Changing airlines at JFK for eurpoe flight

tdcjerry

We are flying from LAX to JFK on American and changing over to British airways for our flight to Venice, the question is do we need to pick our bags from our first flight and take them to BA ? Or will American transfer or bags? ( they are sister companies ). I'm thinking because of passports and stuff we would need to move our own bags, but it would be nice if it was done for us. I also do not want to get to Venice with our bags sitting in New York. Has anyone had their bags moved from one airline to another?

We are flying from LAX to JFK on American and changing over to British airways for our flight to Venice, the question is do we need to pick our bags from our first flight and take them to BA ? Or will American transfer or bags? ( they are sister companies ). I'm thinking because of passports and stuff we would need to move our own bags, but it would be nice if it was done for us. I also do not want to get to Venice with our bags sitting in New York. Has anyone had their bags moved from one airline to another?

No, you won't have to. Check them in at home and, hopefully, you will retrieve them in Venice. Because it is an international flight, you get a bag each free. I still carry a couple of days of clothes for each of us in two

On your return, you will have to retrieve your baggage in NY or wherever you fly into the US, take them through customs and recheck them to wherever you are going if it isn't your home airport that you landed at. You do not have to go into the terminal to do that, they have a place set up past customs to recheck luggage. Again, you won't have to pay baggage fees.

If you are changing planes in London or elsewhere in Europe for a direct flight home, be aware that their carry-on "box" is smaller than ours are. Even though our carry-on was within the parameters of measurements on their web site (British Air) it wouldn't fit in the box and they made us check it. Mercifully, we were not charged but I made sure I had a smaller carry-on the next time.

Tucker in Texas

We are flying from LAX to JFK on American and changing over to British airways for our flight to Venice, the question is do we need to pick our bags from our first flight and take them to BA ?
In addition to the great advice given by Tucker in Texas, I would just add this:

If you are flying from Heathrow to Venice, then the same applies at Heathrow. Your bags should be through-tagged all the way to Venice, and you do not have to do anything about them at Heathrow. Simply follow the purple signs for Flight Connections Terminal 5. If you arrive at the T5 satellite building, you will see a display board shortly after disembarking the aircraft; if your onward flight is listed on there you can clear security at the satellite without having to go to the main terminal. If it isn't, then follow the signs down to the transit which will take you to the main terminal. You will clear security there (also if you have arrived at the main terminal).

You must clear security at Heathrow because you have arrived in the UK from overseas, and the 100 ml liquids restriction applies at this point. You do not need to clear immigration or customs.

If you are flying to Heathrow, but your London-Venice flight departs from Gatwick, then the above does not apply. In this event your bags will only be tagged to Heathrow. You then have to clear immigration, collect your bags and clear customs before making your way to Gatwick.

Post again if you need more information about this.

If you are changing planes in London or elsewhere in Europe for a direct flight home, be aware that their carry-on "box" is smaller than ours are.
I'm not sure that this is true any longer.

The BA maximum size is 56cm x 45cm x 25cm (22in x 18in x 10in).

The AA maximum size is 56cm x 35cm x 23cm (22in x 14in x 9in).

So the AA "box" should be smaller than the BA "box".

My experience with working in europe for ten years and making many flights from San Diego/LAX to JFk then on to europe--they will check them all the way for you---by the way American built a brand new terminal at JFK--pretty nice i flown american to JFk and then on other airlines to europe and Russia and my bags were checked all the way thru by American.

Big green

The BA maximum size is 56cm x 45cm x 25cm (22in x 18in x 10in).

The AA maximum size is 56cm x 35cm x 23cm (22in x 14in x 9in).

So the AA "box" should be smaller than the BA "box".

This was 2007 when we got nailed and we were on British Air from Heathrow to Barcelona. We were traveling with a couple that go to England all the time and she said she had used the same suitcase numerous times without a problem. We think the "checker" was having a bad hair day and taking it out on us.

However, in 2009, when changing again at Heathrow and with smaller bag in hand, they eyeballed me very closely as I was boarding so I don't use the same carry-on I use here in the US. That is the same carry-on I used on AA in May of this year for a domestic flight.

