Should I include my dog kennelling cost ... ??

Esha

I think that you can, I didn't include it in mine but when I got the policy it said that it covered kennel, dog sitting costs when delayed returning home. I was happy to hear that as I was worried with the BA strike that my flight was cancelled then I would have to pay more. I insured my trip for a set price, not specifically adding in the kennel cost. I used CCA.

....in the total vacation price when asking for insurance quotes ??

I'm stumped on this one !!

Many thanks,

Esha

Only if the kenneling costs are non refundable.

Example:

You cancel the cruise 5 days prior to travel for a covered reason.

You cancel the kennel, there is no out of pocket expense to you,,, there is no insurance claim for the kennel,,, you paid nothing and lost nothing.

Example:

When reserving the kennel, you had to pay a non-refundable deposit to guarantee your kennel reservation.

You now have a non-refundable expense that you could have insured.

Which situation are you in?

If "1" then don't cover.

If "2" then cover

Oh, what quick responses. I nip out to do an errand and 2 replies. Much appreciated.

klfrodo.....what a simple, easy to read explanation. Fantastic.

Issue resolved.....cruise critic at it's best !!

Thanks to you both,

Esha

Example:

You cancel the kennel, there is no out of pocket expense to you,,, there is no insurance claim for the kennel,,, you paid nothing and lost nothing.

Example:

When reserving the kennel, you had to pay a non-refundable deposit to guarantee your kennel reservation.

If "1" then don't cover.

If "2" then cover

Not necessarily. All plans will spell out what they will reimburse. Here's from a Travelex plan:

"TRIP CANCELLATION

The Company will reimburse You for the following:

Non-refundable cancellation charges imposed by the Travel Suppliers. "

Their definition of Travel Supplier is:

"Travel Supplier: means tour operator, cruise line, hotel, airline, etc., that has made the land and/or sea arrangements."

Would a kennel qualify as a travel supplier? I called them and asked them and no it will not.

By contrast, this is from Travel Guard:

Here's what they'll pay under the trip cancellation benefit:

"Trip Cancellation Benefits: The Insurer will reimburse the Insured for forfeited Trip Cost up to the Maximum Limit shown on the Schedule for Trips that are canceled prior to the scheduled departure for their Trip due to the Unforeseen events shown above."

And here's their definition of Trip Cost:

"Trip Cost" means the dollar amount of Trip payments or deposits reflected on any required enrollment form which are subject to cancellation penalties or restrictions paid by the Insured prior the Insured's Trip Departure Date. Trip Cost will also include the cost of any subsequent pre-paid payments or deposits paid by the Insured for the same Trip, after enrollment for coverage under this plan provided the Insured amends their enrollment form to add such subsequent payments or deposits and pays any required additional plan cost prior to the Insured's Departure Date."

In this case both the description of the benefit and the definition of Trip Cost are written so broadly that they may include non-refundable kennel costs. But I would certainly contact them to get a more clear explanation before I spent any money on additional premiums to get a benefit that might or not might exist.

Some plans do include coverage for additional pet care expenses such as Travel Insured:

"PET CARE

The Company will pay You up to $50 per day up to a maximum of $300 for any one claim to cover additional boarding fees incurred after the first 24 hours of Your delayed return from Your Trip due to in-patient treatment overseas which results in Your pet exceeding a pre-booked period of accommodation within a recognized boarding kennel, cattery, or animal shelter. The Insurer will not pay for the following in addition to the General Exclusions: 1) Claims which are not substantiated by a written report from the boarding kennel, cattery, or animal shelter. 2) Any fees incurred in the first 24 hours or which did not form part of the original pre-booked duration for Your pet."

But note that the only delay that will invoke the coverage has to result from receiving in-patient care during your trip. Simply being hung up somewhere due to an airline strike won't do it.

We were on a hurricane delayed cruise in '05 ("...welcome to day 9 of your 7-day Royal Caribbean cruise..."). My 3 dogs were at the kennel and their boarding for the extra what turned out to be 4 days was not covered by Travelguard. I didn't expect it to be, to be honest w/ you... some on that cruise were upset that their insurance didn't cover the extra bar tab costs and tips onboard (yes, I am serious.....:rolleyes:). We did however get reimbursed for x-tra parking days at port.

Example:

Example:

If "1" then don't cover.

If "2" then cover

OK,,,, I was thinking of the coverage and cancellation pre-cruise. Didn't think the trip delay/ post cruise thing over.

My bad. Sorry if I lead you down the wrong path.

Thank you all for continuing this discussion. I'm in the process of actually thoroughly reading the insurance certificates of coverage (mind numbing).

BUT :

To my total shock.....the definition of "family members" (Travel Safe...whom we have bought from before !) negates all of our family in one fell stroke, since non of them live in the US, Canada or Mexico. I know we are a unique case, being new US citizens, but WOW !! (With Travel Guard's insurance, our families meet their definition).

I'm still reading for dog kennel coverage, and I truly appreciate all your responses.

Esha

Thank you all for continuing this discussion. I'm in the process of actually thoroughly reading the insurance certificates of coverage (mind numbing).

BUT :

To my total shock.....the definition of "family members" (Travel Safe...whom we have bought from before !) negates all of our family in one fell stroke, since non of them live in the US, Canada or Mexico. I know we are a unique case, being new US citizens, but WOW !! (With Travel Guard's insurance, our families meet their definition).

I'm still reading for dog kennel coverage, and I truly appreciate all your responses.

Esha

Travelex has always been the same way. And note that it's where the relative is residing so if you have a family member who is a US citizen but is studying or working abroad he/she is not covered under the family member definition either. I believe all plans underwritten by Nationwide are this way.

BUT :

Esha

Well, at least you didn't learn of the restriction the hard way: during a claim denial.

....in the total vacation price when asking for insurance quotes ??

I'm stumped on this one !!

Many thanks,

Esha

If you have to pay it in advance, and it is non-refundable, then yes. Otherwise no. Same with airline tickets. If you buy refundable tickets, then don't include the cost of the tickets in the cost of the vacation for insurance purposes. If the tickets are non-refundable, then yes, include the cost.

Archived