Carnival Dress Code

buster parry

i specifically identified seabourn et al. as luxury lines, so yes, i know they're far far far above a carnival price. yes, formal nights are normal on cruises closer to carnival's price range such as RC, Princess, etc. i only specifically pointed to the ultra luxury lines as they are at the far other end of the paradigm - older cruisers, and little casual dress at all - "elegant casual" is normal just for walking around the cruise ship, which is a collared shirt, dress pants, and i believe a tie.

i'm not advocating people showing up to formal/elegant night in a greatful dead t-shirt and a "**** you" hat, but appreciate the shift to a more casual style of acceptable dress e.g. the elegant dress code vs. the formal dress code on CCL (the code itself, not necessarily what is passed off as elegant/formal in reality.) and yes, this mirrors what is going on in society as a whole, e.g. "business casual" taking hold in white-shoe law firms.

in summary, i'll be at elegant night without a jacket and tie, but also without jean shorts (which no man should own) and flip-flops. if the gentleman to my left wears a tux, more power to him. if the "sub-human" (to borrow a word from you) to my right is wearing the greatful dead t-shirt and "**** you" hat, i'll roll my eyes and proceed on with my meal, unbothered.

What you are NOT advocating, is exactly what does happen on Carnival on any night including Cruise Elegant night. And Carnival ignores it. And Carnival really only means DINNER, where other mainstream lines expect and recommend the FORMAL NIGHT continue ALL evening, and it most cases, people stay dressed all evening.

And I NEVER called anyone sub-human. It was RUDE, SUB-HUMAN, SLOB. Please be accurate.:p

I understand completely about Elegant night...and I wish I could wear a dress, but I can not. As far as a pantsuit, same thing.

When God made me, I think he baked me too long...my body is not made for dresses. I have flat, big feet, as well as having problems with them. The only thing I can wear is men's sneakers so I can walk with comfort.

I did find a womans pair of dress pants, and a pair of men's shoes (brown to match the pants), and wouldn't you know, the drape of the pant legs did not cover my shoes. So I walk in like Bozo the clown and hurriedly sat down...lol.

But, I DID wear a nice ladies blouse with my jeans (can not find them to fit me either in woman's sizes), on the other nights...even the last Elegant night.

So some people do want to dress up, but can't. If I were turned away, so be it, I'll just go to the Lido and graze there.

I would rather be comfortable at dinner, than to worry about what I look like.

I'm all for doing what you want while on vacation I don't understand why getting dressed up is so offensive to some. Where I live, interns who make no money and have to moonlight as bartenders and wait staff still get dressed to the nines for formal events. If the dress code for the evening is elegant then just put something elegant on or if you won't/can't then go eat somewhere else for the evening and let the grown ups have their evening. :)

I'm all for doing what you want while on vacation I don't understand why getting dressed up is so offensive to some. Where I live, interns who make no money and have to moonlight as bartenders and wait staff still get dressed to the nines for formal events. If the dress code for the evening is elegant then just put something elegant on or if you won't/can't then go eat somewhere else for the evening and let the grown ups have their evening. :)

Ummm, is there something wrong with following Carnival's written dress code?

And, one could say the same to you about your aversion to those who don't like to dress up.

Having said that, I think there is a limit to what is acceptable attire. I just don't understand why people seem think ties, suits, tuxs, are the only acceptable means of nice wear.

and let the grown ups have their evening. :)

This makes more sense now. Thanks.... See my previous post about your so called grown ups dressing up nice.

I would venture to guess grown ups and adults are about the same thing?

On my recent cruise I saw a lot of children dressed appropriately and with better table/group manners then the so called grownups. Im guessing had the children been in burlap sacks they still would have acted better. ;)

On a formal night I would feel underdressed without a tie and jacket. On non-formal nights I have had table mates make comments about me wearing a jacket and tie. Carnival is the Wal-mart of cruise ships, both are used by the wealthy and poor. In my 20s I seldom wore a jacket and tie and would never have spent the money to buy a suit just for a cruise. I could care less if someone wears jeans on formal night or a tux to the pool.

Ummm, is there something wrong with following Carnival's written dress code?

And, one could say the same to you about your aversion to those who don't like to dress up.

Having said that, I think there is a limit to what is acceptable attire. I just don't understand why people seem think ties, suits, tuxs, are the only acceptable means of nice wear.

Ummm, where did I say I have an aversion to those who don't like to dress up? :rolleyes:

Would you show up to a party wearing shorts and a t-shirt if the invitation you RSVPd to said "Elegant Attire"?

This makes more sense now. Thanks.... See my previous post about your so called grown ups dressing up nice.

I would venture to guess grown ups and adults are about the same thing?

