NCL Lovers May Be Sailing Carnival Miracle

From Virginia Beach

Folks,

We're NCL lovers (who also like Holland) and are thinking of doing the 8 day Carnival Miracle cruise departing 12/13/10.

We're a little nervous because of the "fun ship" mentality and wonder if we're setting ourselves - though we live by the philosophy of any day at sea is better than one on land.

Our hope is that the 8 day itinerary outside of the X-mas season will attract an older more sedate crowd.

Also, we love the adult only hydro spas and wonder if it's available on the Miracle (can't seem to find it on-line so suspect not).

We also are wary of the signing during dinner - so the premium restaurants do that too?

Thanks so much all and happy cruising!

Best, Karen

Folks,

We're NCL lovers (who also like Holland) and are thinking of doing the 8 day Carnival Miracle cruise departing 12/13/10.

We're a little nervous because of the "fun ship" mentality and wonder if we're setting ourselves - though we live by the philosophy of any day at sea is better than one on land.

Our hope is that the 8 day itinerary outside of the X-mas season will attract an older more sedate crowd.

Also, we love the adult only hydro spas and wonder if it's available on the Miracle (can't seem to find it on-line so suspect not).

We also are wary of the signing during dinner - so the premium restaurants do that too?

Best, Karen

Have you posted this on the Carnival board? You might end up with different answers over there...:)

We've been on many Carnival cruises and the Fun Ship mentality is really a carry over to the very first Carnival cruise back in the day when the ship ran aground and free booze was given out and the media picked up on that and ran with it.

We have been on the Miracle twice and had a great time. The only cruise that was kind of out of control was when we did a college spring break week cruise on the Sensation and the ship got a bit trashed as the week wore on. I suspect that happens on any line with that crowd?:rolleyes:

As a matter of fact we were to leave yesterday 9-12 on the Miracle but job uncertainty made me cancel it.

Go and have a ball!

Paul

I agree with PFV's comments. An 8 day cruise such as the one you are contemplating will surely be more "sedate" than a 3 or 4 day sailing during spring break. You will find that NCL and Carnival have more in common than any diffences between them. I like both and will continue to sail on both lines. I would also like to add that the Miracle is part of the Spirit class of ships. Many travellers consider this class to be the best there is. Not to big, not to small, easy to get around on. Another good reason to give it a try.

You'll enjoy the Carnival Miracle very much. I've sailed on Carnival a couple of times and have never experienced any problems. The ship, staff and other passengers were very polite and respectful. Like many of the other cruise lines I'd suggest you avoid March and April because of the school breaks.

Enjoy your cruise!:)

Folks,

Best, Karen

Overall there's not a dime's worth of difference between Carnival and NCL. I wish I could combine the best of both and get a truly superior cruise line.

You'll love the roomier cabins on Carnival, but if you go to the MDR much you may miss the freestyle dining, although I think the Miracle now has "Your Choice Dining." There are a lot more activities and much, much better trivia and games with the social hosts on Carnival which will make those 4 sea days a little more entertaining.

By all means go and and have fun.

Karen

We just got off the Jewel and had an '08 and an '09 cruise on the Miracle.

Lido aft pool area on the Miracle is Adults only. Without looking at my pictures I think it was one spa and small pool.

They now offer "anytime" dining as well as seated times for the MDR. The only specialty restaurant is Nick and Nora's which is very good.

We have learned to sail in September to get away from teenagers running wild but wound up with a lot of kids this trip because they weren't back in school yet. Most all of them were fine. A few screaming babies that the mothers chose to allow them to continue to scream as opposed to getting up and walking out of the dining room until they stopped.:mad:

I think Carnival gets a bum rap with this "party, party, party" reputation. I found between Carnival and NCL you can find a quiet place to relax or you can be in the mix of the madness -- your choice.

You've said there are no bad days on a cruise for you. If the pricing and timing is right go for it. We came down to the Miracle and the Jewel. I chose the Jewel because the dates worked better for us and I really wanted to try a new ship. I wasn't disappointed. We've been on the Miracle's sister ships, Pride and Legend, and they were just as enjoyable. To make any comparisons would be this -- the Miracle has a large wide open Atrium area whereas the NCL ships we've been on have slightly open area, more subtle, more quiet than Carnival. Hallways a bit more narrow on Carnival, but trade-off is larger cabins. NCL a bit wider hallways but much smaller cabins (balcony category). NCL has doors on shower, Carnival has shower curtains.

As long as I'm not being told to abandon ship I am not having a bad cruise no matter who the line is.

Kathy

We are NCL Freestyle fans who almost booked a cruise on the Carnival Pride this fall, mainly to try another cruise line. But we were told that we could only be "waitlisted" for the "Your Time" dining (I had NO idea when I called Carnival that you had to be confirmed for that, and that it was limited), that the 6:15pm dinner seating was full, and that we could only be confirmed for a dinner seating at 8:15pm, AND if we wanted to see whatever entertainment they were doing in the evening, it was scheduled so that we'd have to go AFTER (an already late) dinner. That sounded like a terribly inflexible week for what was supposed to be a relaxing vacation, and so we booked a nearly identical itinerary on the Jewel.

I'm glad to hear NCLers have enjoyed Carnival. Maybe we will try again with a future booking....

We are NCL Freestyle fans who almost booked a cruise on the Carnival Pride this fall, mainly to try another cruise line. But we were told that we could only be "waitlisted" for the "Your Time" dining (I had NO idea when I called Carnival that you had to be confirmed for that, and that it was limited), that the 6:15pm dinner seating was full, and that we could only be confirmed for a dinner seating at 8:15pm, AND if we wanted to see whatever entertainment they were doing in the evening, it was scheduled so that we'd have to go AFTER (an already late) dinner. That sounded like a terribly inflexible week for what was supposed to be a relaxing vacation, and so we booked a nearly identical itinerary on the Jewel.

I'm glad to hear NCLers have enjoyed Carnival. Maybe we will try again with a future booking....

Our last two Miracle cruises we were "waitlisted" That lasted two months when they came back to the TA giving it to us. I think they might do that to get a head count.

Archived