Tucker in Texas

From your return trip. If you change planes in the U.S. from Europe to get to your final destination, once you clear customs MAKE sure your Duty Free booze you purchased is PACKED in your checked in bags. I was coming from Austria and flew to Dulles with a connection home to Chicago, it was chaos after clearing customs all the bags that were being rechecked on the connection were dropped off and then we went through security. People were trying to get through with their duty free bags and of course TSA was disposing them because of the no liquids over 3 oz. rule.

I could not believe how much was getting tossed. Just take the time to stop, toss in the duty free bag, and then drop off for the connection.

These tips help a lot, we do change planes in London,heathrow and then to Venice. So we do the passport check in London, but our bags go to our next flight, then do our bags get checked in Venice? We return to New York on the Gem so it's just a flight back to California.

One note, are your flights on AA and BA on one ticket or two? If they are on two separate tickets, make sure to let AA know when you check in at LAX that you need your bags checked onward to Venice. Make sure to have a copy of your BA itinerary to show them as sometimes they want to see it. If it is on one ticket, they will automatically check the bags all the way through for you.

One note, are your flights on AA and BA on one ticket or two? If they are on two separate tickets, make sure to let AA know when you check in at LAX that you need your bags checked onward to Venice. Make sure to have a copy of your BA itinerary to show them as sometimes they want to see it. If it is on one ticket, they will automatically check the bags all the way through for you.

Are our flights one ticket, No , they are separate tickets. This is the best help I can get, I will have our itinerary and all boarding passes ready at our first check-in thanks

These tips help a lot, we do change planes in London,heathrow and then to Venice. So we do the passport check in London, but our bags go to our next flight, then do our bags get checked in Venice? We return to New York on the Gem so it's just a flight back to California.
You will go through security at Heathrow but not through UK passport control/immigration. You'll need to show your passport along with a boarding pass when you go through security.

You'll clear Italian passport control at Venice, then you'll collect your luggage and go through customs.

we do change planes in London,heathrow and then to Venice. So we do the passport check in London, but our bags go to our next flight, then do our bags get checked in Venice?
It really isn't anything to worry about; people (including me) do this sort of thing all the time.

JFK

Disembark your AA flight at Terminal 8. Change terminals to the BA terminal, which is next door at Terminal 7. (Take the shuttle train that loops around all the terminals, but make sure you're going in the right direction. I think that walking between T8 and T7 is now only for the brave.) As you should have a boarding pass for the BA flights already, just clear security at the BA terminal and go to the gate - it's not a big terminal so it's very easy to navigate. If for some reason AA wasn't able to issue you with a boarding pass, pick up one at a BA counter when you get to the BA terminal. It shouldn't be necessary for you to queue with all the people checking bags; if there's a "hand baggage only" check-in desk, that's usually a good place to pick up a boarding pass quickly.

LHR

As stated above, disembark your flight, follow the Flight Connections signs to security, then go to the gate when it's time to do so. (There is no need to go to the gate particularly early; the best facilities are in the main terminal, but if your connection is short enough that you have been routed through security at the satellite, there are adequate facilities there.)

VCE

Disembark your flight, clear immigration, collect your bags and clear Customs.

NB - BA will check your boarding pass against your passport at the gate when you board each of the two BA flights. Also, security at JFK will do the same.

Getting to the airport, the terminal and the gate is the easy part,

Its knowing that our bags are in Venice at the same time we get there. We will have a change of cloths in our carryon just in case, one of our cruises a couple went 5 of the 9 days until their luggage made it to the ship.

Getting to the airport, the terminal and the gate is the easy part, Its knowing that our bags are in Venice at the same time we get there.
Well, if you have to make a two-connection journey then the reality is that there's nothing you can do about that. If you were to collect your bags at each connection point, that would probably add at least as much risk to the process as it takes away. Having some spare clothes in your carry-ons is a good idea to mitigate the potential for problems.

Looking at our flights we have a 3 1/2 hour layover in NY and a 2 1/2 hour in London so time is not a problem,it's were to find a bit to eat. NY will be dinner and London will be breakfast, I hear the business mans breakfast is quite a meal.

Looking at our flights we have a 3 1/2 hour layover in NY and a 2 1/2 hour in London so time is not a problem,it's were to find a bit to eat. NY will be dinner and London will be breakfast, I hear the business mans breakfast is quite a meal.

