First cruise...daft question...lol

laurakdy

Sorry, what do you mean by plug ins?

Ships have electric current that is both for US and European appliances. You should not need a converter or adapter. The outlets are the US type and the round pronged Euro type.

What do you mean by "wondering if I have to take anything"? You're not very clear with that.

We have found it a good idea to take a small power strip with us as we have so many rechargeable items. There are not a lot of plugs, usually one one the dresser area and one in the bathroom. We have iphones, portable computers, GPS and cameras that all need charging.

Kirk

We'e going on our first cruise in november...Its on the costa atlantica to the caribbean...

Now my question is, will I need to take plug ins ?

Does anyone know what the voltage is on these ships ?

I was wondering if I have to take anything etc ?

Beware, if you take a charger that plugs into a wall and needs to fit flush against the wall, in many ships this is impossible. The socket will have some form of protuberance above/below the socket preventing the charger to fit flush against the wall.

Beware, if you take a charger that plugs into a wall and needs to fit flush against the wall, in many ships this is impossible. The socket will have some form of protuberance above/below the socket preventing the charger to fit flush against the wall.

Yep, been there, lost-out on that :D

So take a short extension CABLE, which plugs in one end & has a block of sockets on the other end.:)

JB

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the European sockets are different to those in the UK? I assumed that I'd need to take an adaptor for my dryer, straightners and camera.

I am a little perplexed, what is everyone taking that means they need an extension lead? Am I missing something vital?

I thought the European sockets are different to those in the UK? I assumed that I'd need to take an adaptor for my dryer, straightners and camera.

I am a little perplexed, what is everyone taking that means they need an extension lead? Am I missing something vital?

Yes, most cruiselines do not have UK sockets in the cabin, only the US (110 V) and the European continental ones on 220V.

On our last cruise, there were only 2 sockets in the cabin, so if you take several appliances: camera, electric toothbrush, ipod, mobile phone, laptop, razor, etc, an extension cable with multiple sockets at the end would come in handy. We personally did not feel we needed one.

Beware that some cruiselines do not allow you to take hairdryers or hair straightners on board due to the fire risk. This will be mentioned somewhere in your cruise documents.

Yes, most cruiselines do not have UK sockets in the cabin, only the US (110 V) and the European continental ones on 220V.

On our last cruise, there were only 2 sockets in the cabin, so if you take several appliances: camera, electric toothbrush, ipod, mobile phone, laptop, razor, etc, an extension cable with multiple sockets at the end would come in handy. We personally did not feel we needed one.

Beware that some cruiselines do not allow you to take hairdryers or hair straightners on board due to the fire risk. This will be mentioned somewhere in your cruise documents.

We have cruised on most of the major lines and all of them allow hairdryers and straightners or curling irons. How would anyone do their hair without these? I think you are mistaken.

Actually, some cruise lines have a new rule that extension cords and power strips are illegal to bring on board. When your bags go through screening, if those items are seen, they are opening bags and removing the items. There have been some fires on board ships recently that were traced to extension cords and power strips. Some of those things overload the circuits and start problems.

We have cruised on most of the major lines and all of them allow hairdryers and straightners or curling irons. How would anyone do their hair without these? I think you are mistaken.

Some lines do restrict hair straighteners, just like they do clothes steamers. But some people bring them on board and hope security doesn't find them during the screening process.

I'm from the UK and you will need the adaptors as the European ones are different to ours. We've never bought a power strip along as I was always concerned about safety using one of these AND having the adaptors plugged into it. I can tell you though, even using our adaptors, your hair dryer will run a bit slower than it does at home and your straighteners will take longer to heat up but you'll manage fine. :)

Archived