On my recent cruise I saw a lot of children dressed appropriately and with better table/group manners then the so called grownups. Im guessing had the children been in burlap sacks they still would have acted better. ;)

I get it... the adults next to you were rude jerks. Not much I can do about that is there? :)

In thinking over the cruises I have taken, I have next to no memory of what anyone wore anyplace with a very few exceptions. The 18-19 year old girl who wore a tiny bikini and very high heals all over the ship every day, a woman who looked as if she had been dressed by Vogue-takes-a-cruise in her blue and anchor themed pants-shoes-shirt-scarf-hat-jacket, and one very very formal and very very low cut dress one night at dinner. Nor do I remember any notably bad behavior in the dining rooms, or anyplace else for that matter (ok-I am leaving out the hairy chest contest). So I am either blind or things were not all that bad. I don't believe I was just terrifically lucky. I remember the dolphins I saw and the flying fish and the sun glinting off the sea. So maybe not getting into a snit about these issues is the key- let them slide by and the momentary bad taste will rapidly disappear.

Nor do I remember any notably bad behavior in the dining rooms, or anyplace else for that matter (ok-I am leaving out the hairy chest contest). So I am either blind or things were not all that bad. I don't believe I was just terrifically lucky. I remember the dolphins I saw and the flying fish and the sun glinting off the sea. So maybe not getting into a snit about these issues is the key- let them slide by and the momentary bad taste will rapidly disappear.

What a great concept - enjoy the cruise and who cares what other people are wearing.

In thinking over the cruises I have taken, I have next to no memory of what anyone wore anyplace with a very few exceptions. The 18-19 year old girl who wore a tiny bikini and very high heals all over the ship every day, a woman who looked as if she had been dressed by Vogue-takes-a-cruise in her blue and anchor themed pants-shoes-shirt-scarf-hat-jacket, and one very very formal and very very low cut dress one night at dinner. Nor do I remember any notably bad behavior in the dining rooms, or anyplace else for that matter (ok-I am leaving out the hairy chest contest). So I am either blind or things were not all that bad. I don't believe I was just terrifically lucky. I remember the dolphins I saw and the flying fish and the sun glinting off the sea. So maybe not getting into a snit about these issues is the key- let them slide by and the momentary bad taste will rapidly disappear.

The only thing I remember is my DD pointing out tons of others wearing flip flops after I told her she couldn't wear hers and pointing out the people in T-Shirts and Jeans at the next table on the second elegant night. They didn't come close to ruining our dinner. Just a point of conversation afterwards as I am a stickler for rules and insist my family follow the dress code as presented by the host of the estabishment we are at.

We do not dress up as much as some...but we do follow the dress code for ship we are sailing on. On Carnival, DD & I will wear cocktail dresses on Elegant nights and I will wear Capris or Sundresses on other nights with DD sticking to longer dress shorts. DH will wear a button down shirt, tie, and dress pants on Elegant nights and either dress pants or long dress shorts with collared shirts on other nights. DS will wear dress pants and a button down shirt on Elegants nights and long dress shorts with collared shirts on other nights. I do remember that most of the passengers on our last Freedom Cruise were dressed similarly to us. A few were dressed up more and a few were dressed up less. I don't pack the formal dresses, suits, or sports coats for Carnival Cruises anymore. It's not required and it helps lighten up the luggage.

This is one of the reason we prefer Carnival to some other lines. I have to beleive that we are the type of people Carnival was targeting when they changed the dress codes. Some don't like the changes but I'm sure there are many more deciding to sail Carnival because of these changes. They are Carnival's target market. Carnival Corp has HAL and Princess for those of you who prefer a more upscale dinning experience.

I get it... the adults next to you were rude jerks. Not much I can do about that is there? :)

WELL DRESSED ones at that. See what I am saying. Dressing up makes no difference in the dining experience.

You cant do much about how other people dress either can you?

All you can do is dress how you feel you should dress. If you feel others around you are dressed in such a way that has impact on your dining experience there are ways of addressing that.

Making a comment of "grown ups" having their evening cause they "dress up" has no bearing on this conversation as grown ups can dress up and not act like grown ups. Kids can dress up and act like grown ups. Grown ups can not dress up and act like grown ups.

Just because you are "older" does not mean you are grown up and have the corner market on acting like an adult and or like an adult should act. Just because you don't dress to the nines does not mean you are not an adult.

(the "you's" above are the you in the collective. The you below is you you.)

or as you like to say "grown up".

On a formal night I would feel underdressed without a tie and jacket. On non-formal nights I have had table mates make comments about me wearing a jacket and tie. Carnival is the Wal-mart of cruise ships, both are used by the wealthy and poor. In my 20s I seldom wore a jacket and tie and would never have spent the money to buy a suit just for a cruise. I could care less if someone wears jeans on formal night or a tux to the pool.

Carnival has not had a formal night in 2 years, you shouldn't feel underdressed.

