Copenhagen hotels

agelessgram

My husband and I will be cruising in May 2011 RT Copenhagen and after reading the posts decided to come early and enjoy the sights of the city. We would like to stay in a hotel that includes breakfast and will be using the passes for transportation. Our TA has suggested SKT Petree hotel, Radison (4 of them so which one?) and SAS Royal. All suggestions will be very much appreciated. We are seniors so always looking for those senior discounts. Thanks so much.

My husband and I will be cruising in May 2011 RT Copenhagen and after reading the posts decided to come early and enjoy the sights of the city. We would like to stay in a hotel that includes breakfast and will be using the passes for transportation. Our TA has suggested SKT Petree hotel, Radison (4 of them so which one?) and SAS Royal. All suggestions will be very much appreciated. We are seniors so always looking for those senior discounts. Thanks so much.

We stayed there for 4 nights in early July and loved it. The location is excellent - walking distance with wheeled luggage from the station (Tivoli is across from the station) and a water taxi stop at the hotel. I am sure you can probably get a B&B package. Very comfortable and definitely recommended.

We stayed in early July at The Square Hotel that was overlooking their City Hall plaza and within a block of Tivoli. Super location!!! There are lots of hotel options in Copenhagen. It's a great city, especially for walking around. Make sure your hotel is in a good, handy location. Also, make sure you go to Tivoli in the evening in order to see it lighted with all of its charm and great architecture.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

In Copenhagen, we stayed at The Square hotel that overlooks the main plaza in front of their City Hall with its large tower. This picture angle is framed by two statutes in front of this famed civic building.:

CPHtheSquareHotelFront.jpg

Tivoli looks so special at night with its famed building designs, water features, gardens, flowers, rides, people, entertainment, etc.:

TivoliJapHseLake.jpg

Might consider the Hotel Mayfair (stayed there in August, pre-cruise). It's behind the central train station (approx 3 blocks, easy, safe walk). In addition to breakfast they provide a light dinner each night which we took advantage of to hold down some cost. All post about food being expensive in Copenhagen are right on target (unless you can exist on pizza).

Might consider the Hotel Mayfair (stayed there in August, pre-cruise). It's behind the central train station (approx 3 blocks, easy, safe walk). In addition to breakfast they provide a light dinner each night which we took advantage of to hold down some cost. All post about food being expensive in Copenhagen are right on target (unless you can exist on pizza).

how much was the hotel

We stayed in the Hotel Nebo, located directly behind the central train station (2 min. walk), from Sept. 4-7. When we left, the first thing out of my husband's mouth was, "I'd stay there again!" The location is perfect, the desk folks are cheery and helpful, we slept like babies, a NICE breakfast was included in our room price---it was great for us. The doors are thin and noises can be heard, but either most of our neighbors were very thoughtful or we were very tired, but we slept well all three nights. We were in room 431---high up and in the back. We had booked a standard double with bathroom (shower) and breakfast buffet through www.hotel-rates.com. We booked it non-refundable since it was so much cheaper. The price was $100.58/night; with taxes it came to $377.19 for the three nights. Taxes in Denmark are high and inescapable.

The Nebo is a 2-star hotel and doesn't pretend to be anything more, but it is a very nice 2-star hotel. I can still taste the wonderful "chocolate coffee" and the best orange juice of our 2-week trip. The Nebo also has rooms that share the toilets and showers down the hall. These rooms are much cheaper, but the reviews are not always good. Our room was comfortable. There is a good elevator; I have no idea whether there is AC or not since we did not need it.

Paula

We stayed here 3nites, pre cruise. Hotel was extremely clean.Front desk staff and bellhops were very friendly.

Many commented on small elevator, which is true, but only had to go 2 x with our luggage in elevator, so who cares how large elevator is.

Rooms were on the small side, but all Eur. has smaller rooms then in US>

Breakfast buffet was very good-scrambled and soft boiled eggs, sausage, cheeses, fruit, rolls and muffins etc.

THere was free internet in lobby.

Hotel was close to Tivoli and Stroget.

I would definately stay here again

We recently returned from our Baltic cruise, and had stayed at The Square Hotel in Copenhagen, pre-cruise. We found the staff to be helpful and friendly, and the rooms were quiet despite being on the "first" floor (2nd floor on U.S.). I thought it might be noisy, but we couldn't hear any of the street noise.