There are some food places in Terminal 7 after you have cleared security, but I don't think they are particularly appealing.

On the JFK-LHR flight you will be served a hot dinner after takeoff. Then, about 90 minutes before landing, there will be a light refreshment - a muffin and tea/coffee, I think.

At Heathrow, the best place for breakfast is said to be Plane Food, which is in the main terminal on the same level as security, near the southern end of the building. Another good place for breakfast is Giraffe. In the satellite, there's a pub (J D Wetherspoon) that is likely to do a full breakfast, but the Apostrophe cafe also serves a number of decent lighter breakfast items. (Apostrophe is one of my regular breakfast haunts before I go into the office.) I'm not sure what you mean by "businessman's breakfast", but you won't go hungry at T5.

There's likely to be a snack of some sort on the flight to Venice but it's unlikely to be very substantial.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
I saw the breakfast on a travel show ( eggs, beans,ham,blood sausage,toast and beer )

Now the next question?

Bag fees, when are they paid? The first leg?q

If you are flying from USA to Europe, most airlines do not charge for one bag per passenger as long as it is 50 pounds or less. I've never had to pay with Delta, American, Continental, or British Air.

However, flying from London to wherever, you are only allowed one carry on and a purse is THE carry-on. They are, also, picky about the size of the carry-on, it has to fit in their little box which I have found is smaller than our box even though our bag had the inches they outlined on their web site including the wheels. I carry a 20" one that works. Put my purse inside it.

Tucker in Texas

If you are flying from USA to Europe, most airlines do not charge for one bag per passenger as long as it is 50 pounds or less. I've never had to pay with Delta, American, Continental, or British Air.
That's correct; however since the OP is traveling on 2 tickets, the first of which is a domestic ticket, bag fees will likely apply to that flight. But since AA and BA now have an operating agreement that involves much closer cooperation on the ground, if I were the OP I'd show the BA ticket to the agent when checking in for the flight to JFK, and ask that the bags be through-tagged to London. IF the agent will do so (and they certainly ought to) then they may NOT levy the baggage fee.

However, flying from London to wherever, you are only allowed one carry on and a purse is THE carry-on. They are, also, picky about the size of the carry-on, it has to fit in their little box which I have found is smaller than our box even though our bag had the inches they outlined on their web site including the wheels. I carry a 20" one that works. Put my purse inside it.

Tucker in Texas

This is no longer the case. One carry-on (e.g. a 22" roller) and one "personal item" (handbag, computer case etc.) is now the rule.

That's correct; however since the OP is traveling on 2 tickets, the first of which is a domestic ticket, bag fees will likely apply to that flight. But since AA and BA now have an operating agreement that involves much closer cooperation on the ground, if I were the OP I'd show the BA ticket to the agent when checking in for the flight to JFK, and ask that the bags be through-tagged to London. IF the agent will do so (and they certainly ought to) then they may NOT levy the baggage fee.

This is no longer the case. One carry-on (e.g. a 22" roller) and one "personal item" (handbag, computer case etc.) is now the rule.

That seems to be the answer, and that's what I'll be doing.

I think that was always the rule and I stuffed my handbag into a tote. I know we both always have a carry-on and we have a briefcase/shoulder bag that husband carries. It's been awhile since I've gone through Heathrow or CDG.

Thanks for correcting me and in such a polite/nice manner (lol)

Tucker in Texas

One carry-on (e.g. a 22" roller) and one "personal item" (handbag, computer case etc.) is now the rule.
And since April 2010, airport security no longer applies any size restrictions. The only size restrictions on cabin baggage are those applied by your airlines.

If you are flying on more than one airline, you need to comply with the most restrictive conditions.

I did get to talk to AA and found this out for bag fees, we have 3 bags to check in LAX to JFK, 2 are free and a $35 fee for the 3rd, I also found out that on our second leg JFK to LHN has a $50 fee for the 3rd bag, the first two are free. I was also told that AA will move our bags to BA for our flight to LHN as long as we have all our tickets at the LAX check in. As gardyloo said in some early posts about the bags and transfers, on the money. Our carryon will be a 22in each and a backpack.

Archived