Achilleon Palace - Corfu

sjpo

Has anybody visited this palace by simply taking a taxi from the port? Is it far?

Thanks

far from what ?

I would suggest that you google a map to find out where it is and how far it is from your starting point.

I don't know if this price list is accurate but it's probably a good indication. I assume the list is each way.

http://www.ctts.gr/content/view/15/38/lang,en/

Thanks for the link.

Well, far from the port as I posted on my question. I believe there is only one main port for cruise / passenger ships in Corfu. Thus trying to work out if it is feasible to take a taxi from the port to the palace. I have obviously consulted maps but my experience of the Greek islands is that what may look near can be actually only reachable through a long road or vice-versa.

Basically trying to find out if somebody has done it and how much it costs.

But I have also sent a message to the site you kindly suggested.

Has anybody visited this palace by simply taking a taxi from the port? Is it far?

Thanks

We were in Corfu on the NCL Gem in July and did an excursion that included the monastery on the NW side of the island, it was great. My second choice was going to Achilleon Palace.

I believe you could get there by taxi, on the map it appears to be closer to the port than the monastery (it is south of the port/city).

Corfu is great, enjoy.

We hired a taxi along with another couple we met on the pier in Corfu. We wound up hiring him for a half day tour where he dropped us in town around lunch time. We then took a taxi to the ship.

Do not just go to Achilleon Palace. Franky it's a bit disappointing. First off, the building is pretty small and you can only tour a few rooms on the ground floor. While the gardens are beautiful and with some great views, it takes about 30 minutes to see it. This place is NOT like Versailles in France.

So I suggest you also see the Monastery, Paleokastritsa beach, and a few well known view points. The main part of the city is nice as well.

Thanks for the tips. I know the Achilleon is quite small. Want to go there because read about it on several biographies and want to see what is all about.

Unfortunately we will be only four hours in port so time will be short to see much else, but thanks.

We hired a taxi along with another couple we met on the pier in Corfu. We wound up hiring him for a half day tour where he dropped us in town around lunch time. We then took a taxi to the ship.

Do not just go to Achilleon Palace. Franky it's a bit disappointing. First off, the building is pretty small and you can only tour a few rooms on the ground floor. While the gardens are beautiful and with some great views, it takes about 30 minutes to see it. This place is NOT like Versailles in France.

So I suggest you also see the Monastery, Paleokastritsa beach, and a few well known view points. The main part of the city is nice as well.

I have to ditto this opinion about the Achilleon Palace.This was my least favorite place on our cruise.The "palace" is not really a palace at all.Very small and run down.Corfu is a beautiful place with so much more to see. JMO

I have a different view of Achilleon:

LOVED IT!!! :)

Like the OP, I'd read a lot about it -- after visiting Sissy's Summer Palace in Gödöllő (about an hour from Budapest) as well as Schoenbrun in Vienna a few years ago and becoming intrigued by her fascinating story on a river cruise a few years ago.

Although I'm not a fan of ship's tours (as we usually arrange small private excursions or DIY), we took Holland America's 4-hour "Palaces of Corfu" excursion to Achilleon (only $66 person in June of 2009), which included a tour of Mon Repos "Palace" (aka "Villa" -- the birthplace of England's Prince Philip) and a general bus tour of the island with two additional panoramic stops and excellent historical commentary throughout by the local guide. (In the afternoon, we'd planned to go to the beach with roll-call pals.)

As noted by other posters, these two homes are not what most people would consider "palaces" but rather elegant summer villas with lovely gardens and some interesting collections. Sissy's huge statue of Achilles in her garden -- showing her beloved hero in agony from the fatal arrow that is piercing his heel and ending his life -- is quite moving, as are some of the little artifacts of the Empress herself.

I respect the comments of those who were disappointed with it, and I can certainly understand that it might not be that exciting a visit if Sissy's story is not of interest (though the views from both venues are breath-taking -- and we have visited 50+ countries on every continent except Antarctica, so I'm not a novice traveler -- and many on our tour who did NOT know about Sissy prior to the tour also said they enjoyed it).

Bottomline: I'm glad we chose the ship's tour for this half-day with a guide throughout, as the venues are at some distance from the port and on-your-own in a short timeframe you'd miss out on some of the interesting details -- and the port is at some distance from the charming old town area (if you are docked where we were).

I hope to get to see it, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Like most things, different folks have different views.

Best,

Mary-Lou

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Enjoy your short visit to Corfu. DrFun's comments are right on about Achillion. I also expected more but should have Googled it ahead of time. We all enjoyed the views and I, the historical aspect (Austrian born). I think the HAL tour was a bit overstated and wished we had been given a lot more time in Old town, beautiful old church, small streets,shops and Tavernas,etc. instead of majority of time in the "Palace' and quick overlook of the Monastary and Mouse Island. ............

Archived