To think about, before you go.

I'm with you on the "packing light," but our snorkel gear bogs us down. Packing light really paid off when my luggage was stolen in Hawaii (someone stole the rental car with all my stuff from a beach parking lot). Shoes lost: one pair. Earrings lost: one pair. Tubes of lipsticks lost: 2, and oh boy was I ticked off because I couldn't decide which one to pack and had thought, "oh what the heck, they don't take up much room."

• 3 weeks later...
I'm with you on the "packing light," but our snorkel gear bogs us down.

Since most snorkeling involves using the services of a tour that includes snorkel gear I bring my snorkel and mask and use their fins.

I've seen the gear from tours "sanitized" by swishing through a tub of seawater. I don't want anything like that in my mouth. And the "free" ones that some tours use are just plain cheap quality that limit the enjoyment of the experience.

I prefer my own mask so I bring that too. They fit in my personal item bag.

But the flippers are no more risk than trying on a pair of shoes in the mall shoe store - and save tons of room in the luggage.

I use my snorkel and mask for swimming laps, too. My COPD lung condition almost had me stop swimming for exercise before I realized that I do fine breathing while snorkeling...I'll be the one in the pool with my snorkel!

I am LOL!

I travel weekly. I have cruised several times

I have NEVER washed the door handles etc... can't recall the last time I was sick either.

You do realize that your IMMUNE system is developed by exposure????

Somethings can be taken to the extreme!

I'm working on getting 3 people packed into ONE large suitcase for our upcoming 7 day cruise. I use Kleinart's disposable dress shields in all of my tops so I can take the shield out and recycle the top another day. Works for day wear and evening wear for dinner. Also a minmun of shoes. Sneakers, crocs that double as water shoes, and sandles that double for evening.

A couple of concerns

1. It's VERY easy to go overweight on the large suitcase. Overweight fees are often higher then the extra luggage fee on most airlines

2. If it's lost...OH NO! It's better to disperse between two smaller suitcases :)

Make a copy of your passport. Carry this when you are in port - leave your real one in your cabin safe. My husband wore a money belt with his sea pass, copy of passport, a credit card and euros in it. In my pocket - copy of my passport, sea pass card, lip gloss and two kleenex. That's it! I think it's best if you can do without your purse ladies. We knew at least two who lost $$, time, or wallet by losing track of their purses.

almost forgot that one!!! thanks, i have it now!!!

I have been told to make these coloured copies and you will have less problems being issued a duplicate...a G/F's daughter lost her passport in Europe and was told because she had a coloured copy ...they were able to replace it asap..otherwise could take up to a week or longer...maybe not an issue if you have the original in ship safe...but I always keep coloured copies with us.

Bonjour Katiecat,

To answer your question regarding how to fit warmer clothes when packing light -- my solution is that I wear ``all`` of my warmer clothes on the plane as it is usually cool on flights anyways. So I will wear layers: a short sleeve shirt, topped with a long sleeve shirt, topped with a sweater, topped with a light jacket! It saves a bit of space in my luggage and during the trip I have a long sleeve, a sweater or a light jacket to choose from and if it gets really cool I`ll wear the three together;)!

We too travel carry-on only. I also wear my wam clothes and heavy shoes on the plane. When on a 14 day Eastern Med cruise, I found that a collection of long and sleeve shirts (can be layered if needed), a good fleece jacket, a quilted vest and a super thing waterproof windbreaker worked really well. I did not wear all of this on the airplane;) I did find that I could layer according to the weather for each port.

I have been told to make these coloured copies and you will have less problems being issued a duplicate...a G/F's daughter lost her passport in Europe and was told because she had a coloured copy ...they were able to replace it asap..otherwise could take up to a week or longer...maybe not an issue if you have the original in ship safe...but I always keep coloured copies with us.

It is also a good idea to e-mail copies of your docs and important info to yourself. This way if copies are also lost, you can access them on the ship or in port.

Happy traveling.

• 3 weeks later...

On another thread, there was a discussion about the differences between a passport book vs. the passport card in the event that something happened in port and you needed to be transported to the next port or back to the USA. The consensus was that the passport book was needed to prevent delays for that type of transport.

