Transatlantic versus Repositioning

Kruz Guys

Ignorant question time.....

Is there a difference between a transatlantic cruise and a repositioning cruise between Europe and the U.S.?

Thanks

Stephen

:confused:

Usually they are one and the same, but not always. A transatlantic is simply a cruise that crosses the Atlantic (generally from U.S. to Europe or visa versa). A repositioning cruise is when a ship completes a series of cruises from one region (i.e. Caribbean cruises) and then does a single voyage to another region to start a new series of cruises (i.e. Mediterranean). Most transatlantic cruises are repositioning cruises. Many ships sail in Europe from approximately mid Spring into mid Fall and then do a transatlantic repositioning cruise to do Caribbean (or other) itineraries for the colder months.

However some transatlantics are not repositioning cruises. For example Cunard offers regular transatlantic crossings throughout the year - the ship is not crossing the Atlantic to start a new season in a new region, but simply does regular crossings. Likewise you can have a repositioning cruise that is not a transatlantic (i.e. a ship ending an Alaska season may sail from Vancouver to Miami to do a Caribbean season).

Usually they are one and the same, but not always. A transatlantic is simply a cruise that crosses the Atlantic (generally from U.S. to Europe or visa versa). A repositioning cruise is when a ship completes a series of cruises from one region (i.e. Caribbean cruises) and then does a single voyage to another region to start a new series of cruises (i.e. Mediterranean). Most transatlantic cruises are repositioning cruises. Many ships sail in Europe from approximately mid Spring into mid Fall and then do a transatlantic repositioning cruise to do Caribbean (or other) itineraries for the colder months.

However some transatlantics are not repositioning cruises. For example Cunard offers regular transatlantic crossings throughout the year - the ship is not crossing the Atlantic to start a new season in a new region, but simply does regular crossings. Likewise you can have a repositioning cruise that is not a transatlantic (i.e. a ship ending an Alaska season may sail from Vancouver to Miami to do a Caribbean season).

Thanks for the information and clarification. Just starting to think about booking a T/A and am not sure about having so many days at sea. The boards seem to be very positive about how relaxing those sea days are.

Thanks again for your reply. :) :D ;)

If you've never done a cruise, I would suggest not taking a trans Atlantic until you're sure you like cruising. Nothing like being in the middle of the ocean and realizing you hate cruising. Some love the long sea days and some really, really hate them and prefer to have lots of ports.

[from what i have read transatlantic is a repositioning cruise from one country to another. vry few ports and lots of sea days. reposioning cruise is just a move from seasonal ports with a mix of port days and sea days. repositioning cheaper per day. we are going on the ncl spirit 10/23/10-11/7/10 and got a great deal for 2 people balcony for 2800 total. this was through cruise compete but ncl is now not allowing competetive quotes. got deal before new rule...

Is there a difference between a transatlantic cruise and a repositioning cruise between Europe and the U.S.?

Thanks

Stephen

Ignorant question time.....

Thanks

Stephen

Heed Kitty's advice.

Repositioning cruises offer the lowest prices in the industry, and usually include several ports at one or both ends. But lots of sea-days in one block.

If you find that you don't like cruising, a port-intensive itinerary means you'll still have a great vacation :) wheras a T/A repositioning cruise, possibly in adverse weather, could wreck your vacation.:eek:

John Bull

I agree with everyone else. If you are thinking of taking a transatlantic be sure to check the number of days at sea. Cruises, to me, are really no fun if you don't stop at several ports. I've been on a few reposition cruises and most have several ports they stop. For instance, we took a reposition from the caribbean to New York City. Started in Puerto Rico and ended in NYC. Very nice cruise, several port including Bermuda and then cruising into NYC past the Statue of Liberty.

Sea conditions on transatlantic voyages can very depending on the time of year. You may find yourself in some very rough waters. Just keep this in mind.

Good luck picking the right one. Have fun :)

Smart-Travelers

http://www.*****

Archived