We had a very comfortable stay, and it was really close to Tivoli and the Stroget. We had a wonderful time and would stay there again. It's in a great location!

Enjoy your trip!

We recently returned from our Baltic cruise, and had stayed at The Square Hotel in Copenhagen, pre-cruise. We found the staff to be helpful and friendly, and the rooms were quiet despite being on the "first" floor (2nd floor on U.S.). I thought it might be noisy, but we couldn't hear any of the street noise. We had a very comfortable stay, and it was really close to Tivoli and the Stroget. We had a wonderful time and would stay there again. It's in a great location!

Glad to hear that you, like us, had a good, recent experience at The Square.

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest.

As someone who requires a/c, my hotel choices appear to be the Square or the Imperial, same ownership I believe. (I prefer to stay more centrally than the Marriott.) I was burned three years ago at the lovely Admiral Hotel (on a land trip with my sister), which was lovely but with temps in the low 80's during the day, I was showering several times per day at that hotel and slept fitfully both nights, although I loved the Nyhavn location and copious breakfast with views.

My memory of Copenhagen assures me that the Square indeed is well located. But I do not remember the Imperial area to the west at all. It seems a bit off central, because I remember the main sights all being on the eastern side of the central island.

Any recommendations between the two? Follow cruiser yorkiemom has chosen the Imperial for more quiet, but I always have earplugs. I just do not have a handle on how really further from the action the Imperial is. Thanks for any help.

Also, any recommendations for a well-located hotel with a/c in Stockholm, where our cruise ends, this time a three-night stay? I stayed at the Scandic Park three years ago, but although nice rooms and great a/c, I was very tired walking to restaurants from there at night from its location at the top of the park.

I can't tell you about the Imperial. I did want to just chime in about the Square. We stayed there for 3 days post cruise and found it to be a really nice hotel. The staff was quite pleasant and the room was very nice. The central location worked out really well. The only downside was the really weird elevator....but maybe that was a European thing. It had a door that opened out in addition to the elevator doors which complicated things when trying to maneuver luggage. Since we were at the Marriott pre-cruise, being more Americanized it didn't have that. We would definitely stay at The Square again.

I can't tell you about the Imperial. I did want to just chime in about the Square. We stayed there for 3 days post cruise and found it to be a really nice hotel. The staff was quite pleasant and the room was very nice. The central location worked out really well. The only downside was the really weird elevator....but maybe that was a European thing. It had a door that opened out in addition to the elevator doors which complicated things when trying to maneuver luggage. Since we were at the Marriott pre-cruise, being more Americanized it didn't have that. We would definitely stay at The Square again.

Good to hear that The Square also worked well for you. For our Cincinnati Pam friend/neighbor, my impressions on the Imperial would be that it's a couple blocks farther away from the central square and Tivoli. The pictures for its rooms and lobby, like with the sister hotel of The Square, look very nice, well detailed, designed with thought, etc. Since their ownership is the same, I think you will find what they show is what they will have in real life. If the pricing is the same, I would go for the little more handy The Square. Both look very good. Their management seems very solid and doing a good job delivering a quality product. Plus, Copenhagen is such a super great city.

As someone who requires a/c, my hotel choices appear to be the Square or the Imperial, same ownership I believe. (I prefer to stay more centrally than the Marriott.) I was burned three years ago at the lovely Admiral Hotel (on a land trip with my sister), which was lovely but with temps in the low 80's during the day, I was showering several times per day at that hotel and slept fitfully both nights, although I loved the Nyhavn location and copious breakfast with views.

My memory of Copenhagen assures me that the Square indeed is well located. But I do not remember the Imperial area to the west at all. It seems a bit off central, because I remember the main sights all being on the eastern side of the central island.

Any recommendations between the two? Follow cruiser yorkiemom has chosen the Imperial for more quiet, but I always have earplugs. I just do not have a handle on how really further from the action the Imperial is. Thanks for any help.

Also, any recommendations for a well-located hotel with a/c in Stockholm, where our cruise ends, this time a three-night stay? I stayed at the Scandic Park three years ago, but although nice rooms and great a/c, I was very tired walking to restaurants from there at night from its location at the top of the park.

Pam,

From what I have been able to find out (I looked on a map, too), the Imperial is only a couple of blocks away from the Square. Not too far for us to walk and as you know several posters complained about the noise from the club next door to the Square, so I decided I would rather walk a couple of blocks and have a quieter hotel.