If you only have a good color copy of the passport while in port, how would that affect need for emergency transportation back to the USA if you were not able to get back to the ship before it left port? Wouldn't you want to have the passport on you while in port?

• 3 weeks later...

My DH & I will be doing our first TA out of Barcelona in Oct and am working even now on how to get by will less clothes & suitcases. We will be gone 21 days. This will be our 5th cruise total, and figuring in our evening and daily attire will be a challange, any recommended tips here.

1. It's VERY easy to go overweight on the large suitcase. Overweight fees are often higher then the extra luggage fee on most airllines

That is so true. Just flew out west, baggage fee was $25.00 per bag, overweight fee for 4 lbs over was $90.00!!!! They let us pull the bag and start tossing stuff in the garbage, thank goodness.

• 6 months later...

on our last cruise we were busted with a supersize suitcase and it did not wt >50 lbs when it left home, but on the trip back it had gained a little weight, so we had to shift a few things around to other bags right there at the flight counter...embarassing:o...so from then on I vowed never to overpack again. This time I'm sticking to a 28" roller bag and a nice size carryon. Of course my 'purse' is the size of a small tote bag...so I can take that as well.

those 28" bags fill up with weight fast...so much room left over but they are over-weight--we quit carrying that size- 25" and under they do hold alot and dont get over-weight (always have a travel scale with you and allow at least 2 lbs as most of the time the airplane scales are more)...we stop at 48 lbs and we know we wont be over.

my lingere takes up no space so none of that ever gets tossed...

for now i will never be a carry-on type of packer, but thats OKAY cos it WORKS for me!!--i just figure in the baggage cost as part of my ticket cost!

I did the carry on thing for a 4 day weekend in disneyworld. I packed and repacked like crazy. ultimately, I regretted it. we had 2 carryons each (dh, myself, and our kids 9 and 8)...a small backpack/handbag and a roller. it all got heavy and annoying to carry through the airport.

our next trip, we ended up doing the same - 2 carry ons each plus one large suitcase for a 10 night trip to disney. for the trip home, i overpacked our big suitcase (tried to trim off one carry-on)and it was overweight when I checked it in. ended up with a super heavy carry on plus one extra checked bag (i carry additional empty bags for emergencies like this). plus this took 2 repacks so time consuming and embarrassing.

honestly, it wasn;t worth the stress. next time, I'm bringing 1-2 big suitcases, pack them so they're not stuffed to the gills and just relax abt the packing. it will also be much more pleasant in the airport not being loaded down with carry ons.

• 5 months later...

My husband and I have managed two week vacations with just one carry-on suitcase and our 'personal' bag (I use a tote and he uses a small backpack). We've missed airline connections because our luggage couldn't get checked in time for an overseas flight so the carry-on plan prevents that. This is easy with a beach vacation but I'm not sure I could manage if we traveled somewhere with cooler climate. I must say, though, that last year I still came home with a couple of items I never wore.

We also have scanned a copy of our passports and emailed that to ourselves. We can always access that email anywhere there is an internet connection. Of course, we have color copies with us on the trip as well. We also leave color copies of the passports at home with a copy of our itinerary so our family has that available in the event of an emergency.

• 1 month later...

I take 2 pairs of pants: black cotton for the evening & a pair of quick dry cargo pants.

I also take 3 pair of quick dry underwear and 2 quick dry shirts for the day time.

Tilley products are expensive so I usually go to Mountain Equipment Co-op for these items:

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/MensClothing.jsp?ref=icontext

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/MensClothing/BaseLayerUnderwear/LightweightSilk/PRD~5020-387/mec-t1-classic-briefs-mens.jsp

Flying down I wear items I intend on throwing away.

For washing these are useful:

http://www.magellans.com/store/Clothing___Clothing_CareTL787

Travel sized Lysol spray is a must! I spray everything in our cabin before we do anything.. Not saying its dirty, I'm just that way!

Gotta have it! I just looked at my 21" suitcase and I don't know:confused:, it sure looks small:p:).

It's still the 3 pair of shoes that are going to get me - a pair of walking shoes (worn on the plane), a pair of summer sandals and a pair of evening heels....it isn't often I pack 2 pair. Those alone could take up at least a quarter of my carry-on.

