Irons and Fans

blueeyegirl

We just returned from the Dream this past Saturday (9-11-10). I can say for sure that they were taking away irons and fans from peoples bags as we were boarding. I saw it first hand with a fan. Then the last night on the ship we were walking back to our room as they were delivering the booze and saw all kinds of fans and irons laying by the rooms that they belong to. As we were going through the ropes to board...they had a question about one of my carry ons. An officer asked if I had an iron in it and I told him I don't iron at home much less do it on vacation..LOL It turned out to be they were training some and the bag they were questioning about had my hubby's cpap machine in it.

Irons should be confiscated but fans should not unless they pose a hazard:

Miscellaneous Concerns:

• Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat and curling irons, shavers, etc., are allowed on board when used with proper caution. These devices should not be used when other electrical appliances are plugged in. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Electronics such as laptops, cameras, cellular phones, etc. are allowed on board when used with proper caution.

• Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?icid=CC_Footer_88#q-276

I can not imagine taking a clothes iron with me on vacation! Talk about blowing my luggage weight limit for my flight! I'm with the OP, I hate to iron at home so I am NOT going to iron on vacation. :D

With all the wrinkle free light weight clothing available today, I can't think of a reason to bring an iron on board a ship, but then I'm a guy. If a shirt of mine looks wrinkled when I unpack (rarely happens), I can hang it on the bathroom door and the steam from the shower uncreases it. And then there are irons available in the laundry rooms located on each deck.

I would really hate to have one of my cruises interrupted by an electrical fire caused by an iron (or blender, vacuum, or whatever banned amperage drawing electrical item) someone got through the inspection process.

Irons should be confiscated but fans should not unless they pose a hazard:

Miscellaneous Concerns:

• Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat and curling irons, shavers, etc., are allowed on board when used with proper caution. These devices should not be used when other electrical appliances are plugged in. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Electronics such as laptops, cameras, cellular phones, etc. are allowed on board when used with proper caution.

• Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?icid=CC_Footer_88#q-276

100% agree

I can not imagine taking a clothes iron with me on vacation! Talk about blowing my luggage weight limit for my flight! I'm with the OP, I hate to iron at home so I am NOT going to iron on vacation. :D

I am of the grey generation but hate ironing - if something needs ironing I lift my mattress lay it between it and the box spring and sleep on it - happy dreams. My son keeps the ironing board and iron in his room as he knows that Mom sure isn't going to use it - can't see that I would ever do it on vacation.

Heck, I'd have to go find mine. I haven't ironed in 10 years. Around here there are $1.75 per piece dry cleaners on every corner. I can't imagine ironing on a vacation. Guess I don't care if I have a few wrinkles. Hopefully they match the ones on my face.

If you pack your bags correctly, you won't have many wrinkled clothes. See the video below in my signature. The key is to pack in bundles instead of each item separately...

Back during the early 1970s there were a few high rise hotel fires, even one in Las Vegas... Many nations at that time passed legislation. The US passed the 1974 Fire Prevention and Safety Act. In the legislation ironing boards must be provided by the hospitality industry. Its illegal to use irons without ironing boards in a hotel room or a cruise ship cabin...

Why people use their irons without their ironing boards? I haven't a clue... Its a fire hazard...

Archived