Cruise Insurance

DDFla

I am not concerned where we end up going once I get on the ship, and I know how Carnival gets you home if the Port closes while you are cruising. Question, What happens if the Port closes so you can't embark? This answer would be the biggest factor in deciding whether or not to purchase cruise insurance. Do you just get a last minute notification, "If you still want to go, now you have to catch up to the ship in......"?

When the river closed, they moved the ship from New Orleans to Mobile and bussed them for a while, and then I heard only those who were flying in. The rest were on their own.

I guess what you are referring to is when Galveston got hit and they dropped us in new orleans and I got a rental car to get home... it could be the opposite, you would have to go to another port if the ship was diverted. In our case, within 24 hours after we debarked, they got permission to go to Houston, so folks didnt have too far to drive after all.

I heard too, that if the river closed due to the oil spill they were considering moving the ship to Texas.

I really wouldnt worry. At worst your port will be a state or so over.. they wouldnt expect you to fly to a foreign country, even if the jones act would be satisfied.

A rental car is probably less than $100. I wouldnt worry about insuring for that.

We are retired. We buy cruise insurance to cover medical emergencies and evacuation costs. Cancellation coverage, lost luggage, things like that are a bonus. We have not used the insurance as yet, but we cannot afford to risk going without. A wide variety of policies at various price points are available at the web site mentioned earlier in this thread. You can find something that meets your needs and your budget.

Doc

I am not concerned where we end up going once I get on the ship, and I know how Carnival gets you home if the Port closes while you are cruising. Question, What happens if the Port closes so you can't embark? This answer would be the biggest factor in deciding whether or not to purchase cruise insurance. Do you just get a last minute notification, "If you still want to go, now you have to catch up to the ship in......"?

Trip delay.....yes insurance does cover this......don't expect Carnival to pay for it......

We sail in 10 days and I just bought trip insurance today. I couldn't take the anxiety of not having it. Anything can happen. I would hate to be out of my trip and my money. Whew.................I feel much better now. ;)

What are y'all holding in your avatar pic? i wish there were a way to enlarge it so I didnt have to squint to see what you're holding! :-)

A bus travelling 60 mph can get from Port Canaveral to Miami much faster than a ship traveling 20 knots. If. for instance, a hurricane is about to hit Port Canaveral, closing the port, and a decision is made to depart from Miami (an extreme rarity) the cruise line will get you to the new port of departure. This is really not a reason to get travel insuance. It is a good reason to keep your eye on the weather for a week or so before your cruise.

You don't just buy trip insurance to cover a port closing. You buy it to cover health issues -- preexisting or sudden, either yours or in your immediate family (that you might have to fly home to tend to them, for example); for airport delays or cancellations; for medical evacuations and/or treatment should you become sick on board, or in a foreign port, emergencies at home that require your presence (burglary, house fire, house flood), etc.

We're holding tickets to the Steelers season opener last year against the Titans!! LOL My first steelers game. Had a blast!!

oooooohhhhhhh LOL

I wish you knew how long I stared at that pic trying to figure it out !

Kept thinking it was "cruise related!"

Archived