I don't understand why people have an aversion to dressing up. I feel that you should put on something nice as if you were in a metropolitan city going to a nice restaurant or at least wedding attire. You have all day to wear your crappy clothes and swim suits...as a matter of fact you probably have 360 other days of the year to wear your usual crappy clothes! Make an effort. I am not saying go formal...but all means I don't want to see you in shorts and jeans in the dining room. You aren't eating hamburger and hotdogs...like one poster said, they are planning to eat lobster and steak. I look to this as date night with my husband for a whole week and I like to see him looking nice and he is certainly very complimentary to me when he sees me in something besides the typical jean attire. The last cruise I was on I actually saw someone in a baseball hat and a rude tshirt in the diningroom....where do you draw the line!

While on the Dream in july we saw several people who were turned away from mdr on elegant nights, we were glad to see that, I dont think one needs to wear a tux, but one can do so much better than torn shorts or dirty looking clothes....Hubby likes wearing his tux, but with all the wedding things we had to do for sons wedding, he went with a shirt and tie business look so save some space in packing !

Uh- perhaps the first comment is just a tad overdone. However, the dress code is quite loose for sure. Elegant night can mean nothing, or can mean a long formal dress and tux- people pretty much do as they want. In many ways it has become the night when should you want to dress formally you can and people will understand why you are all dressed up. Many women love to get all dressed up but it is not required. Men wearing a sports jacket, white shirt, and tie and trousers as opposed to jeans will be in the majority- and even the jacket and tie is not required. A collared shirt and trousers will not be out of place. And a simple dress again not out of place. Many here wish that it were different and that people really did continue to come out elegantly, but most don't.

I am pretty sure that wearing nothing would be considered a policy violation.

WELL DRESSED ones at that. See what I am saying. Dressing up makes no difference in the dining experience.

You cant do much about how other people dress either can you?

All you can do is dress how you feel you should dress. If you feel others around you are dressed in such a way that has impact on your dining experience there are ways of addressing that.

Making a comment of "grown ups" having their evening cause they "dress up" has no bearing on this conversation as grown ups can dress up and not act like grown ups. Kids can dress up and act like grown ups. Grown ups can not dress up and act like grown ups.

Just because you are "older" does not mean you are grown up and have the corner market on acting like an adult and or like an adult should act. Just because you don't dress to the nines does not mean you are not an adult.

(the "you's" above are the you in the collective. The you below is you you.)

or as you like to say "grown up".

You seriously need to relax bit. LMFAO!

• 2 weeks later...
I don't understand why people have an aversion to dressing up. I feel that you should put on something nice as if you were in a metropolitan city going to a nice restaurant or at least wedding attire. You have all day to wear your crappy clothes and swim suits...as a matter of fact you probably have 360 other days of the year to wear your usual crappy clothes! Make an effort. I am not saying go formal...but all means I don't want to see you in shorts and jeans in the dining room. You aren't eating hamburger and hotdogs...like one poster said, they are planning to eat lobster and steak. I look to this as date night with my husband for a whole week and I like to see him looking nice and he is certainly very complimentary to me when he sees me in something besides the typical jean attire. The last cruise I was on I actually saw someone in a baseball hat and a rude tshirt in the diningroom....where do you draw the line!

Really?

I have only been on a couple cruises and my wife and I are off to the Bahamas tomorrow. I normally wear the same clothes to diner that I wear to work, khakis and a polo something casual. We tend to not go to the dining room on formal night because unless we are off to church or a funeral or our daughters' graduations we are not normally suit and formal dress kind of people. But I especially avoid it so I dont have to dine with people who look down their noses at others for wearing their "crappy clothes". I chose to worry about me, not you. I would much rather sit and dine with someone in a casual outfit who is genuine then talk to a self important snob in a formal dress. Cruise on!

Just read the dress code (posted above by Lemur Cat) and make your interpretation. You will certainly be as correct as anyone else here. I dress within the dress code as posted by Carnival and don't give a Rat's patoot whether anyone else likes it or not. Carnival says okay, then it's okay.

If you LIKE to dress up and WANT to exceed Carnival's posted dress code, then feel free to do so but you are certainly not obligated to do so.

Although I really would like to see that collard shirt mentioned above....I've never seen one made out of greens before.

I think also a nice Swiss Chard button down could work.....

Okay don't have the patience to read through all the posts on this thread... I have only been on Carnival once, and loved my vacation (going again on the same cruise in t-minus 2 days!)...

that said, on our "elegant" night, my BF wore a nice button down, long sleeved shirt, with black pants and nice shoes. I myself had trendy black calf-length capris, heels, and a sequin top and cardigan. I thin ke looked lovely for "elegant" night, even sans Tux and Evening Gown. This year I am planning to wear a dress, but the moral of the story is - if you look good -DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT... and don't wear jeans... ;):p

In fact, the ship photographer thought we looked "elegant" enough to snap a pic of :):

US.jpg)

Archived