Packing for River Cruise...What to take and what to leave home

Patrincess

Why are you "restricted" to one bag and one carry on??? Perhaps this is what your flight includes, but you can always pay for more luggage if you so choose.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If it is the airline then yes, you can pay. It is more difficult if there is bus transportation as part of your cruise, because there may be limited space. Also, they pay for porterage at hotels and that might include only the listed baggage.

Well, I can't do without my shoes and clothes, so I am willing to pay and put up with any inconvenience. That's just me. I dress for myself and for me it's part of my holiday! Holidays are to make you feel good and I feel good when I like what I'm wearing - even if some may feel I'm either over or under dressed. [emoji6]

Well, I can't do without my shoes and clothes, so I am willing to pay and put up with any inconvenience. That's just me. I dress for myself and for me it's part of my holiday! Holidays are to make you feel good and I feel good when I like what I'm wearing - even if some may feel I'm either over or under dressed. [emoji6]

Which cruiseline are you booked with? I noticed my upcoming Tauck cruise specifies 1 checked bag weighing no more than 50 lbs. per person, plus any carry-ons. That's about twice the amount I would usually pack for a month of travel and believe me, I dress well enough on vacation.

Not to argue any point, just in continuing the exchange of information, we are on Scenic - but we are not "touring" with them, we are just taking the river cruise. When taking a TOUR - yes, they only allow 1 piece per person which THEY handle. If you bring any extra pieces (which I have done in the past with GCT, for example) you must handle it yourself. Since ours is a cruise only trip, this would not apply. If the cruise line transfers me from a hotel and won't take my extra pieces, I'm willing to make my own way or pay extra. I'd love to see them try and not allow me to bring an extra bag on the ship! It would never happen.

In our case, for example, my husband is 6'6" and wears size 16 shoes. He has a hard time packing for a week in a regular suitcase, let alone a month. A carry on.....never! 2 pairs of shoes and it's full. Lol.

We all have different needs. I knew a very well seasoned traveller who never went anywhere without her framed photos of all her pets, even those that had passed on. To each his own. After all, it's not a competition.

Not to argue any point, just in continuing the exchange of information, we are on Scenic - but we are not "touring" with them, we are just taking the river cruise. When taking a TOUR - yes, they only allow 1 piece per person which THEY handle. If you bring any extra pieces (which I have done in the past with GCT, for example) you must handle it yourself. Since ours is a cruise only trip, this would not apply. If the cruise line transfers me from a hotel and won't take my extra pieces, I'm willing to make my own way or pay extra. I'd love to see them try and not allow me to bring an extra bag on the ship! It would never happen.

In our case, for example, my husband is 6'6" and wears size 16 shoes. He has a hard time packing for a week in a regular suitcase, let alone a month. A carry on.....never! 2 pairs of shoes and it's full. Lol.

We all have different needs. I knew a very well seasoned traveller who never went anywhere without her framed photos of all her pets, even those that had passed on. To each his own. After all, it's not a competition.

I think that's a great perspective. The idea of checking any let alone multiple bags is paralyzing to me, but I realize the same is likely true for those who can't fathom sticking to a carry on. Choice is a beautiful thing! (And it doesn't impact me one iota whether some brings a camping backpack or a steamer trunk)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums