Renting a car in Cape Canaveral to go to MCO

bluenoser2

We're thinking of using Dollar rental car for our group of 5 - I've read and understand how the drop-off works when we come from the airport to the port. Now I'm wondering about the reverse. Is it difficult to get the shuttle to the car rental office from the port? Would one person go and the rest stay with the luggage? Is the shuttle reliable? Could there be a long wait? How early could we go? (Our ship is scheduled to dock at 8:00 a.m.). Having got the car, would it be difficult to get back and pick the rest of us up with the luggage? How long could all of this take? We're clueless as to how busy it would be. Our flight home doesn't leave until 2:00 in the afternoon (MCO) , so it would seem we have lots of time, but my DH wants some re-assurance! Thanks for your help.

We're thinking of using Dollar rental car for our group of 5 - I've read and understand how the drop-off works when we come from the airport to the port. Now I'm wondering about the reverse. Is it difficult to get the shuttle to the car rental office from the port? Would one person go and the rest stay with the luggage? Is the shuttle reliable? Could there be a long wait? How early could we go? (Our ship is scheduled to dock at 8:00 a.m.). Having got the car, would it be difficult to get back and pick the rest of us up with the luggage? How long could all of this take? We're clueless as to how busy it would be. Our flight home doesn't leave until 2:00 in the afternoon (MCO) , so it would seem we have lots of time, but my DH wants some re-assurance! Thanks for your help.

In my opinion, you have more than ample time.

You could choose self disembarkation which usually gets you off the ship in 30-60 minutes after docking (time to clear customs for the ship, then for you to exit and clear customs yourself).

I'd check with Dollar for their office and shuttle hours to see how early you could go, but they would probably be simple to catch at that time. If you reserve a car for your arrival date and time, they are prepared to pick you up at the port. It's not difficult at all - the rental car shuttles typically circle regularly and pick up customers. They are very reliable.

You could get the car alone and it would not be difficult to go back and retrieve your family (just explain tot eh security booth that you are pciking up your family), but you could also all take the shuttle together.

5 people plus luggage might get you an immediate ride (because the shuttle would be closer to full) than if you get on alone and have to wait for other passengers to get off the ship and come fill the shuttle before it goes to the Dollar office. The rental car offices are 5-10 minutes from the port. If you see the shuttle pulling away, it is probably no more than 20 minutes before it will return.

Port Canaveral usually has one or two ships in port - it is not as busy as Miami or FLL, etc with numerous ships, but consider all the people on your ship departing at a similar time.

You are also about a 45 minute drive from MCO - it is just outside Orlando on the side nearest Port Canaveral so you don't really get into city traffic on the way.

Thank you - you've been very helpful - I hadn't realized we could all take the shuttle to the rental place - that would be great if we could do that! We're also considering Budget, or Hertz, which I'm assuming would be the same. Our only concern about Dollar is that the drop-off at the airport, is not actually AT the airport, and that's just one more stop with luggage to shuffle around.

Thank you - you've been very helpful - I hadn't realized we could all take the shuttle to the rental place - that would be great if we could do that! We're also considering Budget, or Hertz, which I'm assuming would be the same. Our only concern about Dollar is that the drop-off at the airport, is not actually AT the airport, and that's just one more stop with luggage to shuffle around.

Check out Avis also. We've used them many times at PC and found them reliable and efficient. Avis is also located at the airport, like Hertz and Budget.

Archived