Cutting Cruise short?

Sarmty

If you've got a laptop, you can purchase wireless access minutes (reasonable if you are like me and really want an internet connection while you are cruising!) from the ship and Skype from your cabin? Skype costs nothing to download and is a great way to contact folks (video messaging for those who don't know what it is!) You should make sure to download the program to your computer before leaving home of course!

It will be like he is IN the meeting and he wouldn't have to leave the ship! Just a thought.......

I like this idea!

Hi -

We are scheduled to cruise on the Freedom in just over 2 weeks. My Hubby has just found out there is a huge meeting he has to attend during the time we are cruising. Is it allowed for him to get on the ship with us but when we stop in Key West he will just fly home? Is there a penalty we will have to pay for him leaving the ship? Would he be allowed to reboard the boat in Jamaica?

Does anyone know if there is any way to call into a meeting from the ship on a day at sea? I know the cost would be outrageous, but are the ship phones good quality or would it drop the call constantly?

We would cancel alltogether, but there is a group of family members going and it's not fair to cancel at this late date.

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Hubby has called in for a meeting from various ports at times so it can be done....I just remind him that vacations are important too, so he does not do it often. One year we were on a tour, sailing in grand cayman, and he was directing a meeting, the others on the tour had a fun time with some cat calls lol

HE CAN GO!!! He talked it over with the "higher ups" and the main one said he should go because "it's the right thing to do for your family". The kids and I are so happy!!! Doesn't mean he won't have to call and check in on the meeting when we're in port, but at least he won't have to be on the phone for hours or worse yet.....have to stay home.

You have no idea how happy we are! Our poor son had wanted to know if we were getting a divorce as he just couldn't understand why Dad wasn't coming with us on vacation.

Thank you all for your help!!

HE CAN GO!!! He talked it over with the "higher ups" and the main one said he should go because "it's the right thing to do for your family". The kids and I are so happy!!! Doesn't mean he won't have to call and check in on the meeting when we're in port, but at least he won't have to be on the phone for hours or worse yet.....have to stay home.

You have no idea how happy we are! Our poor son had wanted to know if we were getting a divorce as he just couldn't understand why Dad wasn't coming with us on vacation.

Glad to know there was a happy ending. Have fun on your cruise!

Wonderful!! :) Have a Great Cruise!!!:) And a toast to all the CCers who posted here when you get your first DOD!:cool:

To the ones that say you "can't", what happens if someone actually does miss the ship. Does Jones actually show up?

There was a thread on the HAL board a couple of years ago, about a family that missed the sailing out of Vancouver. The cruise was a one-way, northbound from Vancouver to one of the Alaskan cities. They flew ahead and boarded in the first Alaskan port of call. They were charged $300 per person.

I'm glad things worked out for you. :)

NOT directed to any poster in particular...just thinking out loud...

I can't think of a single job that can't be vacant OR filled by someone else for a week. :confused:

What happens if someone drops dead? :D

I don't know about you, but where I work we have to give two weeks notice.

There was a thread on the HAL board a couple of years ago, about a family that missed the sailing out of Vancouver. The cruise was a one-way, northbound from Vancouver to one of the Alaskan cities. They flew ahead and boarded in the first Alaskan port of call. They were charged $300 per person.

Just think how much they would have saved had they planned their arrival better. Not only the $300 per person, but also the extra cost of traveling to the next port of call.

Archived