Am I the only one who doesn't want to skimp and feel deprived on my vacation? I know I could do without a second dress (just wear the same thing to dinner and dancing each night) or without that extra sweater for cool nights and just stuff myself into layers, but I don't really want to. After all, I'm paying several thousand dollars for a vacation - is the angst of worrying about something spilled on my only "dressy" dress worth the 25 bucks the airline will charge me for a checked bag?

After all, I'm paying several thousand dollars for a vacation - is the angst of worrying about something spilled on my only "dressy" dress worth the 25 bucks the airline will charge me for a checked bag?

I look at it the exact opposite way. I've had too many bags delayed, or know people whose bags never showed up at all, or got rained on owhile the airline had them sitting on the tarmac.

Knowing where my bag is and that nothing is going to disappear out of it or be broken is worth a TON to me. I get disturbed when my bag flies without me (well...maybe that was because all of the rum was in it. And I should have been worried in that case).

I'd rather know that when I get to the hotel Saturday night, everything will be in its place and if things go seriously wrong, I can walk to the ship if I have to!

It's still the 3 pair of shoes that are going to get me - a pair of walking shoes (worn on the plane), a pair of summer sandals and a pair of evening heels....it isn't often I pack 2 pair. Those alone could take up at least a quarter of my carry-on.

Am I the only one who doesn't want to skimp and feel deprived on my vacation? I know I could do without a second dress (just wear the same thing to dinner and dancing each night) or without that extra sweater for cool nights and just stuff myself into layers, but I don't really want to. After all, I'm paying several thousand dollars for a vacation - is the angst of worrying about something spilled on my only "dressy" dress worth the 25 bucks the airline will charge me for a checked bag?

I agree with you....

I look at it the exact opposite way. I've had too many bags delayed, or know people whose bags never showed up at all, or got rained on owhile the airline had them sitting on the tarmac.

Knowing where my bag is and that nothing is going to disappear out of it or be broken is worth a TON to me. I get disturbed when my bag flies without me (well...maybe that was because all of the rum was in it. And I should have been worried in that case).

I'd rather know that when I get to the hotel Saturday night, everything will be in its place and if things go seriously wrong, I can walk to the ship if I have to!

And I agree with you too!

We both use backpacks and carry-ons which are full. We also use one large checked bag. We make sure that the carry-ons contain enough clothes to get us through a few days of our trip and the bare essentials of toiletries for the entire trip. We can always do laundry if we need to. We use the checked bags for things that we could get by without if for some reason it goes missing. Clothes for formal night, second bathing suits, second light sweater, "extra" shoes, snorkel stuff, etc. Our trips are usually eight-nine days total (we spend time before and after in the departure port) so it would be difficult for us (ok, me) to get everything in a carry-on. I greatly admire people that can!

Also, we use the Delta credit card which means we each get one free bag when we fly with them. DBF usually checks his coming back so he doesn't have to deal with it on the plane.

Returned from my cruise a short while ago. I actually managed to underpack.

I had my family of 4 (kids are 10 & 9 and so their stuff is bigger) in 1 rolling carry on plus 2 checked bags (both large). I thought I was doing pretty good. This was a 10 day trip with several days pre and post cruise.

I packed a ton of dinner clothes and didn't really need to do that. That said, I decided I wanted to and I was happy I did. But like others said, you can re-wear a dinner outfit at least twice with no problems. We didn't - we had a new outfit each night. My DD's dresses took up a ton of space because at least 2 of them were poufy.

I did NOT pack enough daytime clothes. I packed about 5 outfits for a 5 day cruise plus pre and post. We had to rewear some stuff up to 3 times. I ended up washing some stuff in the sink. We did OK, but sometimes felt a bit gross wearing dirty clothes so many times. It's warm and if you wear something long enough to sweat, etc - I like to have it washed before we wear it again. It wouldn't have taken much extra space to add a couple of outfits more and I regret not doing that.

I find everytime I pack extra extra light (i,e, JUST the amt I think we'll need), we run short. I did that on a weekend trip last year and after that always packed ONE extra outfit. I didn't for the cruise because I kept reading so much advice to not overpack.

Archived