Automatically charged for Vacation Protection?

izzypooch

Okay, here's the deal. I booked with a PVP and at the time the Vacation Protection was offered but I refused. On all the copies of the booking I've received (Booked ES so I've had several revisions emailed me), the vacation protection always appeared as "optional charges" I believe at the time of initial booking when I refused it, the PVP said something like "well, you can always still add it" or whatever. So I never thought anything about it.

I had also had it set up where my final payment would be made automatically with a credit card on file. Final payment day was 8-2 and I did get the notification that a payment had been initiated with an amount given, but I really didn't remember what the final payment was supposed to be off hand so didn't think anything about it.

Now, just today I was reading on CC that OBCs are now available on line on Carnival's website so I thought I'd take a look at my documents and low and behold it shows that the vacation protection was purchased!

We've never used travel insurance -- and yes I understand the gamble, but we don't have air travel involved so most likely it would just be health or other unforseen issues that would make us miss a cruise and we're willing to take that chance.

So, before I make the call, I was just wondering if this had ever happened to anyone else. My only guess as to why this was added is that maybe I was supposed to have them take it off the "optional" status before final payment, ?? but noone ever told me that.

(And, if they ask why I haven't called sooner, I'm just going to remind them that documents were not accessible on their website until just a few days ago!)

I just paid off our cruise on 9/13, we didn't purchase the insurance when we booked either. When I made final payment they did not add the insurance to our vacation. I would definately call and find out what the situation is because we have never had them add insurance without our approval.

Carnival site, Go into manage my cruise, go into billing and you can remove it there. The other way is to have the PVP remove it at final payment. We always call the PVP to do our final payment. Carnivals ins only covers the cruise, and we want everything covered so we get our on Ins.

Carnival site, Go into manage my cruise, go into billing and you can remove it there. The other way is to have the PVP remove it at final payment. We always call the PVP to do our final payment. Carnivals ins only covers the cruise, and we want everything covered so we get our on Ins.

They already made final payment.......

He's already made the final payment and been charged for the Trip Protection. He'll now need to call PVP and get it either charged back to credit card or OBC. ken

For my cruise last May, I was charged by Carnival for the insurance that I thought I had refused at booking. I called my PVP the day the charge went on our credit card bill (the day the final payment was due) and was told that once it was paid for, there was absolutely nothing he could do about it - it could not be cancelled after final payment was made. So, I just chalked it up as a lesson learned and moved on. For my next cruise, I made certain my PVP understood that I did *not* want Carnival's insurance.

Janis

I'm leaving Monday on a cruise that I booked after the final payment date, so I had to pay in full. I called and used a pvp. When I looked at my documents I found out that I had bought the Carnival insurance as well. They never mentioned it to me at all and the price that I was told apparently included it. I didn't mind this time, since I thought the price was good even without the included insurance. I did make a mental note to ask and double check before I book again, though.

I booked my current cruise through a TA this past March and was charged for insurance without my knowing. Insurance was not even mentioned once during our phone conversation. Btw, she was a horrible person to work with and I regretted booking through them. Lesson learned. Anyway, I only found out that I was charged when I saw the invoices but I decided to leave it on (although a heads up would've been nice).

How could anyone not know they paid for insurance......don't you get a breakdown of what you paid for on a invoice:confused: And paying for insurance without receiving a policy:confused: Which means you don't even know what is covered and what is not......

Wow what an easy scam........they get a comission for selling insurance policies........

How could anyone not know they paid for insurance......don't you get a breakdown of what you paid for on a invoice:confused: And paying for insurance without receiving a policy:confused: Which means you don't even know what is covered and what is not......

Wow what an easy scam........they get a comission for selling insurance policies........

If it's anything like what happened to us, it's sometimes added from booking date to final payment date. Luckily, I happened to notice the change before we paid.

I booked my cruise with an outside TA. She told us she had trouble taking OFF the Carnival trip insurance on the computer when we first booked. She was finally able to do it but it took an effort so I think that Carnival is making it difficult on purpose so they can sell their insurance.

We don't buy it because it does not include pre existing conditions.

You need to be very strong when telling the Carnival agent that you do NOT want this!

I booked over the phone, so no invoice or anything right away. When I checked my documents online...there was the insurance policy. Like I said, it had been included in the price I was quoted (which was a steal anyway) so I just didn't bother looking into it any further. $259 for a 5 day Western Caribbean including insurance? I wasn't going to complain lol.

That happened on this cruise coming up but she told me she was going to add it. If i wanted it taken off just let her (pvp) know . I thought it over and called her back before final payment and it was taken off. Since this is happening alot maybe it is Carnival telling their pvp's to push it.

I maybe wrong but I think their must be some kick back for PVP's who sell that insurance. We have been using our PVP for years but we never previously had her send so many emails and call us so many times trying to sell their insurance before our most recent cruise.

Classic! Someone posts on CC and others use the opportunity to tell them how dumb they are.Veeeery nice

Cruising documents were and are available on the website.

It just suddenly appears? I don't get it:confused:

Yep, it happened to me. I booked thru a PVP and refused insurance. When I checked online a week or so later, the insurance was added. Since I planned to purchase insurance on my own, I simply removed it from my account online. However, this all happened way before final payment.

Good thread for all to read ... a reminder to check your billing details online BEFORE final payment.

I booked over the phone, so no invoice or anything right away. When I checked my documents online...there was the insurance policy. Like I said, it had been included in the price I was quoted (which was a steal anyway) so I just didn't bother looking into it any further. $259 for a 5 day Western Caribbean including insurance? I wasn't going to complain lol.

Did you get a insurance card and policy:confused:

Classic! Someone posts on CC and others use the opportunity to tell them how dumb they are.Veeeery nice

Care to point out where anyone called anyone dumb:confused::rolleyes:

Archived