best Alaska cruises for non smokers

jusjoan

You might at least consider doing Alaska on the Alaska Marine Highway ferry system. You can do a 7 day round trip (northbound and southbound back-to-back) out of Bellingham, Washington.

As an instrument of Alaska state government, there is no smoking allowed anywhere inside the ship or cabins. Smoking is only permitted at designated stations on deck. Probably the best NON-smoking policy I've seen on any ship.

Click on my Photo Pages link below and look for the Alaska albums.

Alaska is fabulous. You have to go, especially if you're anniversary is in the summer months. Save the Caribbean for the winter months.

Since smoking is a big issue for you, I'd recommend Celebrity. Sooner or later, the other cruise lines will catch up with it. I'm hoping for sooner, although I've only had a couple of negative experiences on other cruise lines with more lenient smoking policies and I don't let those experiences prevent me from booking another HAL cruise.

My recommendations would slant to Oceania or Celebrity, those being more restrictive than others they do not attract many smokers. I've even read comments on CC from smokers who won't cruise on Celebrity because of the rules.

Next up we are cruising Princess and I'm dismayed to read they allow smoking in cabins. I know they clean, but like the OP, I can smell cigarette smoke anywhere, even if the person driving in front of me is smoking, I wish I weren't so intolerant. I also cannot tolerate smoke from candles, barbeque or fireplaces, it all gives me a sore throat.

The smokers are within their rights, so I don't make comment (other than here), but it would be so nice if people refrained from smoking in cabins or balconies. Yes it does waft back into other peoples cabins and balconies, not just out into the wind and away. It would be so much more considerate of them and I know most smokers do care about other peoples comfort.

thanks annerie, I was considering Regent. No, the kids won't be along. Just my hubby and myself. Regent does look pricey at first but it really does include a lot, including airfare. I like the idea of a smaller ship. Not sure we are the dress up type for every evening. Have you been on these cruises and how fancy is elegant casual?

I appreciate you help,

jusjoan

We have sailed on Navigator. Smart casual is just khakis, polo shirts, button down oxfords, for men. For women, it's everything from capris to skirts to basic slacks paired with jewel necks, or cotton tops -- it really just excludes the jeans, t-shirt, sweat shirt, men's tank top type of dressing.

The informal night, if there is one, I can't remember for Alaska, means only that they request the men to wear a sports jacket, no tie required. We had one on our last trip.

If they had one and you didn't want to participate, they will serve dinner on your balcony or in your stateroom, anything course by course from the dining room menus. Very romantic, and since the staterooms are huge, they have a dining sized table top, two chairs and you can watch the scenery go by. They will even bring bottles of that day's red and white wines for you to have at your leisure with dinner.

If you can't swing Regent, look at Oceania. They are just as restrictive as Regent as to smoking, but their smaller veranda cabins are less expensive and you can take care of the other expenses out of the savings.

Small ship cruising is so much more intimate. There is just a small amount of entertainment, mostly classical pianists or chamber music, or a singer and small jazz group. Think more of the club atmosphere than the Vegas show lounge. Some people don't like the small ships, if they like the production shows and lots of bars and lounges. Regent holds some fun activities though, as we enjoy the meet your neighbors block party where the officers and staff mingle with the guests outside their "homes", for about 45 minutes. Our friends, who had never been on a small ship or luxury cruise, were blown away when the Captain came down the hall and chatted for about 10 minutes with them about the ship and some engineering details (our friend is a scientist who works with the Navy).

We love them, and consider Navigator at 490 people to be about as big as we want. I've been to Alaska four times now, twice by sea and twice on land trips. It is an awesome place and it can be so crowded that the smaller ships are an advantage in that they go to a few less traveled areas, and transit a few of the tighter passages giving you more opportunity to see wildlife from the ship.

Feel free to ask more questions as you plan.

We were just on the Azamara Journey. It was wonderful...a small ship with good food. Wine was included at both lunch and dinner, gratuities are included but my DH's favorite was the dress code - no formal nights. He didn't even take a sport coat. Country Club casual was the accepted form of dress in the evening.

If they sailed to Alaska we would go back in a flash.

I'm leaning toward Regent. How does the free airfare work? Do they give you options as far as travel days, airports, etc?

I am concerned that I will never want to cruise on less expensive ships, but on the other had if we have a bad experience with smoke we will never cruise again.

But, since this is a special occasion I think we should swing the extra and go all out!

I will sleep on it another sleepless night before I decide.

Archived