Cave Tubing For The Water Challenged

PGCRUISERS

DW and I are going to Belize in March and are looking into cave tubing. She is not the best around water based on some passed experiences. On a scale of 1-10, how intense is this? Rapid water, Speed, Submersion, or is it similar to a float on the "Lazy River" at a water park?

DW and I are going to Belize in March and are looking into cave tubing. She is not the best around water based on some passed experiences. On a scale of 1-10, how intense is this? Rapid water, Speed, Submersion, or is it similar to a float on the "Lazy River" at a water park?

Every review, I've read here leans toward floating on a lazy river theme. Most complain about it being too slow. And in the drier seasons, the water may even bee too low so it becomes a fanny bump ride. If the water is too high or flowing too fast, you won't be able to get through the caves. Go have fun, wear water shoes or old woreout running shoes, not flips or good running shoes (they won't be good afterward).

water for the most part is slow and swallow however inside some of the caves the water depth reaches 50 feet or more in depth. There are portions that flow faster then the some other places. If she is afraid of being in the dark and in moving water at the same time id say keep her away. if she is ok with being in pitch dark and floating on a tube at about 3-5mph she will be ok. They do supply life vests

It is similar to a lazy river if the water level is normal. If it has rained the night or day before, the water may be flowing faster and deeper. Both time I have been on the river, we have had to raise our bottoms, to avoid hitting rocks in many places. Our last visit to Belize the company I booked with cancelled due to unsafe conditions (water running to fast) due to rain the night before, it was also raining pretty hard while we were there.

Do wear comfortable shoes as you have to hike from the take out point to the getting in point, so you will be walking and stopping to taste a termite (and yes they taste like mint :-) ). But, obviously they will need to get wet, so I recommend a water/hiking shoe.

water for the most part is slow and swallow however inside some of the caves the water depth reaches 50 feet or more in depth. There are portions that flow faster then the some other places. If she is afraid of being in the dark and in moving water at the same time id say keep her away. if she is ok with being in pitch dark and floating on a tube at about 3-5mph she will be ok. They do supply life vests

Since the caves are big and tons of people in them at one time and teh headlights on each person head Its not dark at all really! Was able to get good pictures in teh caves without flash! not dark! sorry to argue but it really isnt dark with all the headlamp!

Archived