Single Supplement from Galveston

ryndam

I would really like to cruise from Galveston. I am not particular about the room type (i.e. inside, outside, balcony), but I am price sensitive. Carnival has a 100% single supplement. I don't have a companion to sail with and at double the cost, there are many other vacation (i.e. land trips) that are way more economical than paying double for a Carnival cruise.

Has anyone had any experience with Carnival where the single supplement was either waived completely? Or lowered to a less usurious amount?

My sail dates are flexible anytime in October or November 2010. Thanks for the advice!

Host Mach, I wish your comment were true, but last week I spoke to both my regular TA and called Carnival reservations twice (just to get two different representatives to make sure the story was consistent). I specifically asked about reduced supplements in the 1A "bunk bed cabins". All three quoted a 100% single supplement in ALL categories, including the 1A category. Even Carnival's online booking tool shows no reduction in any category. Perhaps Carnival changed their policy again. Thanks for the quick reply anyway.

Host Mach, I wish your comment were true, but last week I spoke to both my regular TA and called Carnival reservations twice (just to get two different representatives to make sure the story was consistent). I specifically asked about reduced supplements in the 1A "bunk bed cabins". All three quoted a 100% single supplement in ALL categories, including the 1A category. Even Carnival's online booking tool shows no reduction in any category. Perhaps Carnival changed their policy again. Thanks for the quick reply anyway.

Nothing has changed the supplement is 100% added to the 100% you are already paying.

I'm sorry if I confused you... The single supplement used to be 150% of the single berth rate. That's gone. Now, regardless of category you pay full fare for both berths... that's what I meant.

:)

There are some reduced solo supplements. You could get a balcony for $329, 0% extra on my upcoming 3 day Liberty OTS. Many reduced supplements.

If found, its cheaper to fly to a cruise with a lower supplement then to pay to cruise out of Galveston. I am very sad about this option being taken off the table.

Here are a few with reduced supplements from a TA site where you can click on singles and see the "starting from" price and the amount of the supplement.

3 nights departing January 6, 2011 on

Carnival's Carnival Sensation

Double Occupancy Inside $249

Single Occupancy Inside $368

Single Supplement 48%

4 nights departing January 27, 2011 on

Carnival's Carnival Fascination

Double Occupancy Oceanview $369

Single Occupancy Oceanview $498

Single Supplement 35%

As mentioned no 'deals' for solos on Carnival - used to be only 150% for the 1A cabins but this has since been eliminated so you now pay 200% or double...

There are some deals to be found on other cruiselines as Firefly has noted - I would shop around to get the best deal....

Thank you all for the advice. It's good that Carnival is selling out all their cabins and doesn't need solo travelers. But it's just not a good value anymore when the cost is doubled. There are lots of other alternatives when the prices get into the $200-$250 per day range. No Carnival cruise for me this fall. Thanks again.

Thank you all for the advice. It's good that Carnival is selling out all their cabins and doesn't need solo travelers................

Seems to be a lot of 1As still around at 200% on several of the sailings I searched out. If they were 150% 1As I bet there would not be so many available. I keep looking, hoping there may be a reduction eventually, so far, no luck.

I may try and contact Carnival 2-3 days before a sailing and see what happens. I am not expecting anything, but I'll post and let everyone know the conversation. Seems like there may be quite a few potential single guests that would be interested, were it not for the double price.

I may try and contact Carnival 2-3 days before a sailing and see what happens. I am not expecting anything, but I'll post and let everyone know the conversation. Seems like there may be quite a few potential single guests that would be interested, were it not for the double price.

Save your time and energy, there are TA sites you can click on that will tell you if the supplement went down.

Since the rule change, not one cruise from Galveston that Iv seen had the supplement lowered. From Florida and from Mobile .. but nothing closer.

Archived