Westin Gaslamp Hotel San Diego

doe326

It is attached to the Horton Plaza Mall and has a small pool.

Not sure what other info you'd like or why only Cruise Critic people are acceptable as reviewers? You can read lots of reviews on Trip Advisor.

Lighten up. We ask questions on CC because we can have a conversation with someone in real time regarding our query. Or do you prefer an old review of the hotel in question as opposed to conversing with someone who may have recently stayed there?

Sometimes it seems like people read these boards just to express negativity. Obviously they were never told "if you don't have anything nice to say, just don't say anything at all". I see this occuring all the time on the CC boards and always wonder why if they can't answer the question being asked, why they respond at all!!!!

As far as the Westin goes, I have never stayed in a bad Westin, and my experience at the Gaslamp Westin was no exception. We enjoyed our stay there tremendously and I am sure your stay will be no different. San Diego is truly a wonderful city and I say ENJOY!!!!

Riffsatsea- With all due respect your reply was rather snarky and out of line since OP has looked at reviews elsewhere (quite possibly Tripadvisor). Also you're usually very helpful here and on TA. I've noticed comments posted on TA have a different "cast" to them than CC probably because the context is different. A business traveler, family vacationers, or honeymoon couple will critique and review different things than a pre- or post-cruise visitor.

Just saying.

OP- Never stayed there since I'm a local so I can't comment on the hotel, although the location is great!

Lighten up. We ask questions on CC because we can have a conversation with someone in real time regarding our query. Or do you prefer an old review of the hotel in question as opposed to conversing with someone who may have recently stayed there?

Thank you. At least I'm not the only one who thought the answer was a bit snarky. I read the reviews on TripAdvisor but wanted to hear from some CC people as I value their opinions also.:)

Sometimes it seems like people read these boards just to express negativity. Obviously they were never told "if you don't have anything nice to say, just don't say anything at all". I see this occuring all the time on the CC boards and always wonder why if they can't answer the question being asked, why they respond at all!!!!

As far as the Westin goes, I have never stayed in a bad Westin, and my experience at the Gaslamp Westin was no exception. We enjoyed our stay there tremendously and I am sure your stay will be no different. San Diego is truly a wonderful city and I say ENJOY!!!!

Thank you for the info about the Westin. I hesitated to even post a question because there have been so many negative and snarky comments lately and then I get one. As I said I did check TripAdvisor but wanted some input from CC people as I have gotten a wealth of information from them in the past. I have really cut down on posting and commenting because of comments like the one from riffatsea.

Thank you to those who were nice enough to offer some constructive comments.

It is attached to the Horton Plaza Mall and has a small pool.

Not sure what other info you'd like or why only Cruise Critic people are acceptable as reviewers? You can read lots of reviews on Trip Advisor.

I hesitated to answer you because of the tone of your answer. I never indicated that CC people were the only acceptable reviewers. I have gained a wealth of information from CC people and wanted some feedback from them. I did in fact read the reviews on Trip Advisor. I didn't realize I couldn't ask for information from CC people also. I was brought up that if you can't say something nice about someone don't say anything at all. Getting really tired of the attitude of some of the posts on here. I never realized there were so many superior people here on CC.

Sorry that my comment seemed so negative!!:mad:

I truly do not understand the need to check with other cruisers about hotels. I appreciate the explanation from mudscraper about wanting to talk to a person in real time.

I at least gave some info about the hotel.

I do not understand the need for other posters who have absolutely nothing to say about the hotel to jump onto this thread to tell me I am "snarky".

I certainly understand doe326 telling me she didn't appreciate my comments!! I suppose there is no good explanation except I get frustrated sometimes on this board. I will try to limit my further contributions to specific facts and keep my frustrations in check!

I am researching hotels for San Diego as well ,and it makes perfect sense to me, since there is a board specifically on this subject, that I would post the same question here. There are tons of cruisers who have stayed at hotels in San Diego that would have useful information.

I am at the point of using the search function as much as possible so I don't need to post a question and get a snarky remark like the OP did.

Cruise Critic can be so unpleasant at times.

If someone sees a post they don't think should have been posted or they don't agree with, then move on. :rolleyes:

Happy Cruising!

Toni

We've stayed at the Westin Gaslamp and are staying there again tomorrow. I like its proximity to Horton Plaza and the restaurant we like to go to, de'Medici. The hotel is a little "edgy" in its common area decor, but it's clean and of course they have the Heavenly Beds, so you can't really ask for anything more.

My one complaint about our room was that the thermostat didn't seem to go below about 70. I prefer to sleep in something just a bit warmer than a meat locker, so mentioned that at the front desk. Apparently engineering can override the setting, so I plan to ask about that first thing tomorrow.

Also, it's valet parking only for something like $30/night, which is eyepoppingly expensive to me. We were staying on points, so it didn't hurt as much as it could have.

DH prefers the Westin San Diego on Broadway. It's more convenient to the pier, but the walk back after dinner in the Gaslamp is little more dodgy than I'd like, especially if night court is in session. But it's very nice, too.

BTW, if you don't want to lug a lot of toiletries on a plane, there's a drugstore (CVS, I think, maybe Walgreen's) in Horton Plaza, so you can pick up some stuff there pre-cruise. Just a thought...

We've stayed at the Westin Gaslamp and are staying there again tomorrow. I like its proximity to Horton Plaza and the restaurant we like to go to, de'Medici. The hotel is a little "edgy" in its common area decor, but it's clean and of course they have the Heavenly Beds, so you can't really ask for anything more.

My one complaint about our room was that the thermostat didn't seem to go below about 70. I prefer to sleep in something just a bit warmer than a meat locker, so mentioned that at the front desk. Apparently engineering can override the setting, so I plan to ask about that first thing tomorrow.

Also, it's valet parking only for something like $30/night, which is eyepoppingly expensive to me. We were staying on points, so it didn't hurt as much as it could have.

DH prefers the Westin San Diego on Broadway. It's more convenient to the pier, but the walk back after dinner in the Gaslamp is little more dodgy than I'd like, especially if night court is in session. But it's very nice, too.

BTW, if you don't want to lug a lot of toiletries on a plane, there's a drugstore (CVS, I think, maybe Walgreen's) in Horton Plaza, so you can pick up some stuff there pre-cruise. Just a thought...

Thanks for the great info. Parking is not a problem as we won't have a car. I'm going to book the Westin tomorow. Does the CVS (or Walgreen's) sell wine? We'd like to get some to take on the cruise.:)

Thanks for the great info. Parking is not a problem as we won't have a car. I'm going to book the Westin tomorow. Does the CVS (or Walgreen's) sell wine? We'd like to get some to take on the cruise.:)

Update: the hotel was perfect for our needs. I will say that it was a touch shabby in some of the public areas - the carpet outside the elevators was frayed and there were some stains & scuff marks in the halls. But the room itself was clean, the thermostat went down to 60 (I took pity on DH and kept it at 68) and we were happy.

We did have to call to ask for bathrobes - I think that, in an effort to cut costs, they have them on request only. There always used to be one (and we'd have to call for a second one).

I don't know for sure, but I'll bet that the CVS does sell wine. If not, there's a Ralph's market somewhere in the Gaslamp and they will have wine. I know I've walked past it; I just don't recall the address.

And for breakfast, try the Panera Bread right outside the front door. Better and less expensive than the hotel option. Have a great trip!

Archived