands of French Polynesia from New Zealand to Hawaii with several stops in-between. Food at the PCC is secondary (mainly to feed the folks that have been there all day) to the museum aspects of the Center with the shows (both day shows and the main night show) being the prime events of the day. No achoholic drinks are served since the PCC is owned by the Mormon Church. So not so much of the "eat, drink, and be merry" as the other two venues listed.

It comes down to the following that only the OP can answer:

1. Are you more interested in the history of French Polynesia, or in a party atmosphere. (Nothing wrong with either, but helps with the decision making.)

2. How much time to you want to invest? To experience the full PCC experience you really need to dedicate an entire day (travel time alone can be 90 minutes one-way). The other two choices are strictly evening events.

I have been to two of the three you mentioned and several others on the outer islands (basically, the same type of event/show). The PCC is by far the best overall experience as long as you understand what you are buying.

It comes down to the following that only the OP can answer:

1. Are you more interested in the history of French Polynesia, or in a party atmosphere. (Nothing wrong with either, but helps with the decision making.)

2. How much time to you want to invest? To experience the full PCC experience you really need to dedicate an entire day (travel time alone can be 90 minutes one-way). The other two choices are strictly evening events.

I have been to two of the three you mentioned and several others on the outer islands (basically, the same type of event/show). The PCC is by far the best overall experience as long as you understand what you are buying.

I am just not sure what we will be wanting at the moment since there are 6 adults in our group. I am just the 'information gatherer'.:) I want to be able to present the best options to the group for a luau - we know we want to go to one of them. I was not going to include the PCC in my list as I realize it is a separate category, but when googling "Best Luas" it kept popping up, so I thought I may be missing something.:confused:

Perhaps I should just look for the difference - or highest recommendation - between Germaine's and Paradise Cove pre-cruise and then present the PCC as a separate option for our last day (post cruise) activities?

If you are going to the PCC, anyway, that may be a timesaver too. the PCC is a wonderful way to spend a day to see the culture of the islands. We didn't do the Luau, just grabbed a bite in the restaurant and then went to the show. The show is similar to the other luaus, but not as personal. Think concert venue vs. a smaller stage dinner theatre. But both have the different polynesian dancers, drummers and fire-dance show.

If you just want the luau, I would go for the smaller venue.

I must say after reading the reviews that I would feel more comfortable booking Germaine's. Are there other luas out there with higher ratings?

The celebrity match up is a hoot!:D

I found a tour company that is selling Germaine's for $52 (Sav-on-Tours). Has anyone booked through one of the other tour companies other than Roberts? Or are we better off to just book with a 25% off coupon directly through Germaines? That price does include transportation.

We went to Germaines in March. We wanted one on the beach. I think you'd spend less money by booking on your own. We called from our hotel in Waikiki, made our reservation and they told us where to go downtown to be picked up by their bus. We used a coupon from the entertainment book for 25% off. We enjoyed the show very much, and when the moon came up over the ocean after it got dark it was beautiful. I may be wrong, but I think the PCC'c is in an indoor theater? We would have loved to gone to PCC as well, but with limited time and trying to squeeze in many things, this worked well for us. (2 couples) The food was nothing to write home about, but we went for the show, not the food and enjoyed the experience very much.

Must agree PCC is a huge venue and a huge stage. Much less personal. We were in the nose bleed section and so far back we couldnt see well.

I don't think you will go wrong with Germaines. Also the bus ride out there is a hoot. The entertainment starts on the bus. ;)

Must agree PCC is a huge venue and a huge stage. Much less personal. We were in the nose bleed section and so far back we couldnt see well.

I agree that the PCC's main showroom is large and is about 1/2 open (the stage area) and about 1/2 covered (for the tourists). During our last visit we bought the Super Ambassador Package and our seats were dead center on the front row. We were so close that we could feel the heat and almost got stabbed by a spear (well not really, but it made you jump back)! Very close to the stage, but we paid for it! Oh well, glad we went for it, may never be able to return to Hawaii again. That is kind of the problem with visiting Hawaii, many of us have to plan on the next trip being the last trip to Hawaii due to the expense and long distances to travel. Therefore, each person really has to plan to see exactly what they believe will be best for their family. Not an easy thing to do.

Since you are asking about a luau, I would think you would choose something other than PCC. We actually chose not to go to the luau option at the PCC because we heard the luau experience there was mediocre. Instead we chose the American menu they offered that did not include entertainment. The group I was with are very fussy eaters and the luau menu just did not appeal to them. We chose the PCC for the evening program and we were not disappointed. We are more into entertainment than we are into food.

If a luau was my priority, I would have chosen the OLL in Maui based on all the reviews I read. I wished we could have fit it in, but again, we had other priorities in Maui. If there is a next time to Hawaii I will try to fit in the OLL to experience a more traditonial luau.

Good luck trying to figure it out.

If a luau was my priority, I would have chosen the OLL in Maui based on all the reviews I read. I wished we could have fit it in, but again, we had other priorities in Maui. If there is a next time to Hawaii I will try to fit in the OLL to experience a more traditonial luau.

Good luck trying to figure it out.

Like you, we have other priorities in Maui, so I am looking at Honolulu pre-cruise as a good second option for a luau. At this point I am leaning towards Germaines. We may or may not get to the PCC post-cruise. That will be another research subject, LOL!:cool:

We do have the option of the NCL luau in Kuai, but I get the feeling it is even larger than the large luaus in Oahu. Also, while we do not have a plan yet for Kauai I hate to cut our day short there to get back to the ship early to go to a luau. At least this is a first class decision to have to make. I feel blessed to be able to make it at all.:)

• 3 months later...

I'm with you Ginny. I think Steve & I will do Germaines on our post-cruise stay. If you go with it, please let me know how it was in your opinion. By reading the reviews, it sounds very much like the luau we went to in Kauai at the hotel in Lahaina (not the OLL). Food was okay but not good and very crowded like a huge wedding reception would be. Show was good. I suspect that is what we will get at Germaines which is okay with us.

I'm with you Ginny. I think Steve & I will do Germaines on our post-cruise stay. If you go with it, please let me know how it was in your opinion. By reading the reviews, it sounds very much like the luau we went to in Kauai at the hotel in Lahaina (not the OLL). Food was okay but not good and very crowded like a huge wedding reception would be. Show was good. I suspect that is what we will get at Germaines which is okay with us.

Lisa, we decided to go to the Smith Family Luau in Kauai instead. We wanted to go with my DB & SIL, but they will not be in Honolulu for very long so we could not coordinate a time. I think we will like the Smith Family Luau. The reviews have all been positive. We booked the combo luau & Kailau River tour through Robert's.:cool:

has anyone been on the golden Princess and done this? Just wondering if getting back to the ship is a big issue. I understand the Luau finishes around 9pm and it takes an hour to get back to the ship. Ship leaves at 11pm, don't know what time you have to be back on board. Will we make it?

The word I'm hearing is that it could easily take 1 1/2 hours from PCC to the port. The traffic is horrible and took us 2 hours. If you are doing PCC, you really need to take the package from Princess.

In case anyone is looking into luau options, here are my reviews and photos for the luaus we attended in November...

Polynesian Cultural Center (Oahu)

http://moonprincess.com/travel/495/

Old Lahaina Luau (Maui)

http://moonprincess.com/travel/543/

Feel free to let me know if you have specific questions about either!

Archived