Noordam aft pool - adults only?

decoste45

I have tried a search but haven't had much luck on this question.

Is the aft pool on the Noordam an Adults only pool? We have a young child (3) and I am wondering if we will just be using the main pool or if we will be able to enjoy the aft pool. :confused:

Thank you

I have tried a search but haven't had much luck on this question.

Is the aft pool on the Noordam an Adults only pool? We have a young child (3) and I am wondering if we will just be using the main pool or if we will be able to enjoy the aft pool. :confused:

Thank you

The Aft pool is supposed to be for 18 and above only. Unfortunately, on some of the ships this is not enforced by the crew:( Be forewarned that if you allow your kids to utilize the At Pool, you MAY get some looks or comments from some cruisers....

The Lido Midship Pool is for everyone to include the kids.:)

Joanie

Just off the Noordam. On the first 10 days, with 200 kids on board, the aft pool restriction was not being enforced. The midship pool was a essentially kids only, due to all the splashing, yelling, jumping in, etc.

Kids in the aft pool were well behaved most days, but every once in awhile things got out of control.

As to OP's comment and question, the aft pool is at least 2 feet deeper than midship, so I would think that would be the safer place for your little one. I was surprised at the small kids jumping into the aft pool, which is essentially 5 foot deep to start.

Just out of curiosity, why would you take a picture of the signs at the pools?

Very simply, "a picture is worth a thousand words" is probably why John took it! I have the same shot somewhere in my cruise photos....because the same question has been asked here many times.

Let me add to this discussion. There are times when these rules are enforced and times when they aren't. When there is a sign that states the pools are off limits for children, we listen to it. Then there are times when the signs aren't there and we allow children to swim in the pools. I had the opportunity to ask Capt. Musser about the sign. First this sign can be put up and taken down with the request of the hotel manager. Usually when there is a large amount of children on a sailing, which is usually around holiday, they take the sign down. If a pool is over crowded it leads to injuries. They don't want this to happen so the allow the children to spread between the two pools. The most busiest time for the pool is during lunch when Club HAL lets out. This is between 12:30 and 2:30 when the ship is at see.

However, I disagree about not letting children on the aft pool at all. Children like the views and why shouldn't they see it. Also the Lido pool doesn't allow that much sun and the seats are usually taking by chair hogs early. So I have taking my DD to the aft deck and found some lounge chair and spent some time there. When she went to Club HAL I said there to enjoy it also. IF the sign is up when we go on our cruise I will take my DD to the Lido pool to swim but to sun bathe and relax I will use the aft pool. Also I have to agree with everyone that children shouldn't be in the hot tubs at all. Their bodies can't control their body temperature as good as adults but a lot of parents allow their children to play in them any way. My DD will never go into the hot tubs until she is the correct age. This is one rule of many that she has to follow to enjoy her cruise, because I can make her vacation as miserable as I can if she doesn't follow the rules. Of course it would ruin my vacation but she needs to understand how to act with other people and be a well behaved young girl.

Does the adults only pool apply to all HAL ships? The reason I ask is that when I made our reservation for the Eurodam, I specifically asked if kids where allowed in both pools. The reservation agent said that kids were allowed in both pools. Also, when I look up information on the HAL website, it doesn't say that there is an adult only pool area. Now I'm very confused!!!

Let me add to this discussion. There are times when these rules are enforced and times when they aren't. When there is a sign that states the pools are off limits for children, we listen to it. Then there are times when the signs aren't there and we allow children to swim in the pools. I had the opportunity to ask Capt. Musser about the sign. First this sign can be put up and taken down with the request of the hotel manager. Usually when there is a large amount of children on a sailing, which is usually around holiday, they take the sign down. If a pool is over crowded it leads to injuries. They don't want this to happen so the allow the children to spread between the two pools. The most busiest time for the pool is during lunch when Club HAL lets out. This is between 12:30 and 2:30 when the ship is at see.

Just wanted to confirm this first paragraph in SingleFather's post above. Yes, on certain cruises, such as holiday cruises during school vacation, the aft pool rules can change to accomodate the large numbers of families onboard. The best advice I can give others here is to ascertain for yourselves once onboard what the situation may be on your particular cruise. There will be signage indicating whether the aft pool is completely off-limits to children, or whether children may use the pool under adult supervision.

I agree it is confusing, especially since some of HAL's own advertising indicates that both pools are available to both adults and children. If you doubt my last statement, go to HAL's website, go to "onboard our ships", then click on "activities", then click on "youth programs", and on that page click on "play video". The video shows parents playing with their children in one of the aft pools (the aft pool has no magrodome, and is exposed to the elements. The Lido pool has the retractable roof).

I just wanted to say that you sound like a very good dad, SF. I wish there were more of you. I think it is nice to take them out there for the view, but sorta hard to say to a child, "Oh, you can sit in this chair by the pool, but no, you can't go in it."

I really appreciate knowing that HAL has an adults only pool area as I wouldn't want to be the grinch telling some kid to stop doing cannon balls right next to me, lol.

However, I disagree about not letting children on the aft pool at all. Children like the views and why shouldn't they see it. Also the Lido pool doesn't allow that much sun and the seats are usually taking by chair hogs early. So I have taking my DD to the aft deck and found some lounge chair and spent some time there. When she went to Club HAL I said there to enjoy it also. IF the sign is up when we go on our cruise I will take my DD to the Lido pool to swim but to sun bathe and relax I will use the aft pool. Also I have to agree with everyone that children shouldn't be in the hot tubs at all. Their bodies can't control their body temperature as good as adults but a lot of parents allow their children to play in them any way. My DD will never go into the hot tubs until she is the correct age. This is one rule of many that she has to follow to enjoy her cruise, because I can make her vacation as miserable as I can if she doesn't follow the rules. Of course it would ruin my vacation but she needs to understand how to act with other people and be a well behaved young girl.

SingleFatherofDD, let me start by saying that there appears to be a misunderstanding somewhere along the line....

ALL passengers on the ship are allowed and welcomed into/onto the Aft Lido Deck!!! Does not matter their age!!! No one can or ever should think about keeping a child away from the Lido Aft!!

It is the Lido Aft Pool only that "Normally" is supposed to be off limits to children under 17 or 18 years of age.

Your explanation as to the signage coming down at times makes perfect sense to me. I can now understand why I may see children in the Aft Lido Pool.

Thank you for taking the time to explain it to those if us who did not know the facts.:)

Joanie

You should be able to lounge at the aft pool area and enjoy the view. Then just go to Lido pool to swim and/or cool off. The Lido pool area seems like it gets stuffy and hot, no breeze. I don't blame you at all.

We are B@B, with one week over Thanksgiving. It will be interesting to see how they handle it.

Don't let the rude comments get to you. Enjoy your family time.

Just another point that hasn't been mentioned. The reason I prefer that the 'no children in the aft pool' rule is enforced, is because I like to have a proper swim. Children like to play, and splash around, but not many of the young ones swim lengths. ;)

It's better to have one pool where swimmers stand more chance of being able to do a few lengths ....even if they are short ones in that little pool. I swim twice a week at home, a mile each time, not much chance of doing that in the Lido pool!

Archived