Considering changing from hal to solstice

We (ages 50=60) have sailed on HAL several times and feel very comfortable with its atmosphere...not intrusive, fresh flowers and friendly helpful staff, little emphasis not drinking, relatively quiet atmosphere). We currently have a Eastern Caribbrean cruise booked which includes our 15yr old grandaughter. My husband has recently become interested in glass blowing so we are considering changing to the Solstice since they have a glass blowing area/display. What significant differences would we experience? Do passengers dress more upscale on Celebrity? During spring break is the number of kids a problem?

Thanks

Marcia

I have pretty much given up on HAL after a 26 day B2B cruse where we could never use our balcony due to the amount of smokers around us. Almost every time we wanted to enjoy our balcony, someone nearby was smoking.

So with Celebrity prohibiting smoking in cabins and balconies, we have 2 cruises booked. Plus we really enjoy the S class ships.

We (ages 50=60) have sailed on HAL several times and feel very comfortable with its atmosphere...not intrusive, fresh flowers and friendly helpful staff, little emphasis not drinking, relatively quiet atmosphere). We currently have a Eastern Caribbrean cruise booked which includes our 15yr old grandaughter. My husband has recently become interested in glass blowing so we are considering changing to the Solstice since they have a glass blowing area/display. What significant differences would we experience? Do passengers dress more upscale on Celebrity? During spring break is the number of kids a problem?

Thanks

Marcia

I actually think you will find many similarities between the two lines. First off, you are sailing on Celebrity's Flag Ship, which in my opinion, the Solstice is one of the most innovative designs for cruise ship travel in decades. Everything from the flow of public areas to the attention to details in the designing of the cabins is just incredible. I really don't think you will be disappointed with the ship.

As for Spring Break, I do think Celebrity attracts more families with children than HAL. However, I sailed on the Solstice over spring break and the children were all well behaved. There was a group of teens who were not, but we saw security handle the situation on the second day of the cruise and they weren't an issue again.

The glass blowing is nice, with several shows throughout the cruise. It really is a nice setup because the glass blowing occurs right on the Lawn Club and some of the pieces they create are just beautiful. I think down in the shops you can purchase some things made at the glass blowing shows. We were able to purchase a Xmas ornament blown right aboard the Solstice.

Food (although many people will give you varying opinions), was excellent. We did find Tuscan Grille and Muranos to be superior to any food found in the Main Dining Room, but that is to be expected when you pay a surcharge.

Service is always excellent - greetings in the hall, bar tender remembers your favorite drink, waiter in the dining room warmly greets you every evening, etc. When I sail on Celebrity, I see the crew always paying special attention to children, so that is a big plus.

However you choose, I think you can't go wrong with either HAL or Celebrity. If you decide to go with Celebrity, check out any of the Suites (they are spectacular) or Concierge Class or Aqua Class.

Archived