Oceania's Policy/Pricing For Single Travelers

bruinbob95

Oceania has some sailings with low solo supplements, so it's not as if there are no low-solo-supplement cruises on Oceania, but if the cruise is selling well to doubles, or is even in an oversold situation, then I can understand that Oceania wants at least 175% for the cabin.

The difficulty for solos is if they want to book way in advance and they choose a very popular sailing. That's when the rates will be highest, even 200%.

Solos who are more flexible will come across a lot of great deals on all lines, especially in this economy and while people cancel for fear of crime or bad weather in certain ports.

Some of Oceania's Alaska sailings this year have low solo supplements of 25% above the per person, double occupancy rate.

Unfortunately for solos, they have to take what they can get ... it's not like they can select an itinerary because it's just perfect for them. They have to select among those itineraries that haven't sold as well.

Unless, of course, money is no object. But few of us are in that category!

When my mother accompanied us on a cruise about 6 years ago she was booked as a solo in a category "E", I think. Because the cruise didn't sell well she ended up in an "A1" at the same price. She was very lucky, I think!

Unfortunately for solos, they have to take what they can get ... it's not like they can select an itinerary because it's just perfect for them. They have to select among those itineraries that haven't sold as well.

Well, they can, they just have to pay the going rate for the whole cabin, not just for 125% of it, yet they get the entire cabin to themselves. And on certain cruises solos do get a better rate.

If solos were to book cabins at a deep discount, prices would likely be adjusted somewhat higher for every passenger onboard. When you book a hotel room, they don't give you that room for a lower price than two people would pay.

I empathize with your situation, but Oceania executives have decided that this is how they will price their cruises.

When my mother accompanied us on a cruise about 6 years ago she was booked as a solo in a category "E", I think. Because the cruise didn't sell well she ended up in an "A1" at the same price. She was very lucky, I think!

Retired as a civil servant, I am certainly not wealthy but I do plan ahead and book as soon as I find my itinerary. I don't travel as often as perhaps a lot of you do, so I cruise every other year or two. My late husband and did a lot of traveling before his passing, so I still have a few on my bucket list and realize do it now. Not one to room with someone unless I'm married to them:) The Amazon saiing was 25% as Mura mentioned above the per person rate. Others have been 150%.

I think you didn't really look too closely at my post. I have no problem with that because I do the same thing far too often.

Obviously, if you don't have a problem paying 200%, you have a complete choice of itinerary -- assuming someone didn't book your cabin before you did.

I was talking about people who aren't in that situation. And yes, I see the cruiseline's position as well. If the cruise is selling well, why would they forego a profit? I wouldn't.

In Candide's perfect world, a single could get a lovely cabin for half of what a couple pays. But I don't think we're ever going to see that perfect world.

Mura

I think you didn't really look too closely at my post. I have no problem with that because I do the same thing far too often.

Obviously, if you don't have a problem paying 200%, you have a complete choice of itinerary -- assuming someone didn't book your cabin before you did.

I was talking about people who aren't in that situation. And yes, I see the cruiseline's position as well. If the cruise is selling well, why would they forego a profit? I wouldn't.

In Candide's perfect world, a single could get a lovely cabin for half of what a couple pays. But I don't think we're ever going to see that perfect world.

Mura

I got your point and read it correctly. Perhaps I should have stated that I prefer not to get what is left. I prefer to pick and choose my location. If I didn't care where they put me and it is a crap shoot, then that would be different and I would take advantage. And..as long as Oceania is as successful as it is, I probably won't see many discounts in single fare especially Marina.

I got your point and read it correctly. Perhaps I should have stated that I prefer not to get what is left. I prefer to pick and choose my location. If I didn't care where they put me and it is a crap shoot, then that would be different and I would take advantage. And..as long as Oceania is as successful as it is, I probably won't see many discounts in single fare especially Marina.

Okay, I get that as well! I was sympathizing with people who may have to wait in order to get something they can afford. Obviously (I think it's obvious), we all would prefer to pick the itinerary we WANT, not the one that we can get.

To me it was also obvious that most if not all single travelers will feel the way you do. If someone is fortunate enough to be in a position to pay whatever it takes, that's great. But few people are ... especially at Oceania's rates.

