Fan Confiscated - Carnival still hasn't properly informed all of thier own!

Tom-n-Cheryl

...Carnival is the one that makes these rules and then allows the exceptions to them...and as such...I don't think consistancy is asking to much.

EXACTLY.

There seem to be zero consistency in any of the policies discussed whether it is booze brought on board, fans, hair appliances, coffee machines or whatever. This is what causes the stress. From ship to ship and port to port, there is no consistency that you can say - "Nope, this won't make it" or "This will make it". Sometimes within each port themselves, may even depend on the individual doing the search and examination.

CCL rules are so vague, and I understand why it is intentionally done to give the person on the scene discretionary authority to remove a hazardous object.

So Tom, the OP is right although I think when he approached the Guest Relations that could have been handled a little more friendly at first, threatening to depart the ship is a bit dramatic move for your opening salvo in getting your fan back, but I understand been there and done that too. The first words out of the GR person should have been let me review the policy and then let me check with my supervisor (instead of arguing with the guest). Apparently the Supervisor knew the deal because she handled it appropriately, in my opinion.

Now, my question is did you get your fan because you were platinum or because you were right? Would a first time guest get their fan back? Again who knows, more inconsistencies.

Now, my question is did you get your fan because you were platinum or because you were right? Would a first time guest get their fan back? Again who knows, more inconsistencies.

... perhaps because I am Milestone... ;) :D

In all honesty though, my guess is that a first time cruiser would have stood little chance -- likely not knowing the true nature of the situation. On the other hand, I would like to think that a first time cruiser would be treated in such a manner as to encourage a return visit (as we ALL should)... though I wouldn't bank on that one! :rolleyes:

Tom

With over 10,000 posts, I would have thought you would have read that in here. It is obvious that fans are household appliances and have not been allowed. If anything CCL has screwed up with their lack of consistency.

Some of the attitudes on display here is also of some question: I don't think demanding anything is the way to go........

With over 10,000 posts, I would have thought you would have read that in here. It is obvious that fans are household appliances and have not been allowed. If anything CCL has screwed up with their lack of consistency.

Some of the attitudes on display here is also of some question: I don't think demanding anything is the way to go........

Except that fans are a seperate line item on the restrictions list and are allowed as long as they don't pose a hazard.

I did not demand anything.. I gave them TWO options!

Knowing how they often work up there (I usually try the "bees to honey" approach first), I did not have time to play (extra) nice.. the ship was leaving in an under an hour... and I was serious and did not want to have to fly home on some puddle jumper from Grand Turk when they later dropped the ball.

Tom

Except that fans are a seperate line item on the restrictions list and are allowed as long as they don't pose a hazard.

Yes - and not anywhere on the list which he produced, and they are supposed to be the "authority" (there is another Surprise Surprise)!

Tom

I'm going on my 17th Carnival cruise in late October. I have ALWAYS taken a small fan in my checked bag or carried on if I was traveling with a carry on only. I have never had anyone in authority look askance or make any note of the fan. EVER.

~Stir

PS. Tom...you *Stir-ring* things up, hon? LOLALOT!

I'm going on my 17th Carnival cruise in late October. I have ALWAYS taken a small fan in my checked bag or carried on if I was traveling with a carry on only. I have never had anyone in authority look askance or make any note of the fan. EVER.

~Stir

PS. Tom...you *Stir-ring* things up, hon? LOLALOT!

Hi there!

Missed you in February... how was Paris?

Tom

I didn't try to be a smart*** but my point was intended to point out when something is written and happens to be arbitrary (what is a hazard??? and determined by whom?) and we need to put up with it. I would hope that they err on the side of caution on this one and expect those that are affected would be a little PO'd.

When we agree to the terms of the contract I guess we need to accept their decisions.

:eek:EEEk - it's David (200 posts) taking on Goliath (>11,000) posts. Tom, I can tell by your banter on this board that you are a reasonable, lively person.

However, I stand by my perception of your intent. To me, and solely to me, your post is a little self-gratifying (i.e., gloatful --is that a word?) "Look at me, I took on the big, bad cruise line and I won." It is also very disparaging of the service the customer representative supplied to you. (As in, "WHY oh WHY would any guest need to play this "game"...." Also, the point where even when he shows you a separate reference that could completely outlaw fans, you "...told him it was, of course, intentionally vague thus allowing them to take anything....") Or, it could be due to your repeated use of CAPITAL LETTERS and bold red text.

Let the "Beat up on Chirpbird's perceptions" begin. :D

Knowing Tom personally, your first perception is spot on, your second, not so much. But then it's sometimes hard to get a read on someone in print.

I'm a pretty easy going person and 9 times out of 10 I will not sweat the small stuff, heck more like 49 out of 50 times. But there are times I will dig my heals in and take a stand on principle. If having a fan meant the difference between 5 nights of peacefull sleep or five restless nights and with Carnival's policy being so inconsistently policed then this is one of those things I might just decide to take them to task on.

Knowing Tom personally, your first perception is spot on, your second, not so much. But then it's sometimes hard to get a read on someone in print.

I'm a pretty easy going person and 9 times out of 10 I will not sweat the small stuff, heck more like 49 out of 50 times. But there are times I will dig my heals in and take a stand on principle. If having a fan meant the difference between 5 nights of peacefull sleep or five restless nights and with Carnival's policy being so inconsistently policed then this is one of those things I might just decide to take them to task on.

Is it getting any cooler up there yet?

See you guys on the Dream soon (w/fan in tow)! :D

Tom

I intend to bring my fan. There was the whole drama about fans a couple months ago and I thought it had all been worked out. I see I thought wrong. It states on Carnivals website that fans are allowed unless they are thought to pose a hazard. I am going to print up a page and tape it to my fan that states Medical Necessity. The fan went with me on my last cruise and was allowed with no issues. Long before all this brewhaha. It will be going with me again. I am taking a back up just in case. I bought a battery operated fan, at the suggestion of folks here on CC and it will be packed in my checked luggage as well.

I only have 4 more days to see which one they allow. I will try to post when I get onboard to let yall know.

I have sympathy for you being upset. But one must understand that one major fear of any ship is fire which can rapidly get out of control. While you may have had a "brand-new" fan is top working condition, it would be impossible for Carnival to take every electrical appliance, as well as every bottle containing liquids and test them. Carnival was clear that they have the right to confiscate such appliances.

My suggestion would be that if you felt that you wanted to bring bottled water or a fan on board you should have presented it to the security guard when checking in.

Again when you book a cruise, or even stay in a hotel, you are giving up certain "rights" to be a guest.

Anyway, I hope that this did not ruin your cruise

When we travel, for the last several months we ALSO take a small sound machine --- as BACK UP (insurance)! It can be very frustrating not being able to sleep well due to environmental issues.

Tom

When I posted on CC I got bashed about my extension cord and a fan. Posters(not nicely) copied and pasted the policy and told me all was taken care of, out of date info etc. My new with tags extension cord was was taken because of "the potential" that I could plug too many things in. The fan (perfect repair but I "could" possibly overload the circuit if I plugged it in with other things)

I stopped posting what was actually happening due to people telling me I was wrong. Then it comes to the locked luggage issue. Yes we lock it so we are called down for them to take these items and we either lose them or we can plead our case in the naughty room. They will not cut locks off. They will open luggage and cut zip ties. If they are going to take something from me, they will not be doing it without me there and leaving me a note. There is another thread going about locked luggage and people saying they have never had a problem. We maintain, there will be no notes left, they will have to debate it when they take it.

At least if you had locks on the luggage, you would have been there when they opened it and you could have pleaded your case without actually losing it. Unlocked luggage makes it easier to go through luggage. If everyone locked their luggage, there would not be time to call everyone down to the naughty room - they would have to concede to just the major things in luggage get called down and removed. The more luggage they can easily open, take what they want and leave a letter, they more time they have to call down the people who do lock it and they need them to open in.

