Changing airlines at JFK for eurpoe flight

tdcjerry

That seems to be the answer, and that's what I'll be doing.

Just curious why you would book AA/BA as two separate tickets. BA from the USA until the new agreement has almost always been higher priced than an AA flight connecting to a BA flight in LHR to the Continent. Just curious.

Just curious why you would book AA/BA as two separate tickets. BA from the USA until the new agreement has almost always been higher priced than an AA flight connecting to a BA flight in LHR to the Continent. Just curious.

I used points for AA and used a travel site for BA, we paid $960 total for 2 one way tickets to Venice.BA wanted over $1400 pp for the same flight.

I also found out that on our second leg JFK to LHN has a $50 fee for the 3rd bag, the first two are free.
I'm not actually entirely sure that's correct. For a journey from JFK to VCE (via LHR) on BA, I would have thought that "All other international flights" applies in this table on the BA website. That says that you can get the fee down to $48 if you prepay it online, but it would be $60 if paid at the airport.

It looks like it would be $50 if they were AA flights, but they're not. I wonder whether that's where the agent got confused.

Of course, there's no guarantee that the check-in agent won't get equally confused if you try to pay at the airport!

BTW, the code for Heathrow is actually LHR. You don't want to be going to Lishan in Taiwan by accident.

Just when everything was looking good, I called BA on the luggage issue and was told we need to pick up our bags in London and re-check in at BA, this will be fun, I will post later what we had to do.

There would be no reason for you to need to recheck your bags at LHR. Perhaps they misunderstood your question. If you had to recheck, the only place would be at JFK. As long as your bags are tagged to NBO they will transfer at LHR no problem.

Sorry I only have the cruise on my mind, it is JFK when we change airlines from AA to BA that we will re-check in. I do have all our boarding passes printed LAX to JFK to LHR to VCE it's just the luggage.
Asking BA about this is asking the wrong airline. The question of whether the bags will be through-tagged from LAX to VCE if you are travelling on two separate tickets is a matter for AA's policies and procedures.

If you are flying JFK-LHR on BA and connecting straight on to LHR-VCE on BA, you will absolutely 100% not have to collect and re-check at LHR so long as the bag is tagged through to VCE. BA will do this as this is all on one ticket; BA would do it even if JFK-LHR and LHR-VCE were on two separate tickets.

Did I just say re-check the luggage again? I should have said NY again. So we have been in Venice a couple of days with all our bags, they all made here with us, thank you everyone for your help.

It helps to ask and call, most of the time.

Archived