We saw on our NCL cruise last spring (far from our favorite cruiseline!) that you get a lot more for your buck there in terms of your cabin. Our suite (not the highest level but a two bedroom, two bathroom family penthouse) cost less on a TA than Oceania's cheapest cabin. That doesn't mean we're switching to NCL! It doesn't begin to compare to O.

Unfortunately for single travelers, they are pretty well screwed wherever they go -- whether it's a cruise or a hotel.

Okay, I get that as well! I was sympathizing with people who may have to wait in order to get something they can afford. Obviously (I think it's obvious), we all would prefer to pick the itinerary we WANT, not the one that we can get.

To me it was also obvious that most if not all single travelers will feel the way you do. If someone is fortunate enough to be in a position to pay whatever it takes, that's great. But few people are ... especially at Oceania's rates.

We saw on our NCL cruise last spring (far from our favorite cruiseline!) that you get a lot more for your buck there in terms of your cabin. Our suite (not the highest level but a two bedroom, two bathroom family penthouse) cost less on a TA than Oceania's cheapest cabin. That doesn't mean we're switching to NCL! It doesn't begin to compare to O.

Unfortunately for single travelers, they are pretty well screwed wherever they go -- whether it's a cruise or a hotel.

Exactly. Politely screwed with no kiss:), although my hotel experience except for my upcoming safari trip I have not paid single supplment rates. Two of the four lodges I am paying the single supplement which I thought was interesting.

So far I have been blessed but again, I don't go as often. I believe Jan mentioned a line that caters to singles but I am hooked on Oceania. Feels like home.

Now that I am widowed and travel solo, I thought that I would not be able to cruise on Oceania again. After eight cruises on O, I will not pay a 100% single supplement. Imagine my surprise when I discovered the 25% single supplement for Alaska. Alaska wasn't even on my radar, having cruised there with Regent a few years ago. But I very happily booked and look forward to my cruise in August. I wish there were some way to be notified whenever the single rate drops. Dot

Now that I am widowed and travel solo, I thought that I would not be able to cruise on Oceania again. After eight cruises on O, I will not pay a 100% single supplement. Imagine my surprise when I discovered the 25% single supplement for Alaska. Alaska wasn't even on my radar, having cruised there with Regent a few years ago. But I very happily booked and look forward to my cruise in August. I wish there were some way to be notified whenever the single rate drops. Dot

That makes two of us. The Amazon was the furthest from my mind but I sooooo loved it. Check it out:). Miami to Miami.

Money is always an object, and no we do not have to take what we can get. Many of us are used to this pricing, and do select itineraries that are perfect for us, including the price but with much different criteria. When evaluating I don't compare prices to what couples are paying, but instead compare prices to what I would pay on other lines, holidays, etc. I think the people really complaining about single supplements are those new to single travel and/or only do it occasionally and otherwise often travel with friends - just a theory.

There are varying types of shoppers out there, price shoppers, value shoppers, and shoppers who use other subjective measures. RL solo traveler examples below:

I chose this year's New Zealand cruise on HAL for its dates (put us in Sydney for NYE) and the fact that friends wanted to cruise HAL. Single supplement of 50%. A friend ended up joining me and paid the other 50%.

I chose this September's Marina cruise for Marina, Oceania which looks real nice and doesn't have those silly formal nights, the itinerary as I didn't want to start and stop at the same port and I absolutely wanted a good amount of Greece and Istanbul in the itinerary and it had the added benefit of 3 additional countries to which I have yet to travel, cruise length (ideally 2 weeks), and the time of the year. The competitors were Costa, Crystal, and Seaborne (if I remember correctly). I did compare prices at the time, and because of the dates, itinerary and prices Oceania won. Note: I don't drink so the added benefit of alcohol being included in some other lines' prices was a factor in my decision, but differently from how most of you may value it.

Now I must admit I do not do a lot of cruising as another of my requirements for a cruise is that it must be to someplace I have yet to visit. This gives me a taste of new places and then the places I like I go back and visit on land based trips to soak up the culture and/or explore more in depth.

But the same rule of measure may be applied to hotels as most, except in Europe and Japan where they are often a bit less for singles, charge the same for single or double occupancy rooms.

The added benefit of traveling single is you can (usually) easily add another person should one's circumstances change. Actually I make all my reservations that effectively charge a 100% single supplement, like Oceania and most hotels, for 2 people. If hotels charge different rates for double and singles, then I will make 2 reservations. In case you are wondering the hotel reservations I make always have at most a policy of 7 days before arrival cancellation w/o penalty. The only exception to that is Vail for skiing where the cancellation policy is 45 days which I have been booking for over a decade.

