Questions for those who have taken a northbound Alaska cruisetour

cruisinalong001

Do you pick up your cruise clothes at the Fairbanks lodge or the Fairbanks airport?

Also, we are spending some extra days in Denali to take advantage of float trips, horseback riding, wildlife watching, sled dog tour etc. In light of that, does anyone have any pariticularly good tours to recommend at the McKinley Lodge? I am trying not to duplicate the things we will do at Denali. (No rugged backcountry hikes or class IV rapids). ...getting into that no spring chicken category, but still physically active. If the scenery is great, I don't mind doing another float trip, horseback ride, etc. One more thing, if you arrive in the afternoon do they generally have space on tours for the following day you can book then or must you reserve in advance (just thinking that I'd have a better read on the weather if I could wait to book).

Many thanks in advance.

All the luggage will be in one area in Fairbanks airport and you check it to make sure the tags are on it, then the cruise people take it from there. All the people from your flight that are on the tour will be together and it is sort of a mess, but it all works out. They know what they are doing, they have done it a lot! Just keep your ears open! Have a great trip!:)

Do you pick up your cruise clothes at the Fairbanks lodge or the Fairbanks airport?

Also, we are spending some extra days in Denali to take advantage of float trips, horseback riding, wildlife watching, sled dog tour etc. In light of that, does anyone have any pariticularly good tours to recommend at the McKinley Lodge? I am trying not to duplicate the things we will do at Denali. (No rugged backcountry hikes or class IV rapids). ...getting into that no spring chicken category, but still physically active. If the scenery is great, I don't mind doing another float trip, horseback ride, etc. One more thing, if you arrive in the afternoon do they generally have space on tours for the following day you can book then or must you reserve in advance (just thinking that I'd have a better read on the weather if I could wait to book).

Many thanks in advance.

Do you have your own transportation?? That is a major difficulity of touring when staying at the McKinley Princess. IF that is your reference?? Are there now cruisetours that have more than 2 days at Denali Park?? Or are you coming in early, driving yourself to Denali- then back to your cruisetour- again, not sure what you are referring to?

The major tour out of Talkeetna, is flightseeing. The raft trips are so so, my opinion only. A lot of "sameness". The cruiselines do have some enhancements in their tours and scheduled stops at cabins etc. Not real exciting for me.

There is NO duplication of Denali, from Talkeetna. Again, you have far more options outside a cruisetour. The cruiseline tours, can usually be booked when you get there. BUT, flightseeing, I always have lined up prior, as I like to take advantage of coupon offers.

Sorry, but it is useless to "think" about the weather. even the day prior is no indication what you will have the next day. IF there are tour priorities, you want, AND limited time then you are far better off, having plans and reservations in place before you get there. Plenty of people don't care, and like picking up on the fly. Determine- if you are willing to miss out on some touring and accepting of this. Then you can do walk up touring, per what you want.

Archived