Hotel / Appt for Family of 4 in Rome

SelectSys

I am looking for some recommendations in a reasonable neighborhood with decent access to public transportations for day trips. It would be great if the area had some amount of nightlife within walking distance. We will be staying 5 nights prior to a cruise. My only previous experience in Rome was on a day trip on a previous cruise so I really don't know too much the various city neighborhoods at all. Thanks to all!

Hotels are a little harder to find that sleep 4, but the VRBO site that you quoted is Vacation Rentals By owner. Lots of apartments that sleep 4. We stayed at the hotel from my post above last time, this time we are 6 people travelling and are renting an apartment.

I am looking for some recommendations in a reasonable neighborhood with decent access to public transportations for day trips. It would be great if the area had some amount of nightlife within walking distance. We will be staying 5 nights prior to a cruise. My only previous experience in Rome was on a day trip on a previous cruise so I really don't know too much the various city neighborhoods at all. Thanks to all!

A couple other sites to check are:

homeaway.com

freereservation.com

venere.com

booking.com

We rented from freereservation.com when we went to rome 2 years ago. It was really small but only 2 of us. We stayed in the piazza navona area which was a great place to be and walked to everything. do your homework when looking, meaning what floor is apartment on and how many stairs to climb, or is there a lift? how many bathrooms, is there only bath tub or only shower or both? what kind of beds? i know it sounds crazy but europe is a lot different than here in the states. do you pay for linens or do they come with apartment? do they take a credit card or only want cash upon arrival and if security deposit? keep in contact with whoever you rent from and you shouldn't have a problem. after all is said and done have a wonderful time and enjoy.

Thanks, I will look at this site. Any feeling for how likely it is that we can get a room in a hotel that sleeps 4? It seems very tough to do in Rome.

Another great site I use for hotels is http://www.hotelscomparison.com. You can specify the dates and number of persons, i.e. Quad.

I did a rough search around April for 5 days and found some great deals.

We have booked many times using VRBO.com and had no problems. You will have lots of luck with the number of nights you are looking into. Another site you may try is romesweethome.com quite a few have used this one. It easy to specify what area you are looking for. We just entered Navona and the dates and came up with a great list. Also, picking an area such as Navona you are walking distance to most everything and don't have to contend with buses or taxis.

I appreciate the information!

We stayed here and enjoyed it.

http://www.hoteltrastevere.net/

It is in Trastevere, great neighbourhood with lots to see and plenty of places to eat.

Thanks, something like this might work. Would my 6'4" son fit on the single bed?

Another great site I use for hotels is www.hotelscomparison.com. You can specify the dates and number of persons, i.e. Quad.

I did a rough search around April for 5 days and found some great deals.

Thanks, I'll look at this one as well. Unfortunately we are traveling peak season when school is out of session. Not as likely to find such a great deal.

Friends of ours have used the homeaway site several times over the years in various countries and have always been happy.

You can also go to tripadvisor and look up Rome. They now have a vacation villas section with some great options.

Yep, I already started down the tripadivsor path a bit. I started scanning hotels recommended for families.

www.hotelscomparison.com is a very good site! One last thing - what are some neighborhoods worth looking at? I really don't know Rome at all other than as a stop on a med cruise.

I was interested in Navona when I booked, it's walking distance to every site we are taking in. Another close by is Campo di fiore also Trastevere. Not sure if I spelled them correctly, haven't had coffee yet:eek:. If you sign onto VRBO.com, chose Italy, then Rome area, this will bring up a map and you can check the areas. It allows you to apply area, number of rooms, etc. Also gives pictures of the place to help you decide. Good luck.

Any feeling for how likely it is that we can get a room in a hotel that sleeps 4? It seems very tough to do in Rome.

We just booked a hotel room in Rome, for four. All in one room.

It is called Best Western Hotel Canada.

Gets great reviews on TripAdvisor.

Free [also highly reviewed] breakfast, too.

Not your typical North American BW.

We just booked a hotel room in Rome' date=' for four. All in one room.

It is called Best Western Hotel Canada.

Gets great reviews on TripAdvisor.

Free [also highly reviewed'] breakfast, too.

Not your typical North American BW.

I typed the name into Google and saw that it is right on the Metro which is a plus. BTW - What does "not your typical North American" really mean?

I typed the name into Google and saw that it is right on the Metro which is a plus. BTW - What does "not your typical North American" really mean?

It is like a boutique hotel.

The building was built in the 1800's.

Not like a Howard Johnson, Comfort Inn, etc.... that we would see here in the USA.

It is like a boutique hotel.

The building was built in the 1800's.

Not like a Howard Johnson' date=' Comfort Inn, etc.... that we would see here in the USA.[/quote']

OK

Looks very good from the reviews. This looks like another good possibility. I really like the idea of being close to the metro. In addition to having great access to the city, it would also be easy to get on the train and head for the port on the morning of our cruise.

I would rethink the BW Hotel Canada. Being near a metro station isn't all that much of a benefit for the typical tourist in Rome, as many of the sites are not served by the metro. This hotel is outside of the historical center of Rome, in more of what I would call a busines and government area.

If you decide to stay with this hotel, I'd think about either walking there when you arrive at Termini from Venice (on foot it's about a third of a mile) or a cab (by car it's about a half mile, because of one way streets). The aggravation and inconvenience of getting to the metro station and back up at the other end with luggage simply isn't worth it for such a small distance.

I would rethink the BW Hotel Canada. Being near a metro station isn't all that much of a benefit for the typical tourist in Rome, as many of the sites are not served by the metro. This hotel is outside of the historical center of Rome, in more of what I would call a busines and government area.

If you decide to stay with this hotel, I'd think about either walking there when you arrive at Termini from Venice (on foot it's about a third of a mile) or a cab (by car it's about a half mile, because of one way streets). The aggravation and inconvenience of getting to the metro station and back up at the other end with luggage simply isn't worth it for such a small distance.

The REALLY big draw for this hotel, and my family....

is that we can put four of us in one room,

in a hotel that is getting very good reviews,

and the price is not hundreds of dollars per night, per room! :eek:

x several nights = a hefty price tag.

My family will be taking private transportation from the airport to the hotel.

Looking at the metro map,

and the locations where our tours are meeting up in Rome,

it looks very easy to navigate,

and I am excited about that!

OK

Looks very good from the reviews. This looks like another good possibility. I really like the idea of being close to the metro. In addition to having great access to the city, it would also be easy to get on the train and head for the port on the morning of our cruise.

If there are people on your Roll Call that are also staying at the same hotel,

you might consider sharing a private transportation to the ship.

With 8 people, it comes to 25 euros pp.

Archived