It doesn't end there, how about real estate taxes (goes to schools in our area, but no kids here) and higher rates for income taxes yet only receive benefits for 1 person. Regressive tax structure, the more people using the benefits the less you pay. This comment of course is rhetorical as I am used to it, much like I am used to paying higher per person costs for cruise, hotels, and the like.

A Knitter, thanks for suggesting the Amazon cruise. My husband and I did that one in 2009, and it is a great trip. Dot

Dot. It was a great trip and the deal was so sweet at 125%, which included gratuities and an OBC. It was a trip I could not afford not to go on. I even had a free Delta ticket to Miami. At first I thought the Amazon!!!??, but glad I did go. May not see a deal like that for awhile. :D

I wish there were some way to be notified whenever the single rate drops. Dot

I have seen announcements in their weekly email

I think if you sign up under My Oceania you can get the emails

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/myoceanialogin.aspx?returnurl=%2fmyoceania%2fprofile.aspx&rse=YpAhTIBmAE_b_xtFNz70UfS9gdgQjtY7Tc_3lli4e7ucwPfrunJJhg..&lse=YpAhTIBmAE_b_xtFNz70UfS9gdgQjtY7Tc_3lli4e7ucwPfrunJJhg..

If you have a TA you use ask them to notify you when specials come up

Enjoy your cruise

lyn

I have seen announcements in their weekly email

I think if you sign up under My Oceania you can get the emails

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/myoceanialogin.aspx?returnurl=%2fmyoceania%2fprofile.aspx&rse=YpAhTIBmAE_b_xtFNz70UfS9gdgQjtY7Tc_3lli4e7ucwPfrunJJhg..&lse=YpAhTIBmAE_b_xtFNz70UfS9gdgQjtY7Tc_3lli4e7ucwPfrunJJhg..

If you have a TA you use ask them to notify you when specials come up

Enjoy your cruise

lyn

Does not work for Australians. I have been signed up for over 3 years and have not once received an email, about anything let alone single suppliment specials. pout.Hope my Canadia & US CC buddies let me now when they see these specials.

Does not work for Australians. I have been signed up for over 3 years and have not once received an email, about anything let alone single suppliment specials. pout.Hope my Canadia & US CC buddies let me now when they see these specials.

Will do ;)

but maybe they will not allow those downunder to get the perks just like the air ;)

If you wish, you may email me at holmtwin@dc.rr.com and I will notify you when I get these specials. Maria

I am looking at Oceania for a 2012 Northern Europe cruise (I know the itineraries are not posted yet). Can any of you experienced Oceania cruisers tell me 1) if this is an appropriate line to bring along our 20 year old son? He's well traveled and doesn't require the type of entertainment that RCCL Offers such as climbing wall etc. ( we've cruised RCCL 2x). 2). Is the sofa in the PH level suites a sofa bed? Or would we have to book a separate cabin for him at SS rates?

Thanks in advance for your help. For reference we are also considering HAL.

1) if this is an appropriate line to bring along our 20 year old son? He's well traveled and doesn't require the type of entertainment that RCCL Offers such as climbing wall etc. ( we've cruised RCCL 2x). 2). Is the sofa in the PH level suites a sofa bed? Or would we have to book a separate cabin for him at SS rates?

If he is comfortable cruising with you & more mature passengers he would probably enjoy the cruise

If on Marina it may attract a much younger crowd

On the deck plans it has Triples with sofabeds listed ..just be sure to book one of those cabins

some cabins have sofas some have sofabeds...a good TA should be able to get what you need

Enjoy

Lyn

I am looking at Oceania for a 2012 Northern Europe cruise (I know the itineraries are not posted yet). Can any of you experienced Oceania cruisers tell me 1) if this is an appropriate line to bring along our 20 year old son? He's well traveled and doesn't require the type of entertainment that RCCL Offers such as climbing wall etc. ( we've cruised RCCL 2x). 2). Is the sofa in the PH level suites a sofa bed? Or would we have to book a separate cabin for him at SS rates?

Yes, the PH suite sofa is a sofabed. There isn't much for a 20 year to do onboard, however the young men and women I have seen traveling didn't appear to be bored. If it is a port intensive cruise they will have plenty to see and do.

Archived