How is the tap water? Premium water?

Dena

We are planning to try Celebrity, probably AQ. I hear this includes Two bottles of Evian per cabin, per day. At home, we don't drink the tap water because it has too much chlorine. We drink Brita and Pelligrino. Is the ship's tap water very chlorinated, or does it have any other bad flavors. We would not use Crystalight as some suggest, because we don't like the taste. Has anyone tried the premium or non-premium water package?

I don't know if we would drink enough water to justify this, but we just might since we don't drink much else anymore.

We are planning to try Celebrity, probably AQ. I hear this includes Two bottles of Evian per cabin, per day. At home, we don't drink the tap water because it has too much chlorine. We drink Brita and Pelligrino. Is the ship's tap water very chlorinated, or does it have any other bad flavors. We would not use Crystalight as some suggest, because we don't like the taste. Has anyone tried the premium or non-premium water package?

I don't know if we would drink enough water to justify this, but we just might since we don't drink much else anymore.

We have been on 3 Celebrity cruises and I drink a lot of tap water - mostly at meals with lime. No problems. I think it tastes fine. Sometimes I buy a bottle of cold water by the pool.

Sara

To me the tap water is quite good, often better tasting than the bottled water you can buy onboard. We by one bottle at the start of the cruise and refill it with tap water for the remainder of the cruise. Be aware that much of the bottled water brands filter our many of the minerals that are needed by our bodies. The tap water on board, after being heavily refined from salt water, has these beneficial minerals added, which then makes it better for you than bottled water.

It is not Evian water, I don't remember the brand but it was not evian that you get for free. The Evian is put out in a larger bottle but if you drink it you will be charged. If you have a good steward, he will replace it when you take them. Anywhere else on the ship, you will pay for the water, I personally would never do that as the tap water is just as good...

I drink Brita filtered water and Pellegrino at home also, and the tap water on the ship is absolutely fine to drink. It's probably more filtered than 99% of the bottled waters out there.

I might spring for Pellegrino in the specialty restaurant as a treat, but in my opinion there is no reason to waste money on either bringing bottled water or paying for it on the ship.

We were in concierge class, and our room attendant kept the ice bucket and covered water pitcher filled for us. I thought the water tasted great. I'm not sure if all cabins have a water pitcher or not, maybe someone else can handle that.

We attended several of the "Oceans Ahead" programs, and during the one that discussed Celebrity environmental concerns they mentioned that the drinking water was of extremely high quality. And yes, you can get it from the tap if you don't have a pitcher in your stateroom.

If you are in AQ you get free bottled evian every day. We have sail in AQ 3 times and if we took the bottled water the steward replaced it. Having said that the tap water is fine and i drink it all the time

Modern cruise ships generate fresh water from the sea water. They use evaporators and reverse osmosis systems. The water quality is probably the same or better than the bottled water that they sell. It tastes just fine.

If there is one place where there is no reason to buy bottled water, it is on a cruise ship.

Modern cruise ships generate fresh water from the sea water. They use evaporators and reverse osmosis systems. The water quality is probably the same or better than the bottled water that they sell. It tastes just fine.

If there is one place where there is no reason to buy bottled water, it is on a cruise ship.

They do also take on tap water from various ports at times.

They do also take on tap water from various ports at times.

While they may take on water, it is not for use as drinking water. Water that is pumped in from land based water systems is used only for other purposes, such as toilet flushing, laundry, ship cleaning, etc. All water suitable for drinking is generated by the ship's desalination machinery, an expensive process. This is to guarantee the safety of the water being consumed in a closed environment. The last thing the ship needs are passengers sickened by drinking unhealthy water pumped in from an unstable shore based water source, or through unsanitary piping.

While they may take on water, it is not for use as drinking water. Water that is pumped in from land based water systems is used only for other purposes, such as toilet flushing, laundry, ship cleaning, etc. All water suitable for drinking is generated by the ship's desalination machinery, an expensive process. This is to guarantee the safety of the water being consumed in a closed environment. The last thing the ship needs are passengers sickened by drinking unhealthy water pumped in from an unstable shore based water source, or through unsanitary piping.

What is your source for this? I have heard from numerous people that the ship does a combination of making it's own drinking water as well as taking on tap water at various ports. Obviously they do not take water on from ports where the drinking water is not suitable for passengers' consumption.

I do all the time.It just seems odd to me to pay a premium for something I already get basically for free.Much bottled water is really bottled municipal tap water.More than likely the town is flushing their water system.This happens in the NorthEast on a yearly basis.Premium bottled water is water from a natural source and the highest standard of water quality combined with environmental sustainability and comprehensive protection of the source.

What is your source for this? I have heard from numerous people that the ship does a combination of making it's own drinking water as well as taking on tap water at various ports. Obviously they do not take water on from ports where the drinking water is not suitable for passengers' consumption.

I'm a "How do they do it?" junkie. I read every document I can find related to how things are done, and watch a lot of Science Channel type programs, especially if they are about cruise ships. My wife says I "know a little about a lot, but not enough to be useful" :D

One article I read dealt with how they make water on cruise ships. Sorry I can't remember where I found the article, but it clearly stated that all water for consumption is from the water treatment process on board, and never from shore based sources. This allows complete control over the drinking water quality. If I can find that article I'll post where that specific info can be found.

If you are interested in how a ship works, here is a very comprehensive article on the mechanics of cruise ships, part of it describing a tour of the Millennium.

http://www.chiefengineer.org/content/content_display.cfm/seqnumber_content/2923.htm

About 2/3rds way down it mentions water making, but this is not the article I read with the information I provided. Enjoy!

One article I read dealt with how they make water on cruise ships. Sorry I can't remember where I found the article, but it clearly stated that all water for consumption is from the water treatment process on board, and never from shore based sources.

Perhaps on a small cruise ship that may be possible, but on the larger cruise ships (encompassing all the mass market cruise line's ships) the tap water is a combination of water brought on at ports as well as sea water converted into drinking water by the ship.

FYI - I just found this on the FAQ section of Celebrity's website: "Is the water onboard the ship safe to drink?

Subject: Environmental

Yes, All potable water is either distilled from seawater or loaded onboard while the ship is in port. The company adheres to Vessel Sanitation System standards published by the US Public Health Service (USPHS). USPHS conducts inspections of the ship both during construction and during the year to ensure compliance.

Part of the USPHS standards discussed potable water disinfectant devices and equipment. Potable water distribution systems are treated by means of an approved chlorination or bromination system. Records of the ship's automatic chlorine or bromine analyzer are maintained and water samples are tested on a regular basis."

I'm glad you asked the water question, I've been wondering myself..I just couldn't remember what it was like the last few, and I don't drink soda anymore.

I'm also fairly certain the ships don't take on tap water at ports, my hubby is also an engineer and he learned all about the purification systems years ago. It also doesn't make sense fiscally...they have this expensive state of the art desalination equipment and they would pay to take on tap water from an unknown source?

I'm also fairly certain the ships don't take on tap water at ports, my hubby is also an engineer and he learned all about the purification systems years ago. It also doesn't make sense fiscally...they have this expensive state of the art desalination equipment and they would pay to take on tap water from an unknown source?

So Celebrity is lying when they say that they do take on some of their water at ports? :confused:

I had actually asked this question several years ago and had been told that most of the water was carried in tanks specifically for that purpose. The ships do use desalinization systems ( I think that they can use at least some of the waste heat in the engine exhausts for some of the process), but they do use both.

Archived