5D Carnival Elation - Sep 6th-Sep 11th

PinkJellyFish06

We had a really great time on our vacation. I love CruiseCritic and have found a lot of useful information on here, so I hope someone will find some of my information just useful. If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Basic Info

On this vacation was myself (22), my parents (51), and my aunt (49). This is my second cruise, my parent's third, and my aunt's first. We decided to go with Carnival because of the price and because all of our other cruises have been with Carnival. We decided on the Elation because going out of Mobile is the closest option for us and because of the itinerary (5D to Cozumel and Calica).

Driving to Mobile, AL

We live in Atoka, Tennessee, which is about 30 minutes outside of Memphis. We left home around 7:30. We made a few stops along the way : gas stations and we stopped in Hattiesburg, MS. We had lunch there at Crackerbarral, and it was probably the worst one I have ever eaten at. I can't remember exactly what time we made it to Mobile, but I would like to say around 2.

Sorry it is so short for now, but I will upload pictures and finish up later!

Thanks for reading! This was also our first time out of Mobile and on the Elation. Sorry it is taking so long. I uploaded my pictures to a different site and am now trying to figure out how to get them on here. Does anyone know if you can put pictures on here using MobileMe?

Mobile, AL

We had already booked our hotel : Hampton Inn & Suites Mobile/Downtown Historic District. I can not remember the exact price (if you are thinking about staying here, let me know, & I will try to find out how much it was). We choose to pay the extra small amount to leave our car there during the cruise. I highly recommend this hotel! It was very nice and very clean. We had one bedroom with two beds. VERY nice and a lot bigger room than most hotels that I have stayed in. We also had a balcony, which was nice, but no great views. I have read that some people have stayed here and actually had a view of the ship. The hotel had a computer room, fitness area, and a small outside pool. There was also a Quiznos and small area to buy drinks and snacks. They also offered a complimentary breakfast which was ok. Nothing special, but they had a good variety of breakfast foods.

We had planned on going to Wintzell's Oyster House for dinner (because of all the great reviews on here) but ended up going to Ed's Seafood Shed (last minute change, Mom had seen where it was voted greatest seafood for a few years). Ed's was ok. The food wasn't that great, but sitting outside kind of made up for that. They also had a band, so that was a plus. If you go, I would try Wintzell's instead.

View from our balcony

SAM_0011.jpg

SAM_0010.jpg

SAM_0012.jpg

We are staying at the Hampton tomorrow night for the 9/30 ship departure. How far was the port from the hotel? How did you get between the hotel and the port? I want to walk but DH thinks it will be too far with luggage. Did you see the trolley? Would that be an option?

Keep the review coming. We leave tomorrow afternoon driving from Nashville!

Vegasvic : I can't remember exactly how far it was to the terminal from the Hampton. My dad took us to the terminal, dropped us off, went back to the hotel and dropped off the car, then walked back to the terminal. If you have a lot of luggage maybe you would want to try this option. We never seen the trolley. There were a few people there who got on a shuttle service that took you to the terminal but I am not sure how much that cost. The woman at the front desk of the hotel was very helpful and I am sure that you could ask her about it. Also, they gave us a paper that had information about leaving our car there and it also had directions (walking and driving) to the terminal. Hope you have a great trip!

• 2 weeks later...

Monday, September 6th - Embarkation

Woke up early, went downstairs, and had the continental breakfast which was ok. There was a variety of different foods: fruit, yogurt, bacon, sausage, eggs, and even pancakes. We overheard someone talking about a Labor Day parade, so we went & waited outside with everyone. This was the first Labor Day parade I had ever been too, which was pretty cool. We collected lots of candy and beads!

Pictures from the parade.

SAM_0025.jpg

SAM_0026.jpg

SAM_0027.jpg

SAM_0029.jpg

SAM_0030.jpg

After the parade we went to packed up and checked out. Here is our first view of our ship (from the parking lot outside the hotel):

SAM_0038.jpg

My dad dropped us off at the port, then went back to park the car at the hotel. After he walked back we got in line for embarkation. Embarkation wasn't too bad. I am only comparing this to the one other time that I have cruised. I did find that it was easier in Tampa. Also, when we pulled into the port, before getting out of the car, every car had to stop and be circled by a drug dog. This didn't happen in Tampa (my parents have went out of NOLA also, & said this did not happen), not sure if it's something new that is happening everywhere or not.

After getting on board, we walked around a bit then went to the Lido deck for lunch. I believe that we all ate from the grill that day, so it was yummy. (Hamburgers, hotdogs, cheese fries, chicken tenders) These are a few pictures from the Lido deck out by the pool, where we sat at many times during our trip :

SAM_0040.jpg

SAM_0041.jpg

I knew that this boat was going to be a lot different from the first one I was on (The Legend) and I could tell the differences immediately. This ship was a lot smaller, decorations very different, and missing a few things that The Legend had. My parent's had been on The Fantasy, and they said that these two ships were more similar (They are in the same class). My mom decided that she really liked the Elation's decorations (more than both ships that we had been on). I also found a big difference in the quality of food, but more about that later.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't really remember what we did on the first day much, probably just explored the ship. We went to the main dining room for dinner (we had the anytime dining, they seated us right when we got there). That night we went to the Welcome Aboard Show which was just like the one on our last ship. There was also a comedian named Happy Cole. SO funny, I strongly recommend going to see him!

Inside one of the Piano bars.

SAM_0047.jpg

SAM_0048.jpg

In the Atrium.

SAM_0049.jpg

*Note about the stairs in the Atrium*

One night we went there because my aunt was wanting to get her picture taken on the stairs (with her camera). Well it just so happened that we went there on Formal night (there was only one). This night they had camera men set up taking pictures. We were told that we could not take pictures with our own camera by the stairs. She never did get her stair picture : ( So if you do want to take a picture with YOUR personal camera by the stairs, make sure it is not on formal night.

Tuesday, September 7th, First Day at Sea

This day began like almost everyday (except we slept in a little). We went to the Lido deck for breakfast. We never did go to the Main Dining room for breakfast, but we would like to try it on our next cruise. I am not a breakfast person but I do enjoy it on the cruise, mostly because of the fruit and the muffins. Afterwards we sunbathed for awhile. We had great seats for the hairy chest competition, which was hilarious. Afterwards my parents & my aunt stayed on the Lido deck while I went back to the room to watch the new Shrek movie and for a nap. We explored the ship some more that night and went to the shops. I don't think we bought anything that night. I have found that if you wait for the last night, things usually go on sale. We went to the main dining room again for dinner (it was elegant night). This night is the only night we had to wait, and we did not wait for more than 10 minutes. After dinner we went to the Romeo & Juliet bar to wait on the show that we wanted to see later on that night. The band Music Degree was playing and we ended up really liking them (we came back a few times to see them). We had planned on going to the Cole Porter Lounge to see the Adult Comedy show with Happy Cole. The Romeo & Juliet bar was not far from there so we figured that we would just stay there until time for the show. Well after awhile we noticed ALOT of people making their way there and decided to go ahead & go. Good thing we did, I am pretty sure we got the last seats and my dad had to stand. There was auditions for the Carnival Legends act going on so we got to see some of those. Happy Cole was hilarious again that night. After that we went back to our rooms because we had to get up early the next morning for Cozumel!!

Contestants in the Hairy Chest Competition

SAM_0063.jpg

SAM_0065.jpg

Romeo & Juliet Bar with Music Degree

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg117/AshleeKaye06/SAM_0057.jpg[/img]

Archived