...just my two cents

When I posted on CC I got bashed about my extension cord and a fan. Posters(not nicely) copied and pasted the policy and told me all was taken care of, out of date info etc. My new with tags extension cord was was taken because of "the potential" that I could plug too many things in. The fan (perfect repair but I "could" possibly overload the circuit if I plugged it in with other things)

I stopped posting what was actually happening due to people telling me I was wrong. Then it comes to the locked luggage issue. Yes we lock it so we are called down for them to take these items and we either lose them or we can plead our case in the naughty room. They will not cut locks off. They will open luggage and cut zip ties. If they are going to take something from me, they will not be doing it without me there and leaving me a note. There is another thread going about locked luggage and people saying they have never had a problem. We maintain, there will be no notes left, they will have to debate it when they take it.

At least if you had locks on the luggage, you would have been there when they opened it and you could have pleaded your case without actually losing it. Unlocked luggage makes it easier to go through luggage. If everyone locked their luggage, there would not be time to call everyone down to the naughty room - they would have to concede to just the major things in luggage get called down and removed. The more luggage they can easily open, take what they want and leave a letter, they more time they have to call down the people who do lock it and they need them to open in.

...just my two cents

I see your logic on locks. We used to use them, but stopped a few years ago. Only one other time was one of our suitcases (knowingly) opened. There was a letter inside saying that they periodically search cases at random - and there was nothing missing inside.

Perhaps it is back to locks.

Maybe the suitcase scanner guys are a little too eager to find stuff (like it is a hide and seek game).

Most people on here also report that when taking things through with your carry on stuff that they have not had any problems.

Thoughts to ponder.

Tom

Hi there!

Missed you in February... how was Paris?

Tom

I spent the month of July in Ireland traveling around and then spent a week in London. No Paree for me! They don't like Texans!

I'm back in cruisin' mode and have found that cruising is probably the only travel my parents (82 and 77, and limited mobility) will be able to do now. We plan to sail with Captain Scala next summer if at all possible, so I'll be trying out Regent Cruise Line!

I spent the month of July in Ireland traveling around and then spent a week in London. No Paree for me! They don't like Texans!

I'm back in cruisin' mode and have found that cruising is probably the only travel my parents (82 and 77, and limited mobility) will be able to do now. We plan to sail with Captain Scala next summer if at all possible, so I'll be trying out Regent Cruise Line!

Not necessarily true. I have lived in Paris, and have been back 7 times. I've always been treated so well there, and I'm a Texan. In fact, when I was there after college, saying I was from Dallas got me a whole lot attention-all of it positive!:)

Sounds like fun -- not sure why I had Paris on my mind...!

Not necessarily true. I have lived in Paris, and have been back 7 times. I've always been treated so well there, and I'm a Texan. In fact, when I was there after college, saying I was from Dallas got me a whole lot attention-all of it positive!:)

Hmmm.. Stir, perhaps it's just you !! :D

Tom

I say just carry the fan on with you, outside of your suitcase. Then, if they say you cannot take it on... you can just turn around and go home. That'll teach 'em.

LOL - no, those are just the security guys (not CCL employees). Thus, unless you made a point to bring come Carnival folks into the fray, they would just think you no-showed!

Tom

Don't you love that logic? On our Century cruise in April Cheryl's carry on bag was flagged by the x-ray guy. We were taken over to a table where a guy searched it. Found nothing, and sent it back though the machine empty. Back to the table, and he reached down in a seam/crevice and pulled out a small corkscrew (like the ones delivered with wine baskets on Carnival). It was confiscated as a potential weapon and tagged (we were told we could pick it up after the cruise, like we were that worried about it).

Guess what was in our cabin when we arrived, right next to a bottle of wine? You guessed it - one of their corkscrews with a complementary bottle of wine... which was entirely coincidental and had nothing to do with the x-ray event.

I then started to plan my ship takeover, as I now had my first deadly weapon in hand... :rolleyes:

Tom

See... we always pack a handy corkscrew for our "allowed" bottles of wine (not sure how we would open them without?) to have in our room. Now I know better...

Thank you Tom

LOL - no, those are just the security guys (not CCL employees). Thus, unless you made a point to bring come Carnival folks into the fray, they would just think you no-showed!

Tom

You could then write them (Carnival) a letter saying "Security wouldn't let me bring my fan on, so I went home... HA!"

They would get the picture then.

Archived