you won't believe this!

paws43tails

my dd, sil, and grandkids, are sailing for spring break... their docs arrived last weekend and my dd noticed that their last name was misspelled on all 5 of them... she called carnival today to get them to correct the spelling and they told her they wouldn't deal with it because she booked through an online agency, she'd have to notify them... so she did... what she found out was that the online agency had the last name spelled correctly and had forwarded it to carnival correctly (which means carnival messed up the spelling)... so the online ta calls carnival and they tell them it will be a $50 fee to correct the last name spelling and send new docs... the online ta tells them that this was their error and the customer shouldn't have to pay for it... carnival says it costs to change the manifest and the customer will have to pay because the name on the id must match the name on the docs... after 45 min. of haggling carnival dropped the fee to $25. and my dd paid the online ta the $25 to get the change implemented... i'm astounded that this kind of thing could happen with a reservation... the error was made by carnival but the customer has to pay for the damage? what up with this?

Man...that's the second time I've heard that in the past week!!! Carnival must be screwing up big time!!

I have a question...when your TA drew up the papers, did she email your DD the info to look over for mistakes??? That should be mandatory because mistakes can be a problem.

There is no way I'd have paid that money...someone screwed up and she shouldn't have to put out a cent to fix it.

yes, she did check it over... and, when she called today the online ta said that they had the correct spelling and forwarded it on to carnival... and you're right she shouldn't have to pay to fix it, but it was pay or show up at the dock with tickets that don't match their ID and risk the whole cruise... no one wants to start a vacation with that hanging over them... with the new secruity, the names must match the ID

Paws, that must be so annoying. If you don't receive a proper settllement by the time you sail, I would take copies of the paperwork showing that the names were actually submitted properly (will your TA give you their registration?) to the boarding counter . . . . maybe there is a chance you could get an onboard credit to make up the difference.

:(

Sorry Rich, I read the post carefully, and I'm not clear on whether the booked passenger actually got an email from her TA immediately after booking (to check for errors).

Could be a mistake on either end...?

Sorry Rich but as I said it's always easier for the TA to blame Carnival for mistakes than themselves. TA's usually call Carnival to book a cruise they don't 'forward' the information to them. The TA should of sent a confirmation to the cutomer to verify all information was correct and also told them to complete their FunPass which also would of shown the error.

This has always confused me, as soon as I get my booking number, I enter it on the carnival website and it shows all my information. It seems like a misspelling should be easily and quickly corrected within hours of the initial booking.

What am I missing here??

Im also unclear who was in error with entering the information, but it would seem like the TA should make sure that Carnival has the correct spelling/ages of every guest, isnt that the job of the TA??

This has always confused me, as soon as I get my booking number, I enter it on the carnival website and it shows all my information. It seems like a misspelling should be easily and quickly corrected within hours of the initial booking.

You know this is such a simple idea, but I never thought about it. You are so right. That's a reason to do that fun pass right away!

Within minutes of booking (I book online), I receive an e-mail conformation of the booking from my TA. I then immediately go to Carnival's website to confirm and WAHLAH ! its always there on their site and I also do the FUN PASS at that time.

Any errors would show up within minutes of the booking and the e-mail conformation from my online TA would easily show who is at fault if there was an error in the spelling.

IMHO (and I stress its my opinion ONLY), a TA is attempting to pass the buck. On the other side of this problem, I don't understand, if its just a case of a misplaced letter in someone's name why Carnival can't make the changes without charging someone. I would understand completely if it were an altogether different set of names, etc.

Incidentally, if its just one letter misplaced in each passenger's name, I can't imagine Carnival denying passage (or even noticing) over this error. Their logic would have to be: "Let's see, an entire family of terrorists all submitted names with slightly adjusted spelling in an attempt to get by our Homeland Security screening procedures. Now they are boarding with their real names and will, most certainly blow this ship apart at their first opportunity".

Preposterous ! !

On my upcoming Carnival cruise they have me listed as male :( When I called them they told me I had to change it through my TA - when I called the TA they called me back and said it would be okay at the port (Galveston) when I check in (supposedly they'll change it at check in) as long as the name on my ID matches the name on the manifest.

This could be fun....

Archived