Docking in Venice

Coolgran

The Princess water taxi is convenient.

Believe it or not, my husband and I walked from the St. Marks area back to the cruise ship. I don't recommend it though!!!

That's one night I'll never forget!!!

I did the same, armed with a map, and the fact there are signs on the buildings marked "Ferrovia" which is the railroad station across from the Piazzala Roma.

I once read, "To discover Venice, get lost in Venice". I found charming uncrowded Piazzas, interesting shops, etc.

Only valid on the non-stop special water bus from Pier to St. Marks and back as many times as you like.

Grazie! We'll have to see how they work it when it's one cruise for us but is also available as 2 different cruises. The time we had a similar situation, all of the accounts, etc ended & then began again requiring a different shipboard card. We'll be in Venice for 2 nights so the vaporetto pass may end up being the most efficient, cost effective option for us vs. 2 ship passes to San Marco.

Princess Cruises normally docks in the port area which is closest to the mainland. There is a elevated rail car that will take you from the port area to the main part of Venice; it is about a 10 minute walk from the Terminal and costs 1 euro. You use touch screens to purchase the tickets and instructions are available in English. The walk from the Venice end (it terminates in the square nearest the rail station which is also the bus terminal for Venice) to St. Marks square is about 20-30 minutes. Get yourself a good map and note that the street (alley) signes are placed about half way up the side of the buildings. Enjoy- we've been 3 times and really enjoy the City.

Assume that if we're disembarking in Venice, we just make all our own arrangements - no Princess vaporetto (we don't want to go to St Marks Square anyway - not with our luggage:p) We're staying in Venice 2 nights, just starting to figure out what we'll be doing...Thanks!

As stated above the Princess vaporetto does not take you to the ship for embarkation. Also, you have to handle your own luggage on a vaporetto. The Alilaguna line has route "M" which goes from the S. Marco Giardinetti pier to the Marittima pier where the cruise ships are docked. They will load and unload you luggage for you!

As stated above the Princess vaporetto does not take you to the ship for embarkation.

I'm asking about disembarking in Venice ;) And I'm assuming we take our luggage off Pacific and take the people mover to the Piazza Roma to get a vaporetto closer to our hotel......

Hi have had a look on the www.vtp.ie website which gives details of where cruise ships dock. The Grand Princess is shows:

07/07/2011 09:00 21:00 GRAND PRINCESS PRINCESS CRUISES INC VE 18 MARITIME

12/10/2011 09:00 21:00 GRAND PRINCESS PRINCESS CRUISES INC VE 107 MARITIME

I had a look at the Valporeto website and it seems I can get a 12 hour pass for €16 which gives unlimited usage for that time which seems a good deal. There appears to be a Valporeto station very close to the Marime dock and goes straight to St Marks. From there you can get all over Venice.

Has anyone done this and is it as easy as it seems, if it is I might well hand my Princess pass back and not use it.

Is there a people mover from the vaporetto stop to the boarding area for the ship? I am not sure if that was answered.

Don't know if this has been answered....the People Mover is a short distance from the cruise terminal accross a parking lot (a big lot) and a bit of a trot if you are lugging bags...but very doable...was there last Sept.

Also when all else fails and your feet are killing you .... Splurg on a nice long gondola ride...spendy but you are in Venice! There are gondola stands all over as you snake thru the city, we got lost at every turn!

Archived