• 2 weeks later...

Wonder if anyone can help. We have read that these hotels (Mayfair and Hotel 27) include breakfast and light buffet supper. Someone has mentioned staying at the Mayfair - what is included with the supper?

Also does anyone know how close each of these hotels would be to the Tivoli and the Central train station?

Any information and/or recommendations would be welcome. Thanks.

Wonder if anyone can help. We have read that these hotels (Mayfair and Hotel 27) include breakfast and light buffet supper. Someone has mentioned staying at the Mayfair - what is included with the supper? Also does anyone know how close each of these hotels would be to the Tivoli and the Central train station? Any information and/or recommendations would be welcome. Thanks.

If you do a Google.com search of "mayfair hotel copenhagen", it will show you this hotel and its exact location to west of both the train station and Tivoli. In my view, it's not as handy as some other locations, but it can work. Hotel 27 is east of City Hall and Tivoli. This hotel might be a little more "central" for some of the many great things in Copenhagen. Google map is very good in showing these locations, what's nearby, etc.

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 19,900 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

We booked the Hotel Mayfair for a weekend prior to our cruise in June.

For those of you who have been there, how do you get to the port? Is taxi the best way? Or is there public transportation?

Thanks for the info.

For those of you who have been there, how do you get to the port? Is taxi the best way? Or is there public transportation?

If you're going from your hotel to your cruise ship port, WITH LUGGAGE, then yes a cab is probably your best option. Public transit can work, but that luggage makes things challenging. Copenhagen is also super, wonderful for walking around. Things are flat, interesting, with lots to see, etc. Love this great city.

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 19,900 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

If you're going from your hotel to your cruise ship port, WITH LUGGAGE, then yes a cab is probably your best option. Public transit can work, but that luggage makes things challenging. Copenhagen is also super, wonderful for walking around. Things are flat, interesting, with lots to see, etc. Love this great city.

Thanks for the info, that's pretty much what I thought although we try and be frugle so we can travel more.....

I wanted to tell you that I absolutely enjoyed your review!

Thanks for the info, that's pretty much what I thought although we try and be frugle so we can travel more..... I wanted to tell you that I absolutely enjoyed your review!

THANKS for the super nice comments on my review! Below are a few extra visuals from the super great Copenhagen.

On being frugal in Copenhagen and in the many of the large cities in the Baltics, that's challenging. Nothing much is cheap there. Sorry! Norway is even more costly.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Part of the Copenhagen City Hall Tower can be seen with this lake view from within Tivoli.:

TivoliLakeTower.jpg

Here is one of Tivoli’s most unique buildings “showing off” with its covering of spectacular lighting. Thomas Edison would be proud!

TivoliOrientNight.jpg

Copenhagen's historic 1695 Church of Our Saviour is a baroque church with its famous corkscrew spire as seen on the canal tour in the Christanshavns canal area:

CopenSpiralChurch.jpg

Rosenborg Castle in central Copenhagen now holds the Royal treasures. It was originally built in 1606 as a summer palace, expanded and put into its current condition in in 1624. It houses a museum exhibiting the Royal Collections, late 16th to the 19th century. This includes the Crown Jewels and the Danish Crown Regalia:

OldPalace.jpg

On being frugal in Copenhagen and in the many of the large cities in the Baltics, that's challenging. Nothing much is cheap there. Sorry!

Yes, that's what my research is telling me. But I'm looking forward to a weekend in Copenhagen and seeing why the people are the happiest (and most satisfied) in the world! Thanks for sharing the photos.

And maybe I'll have a few coins left for the rest of the vacation :o

I'm planning 3 days in Copenhagen "pre-cruise". I've decided to have 2 bags - smaller carryon for 3 days in CPH and I'm going to store my "cruise bag" at the airport. They will keep bags for up to 72 hours. I plan to go back to the airport on the cruise departure day, retrieve my luggage and use the cruise line provided transportation from the airport to the ship. Using the smaller bag will allow us to use public transporation while we are in CPH. And, I'm getting the 3 days CPH card which includes train from the airport (or metro) and also includes the S-Trains which go all the way to Elsinore (Helsingore). Good luck with your plans. I am really going to also learn to pack light for once - ha!!! I always end up not using about half of what I tote along.

Archived