Stores that carry "FIRE" season clothing

Joby

I AM SOOOO EXCITED!!! OK, now I truly think I have hi-jacked this thread. But this information is just too good to keep to myself. I think I may have discovered a break-through for myself and some of you might benefit also.

I have been reading blogs recently about the French Chic perspective that embraces the notion that you can live with a very minimalistic wardrobe but they must all be FANTASTIC and coordinating pieces. I love the idea of traveling with a fashionista wardrobe in a single piece of carry-on luggage. I don't have the budget for most of the high-end clothes they mention, but I can translate them to the thrift-store and clearance racks that I visit quite nicely. (Thank you very much!) While reading today, I came upon an idea that is so fantastic that I MUST share it with you all.

I've noticed that the most straightforward way for me to "build" a wardrobe is to start with a signature scarf and work from there. This could be a good strategy for anybody looking for some guidelines and some structure around which to build their clothing choices. The beauty of this approach is that you don't HAVE to actually own the scarf - you can find one that resonates on a deep level with you (colors, design and theme) and use that as the "keynote". Then, any potential garment that isn't in harmony with your signature scarf needs to be seriously reconsidered. [/i]

I have a few scarves in our FIRE colors and have found several on-line today. This lady was working with Hermes scarves and my pocketbook isn't that deep, but I can see how this concept might really work for me. A scarf takes up virtually NO room in my purse. By having 2-3 available at all times and using different color schemes within our FIRE palette, it would include most of our FIRE-yness. I know we have our color cards, but I don't do as well with them in the stores as I should. I think this would be easier somehow. Like having our "Happy Fire Party" available at all times.

Tell me what you think, Ladies. Did I convey this idea in such a way that you understand what I mean. Am I way out in left field, or do you think this could work?

OK...this is seriously interesting to read because we all sound so much ALIKE!!

First and foremost...a major congratulations on your weight loss and more importantly the attitude change that preceded the weight loss and got you started! :) I think that shrinking out of your clothes really helps with the idea of building a new wardrobe based on color...somehow...it's more acceptable to donate an otherwise perfectly good article of clothing if it is TOO BIG as well as the WRONG color...LOL.

I'm in this same boat...it's a nice boat! :D

And I started doing all this research on building a wardrobe...since it felt like I would eventually be replacing all the clothing that I owned...I wanted some help and guidelines...and I started reading blogs...the one I really liked was called the Minimalist Closet or something like that...just the idea that less is more...buying quality pieces that may be more expensive that I have purchased in the past, BUT the cost per wear becomes so much less because you wear them more and they can handle the wear and tear of frequent wear. I'll have to check out the French Chic perspective!

About the scarves...I had recently wondered about this idea...not scarves...but prints...I was wondering if it would be easier to see coloring blending into a print rather than a collection of solid color swatches...the idea of scarves is really great! Because they are normally so thin! You're right...it would be small to carry around...even a couple of them...too bad that fabric stores have become so unpopular...the offerings of fashion fabrics in them are pitiful...it would be handy to just be able to purchase what you wanted of scarf fabric!

OK...this is seriously interesting to read because we all sound so much ALIKE!!

First and foremost...a major congratulations on your weight loss and more importantly the attitude change that preceded the weight loss and got you started! :) I think that shrinking out of your clothes really helps with the idea of building a new wardrobe based on color...somehow...it's more acceptable to donate an otherwise perfectly good article of clothing if it is TOO BIG as well as the WRONG color...LOL.

I'm in this same boat...it's a nice boat! :D

And I started doing all this research on building a wardrobe...since it felt like I would eventually be replacing all the clothing that I owned...I wanted some help and guidelines...and I started reading blogs...the one I really liked was called the Minimalist Closet or something like that...just the idea that less is more...buying quality pieces that may be more expensive that I have purchased in the past, BUT the cost per wear becomes so much less because you wear them more and they can handle the wear and tear of frequent wear. I'll have to check out the French Chic perspective!

About the scarves...I had recently wondered about this idea...not scarves...but prints...I was wondering if it would be easier to see coloring blending into a print rather than a collection of solid color swatches...the idea of scarves is really great! Because they are normally so thin! You're right...it would be small to carry around...even a couple of them...too bad that fabric stores have become so unpopular...the offerings of fashion fabrics in them are pitiful...it would be handy to just be able to purchase what you wanted of scarf fabric!

Thanks for the confirmation, Anita. I agree heartily with everything you just said -- boat together, donating perfectly GOOD clothes, AND quality over quantity. I just need to lose a few more pounds and I can SERIOUSLY let more items live at someone else's house.

Take a look at the vivienne files. A google search will locate it. Like you, she has such a visual way of expressing her opinion about a few GOOD pieces. On the right-hand side of her page, there are several links to older July posts, but the one that may be most interesting is from Tuesday, July 26, and you can reach it by just scrolling down her initial page.

Please let me know what you think. Until then, we'll all help row this boat together! ;)

Thanks for the confirmation, Anita. I agree heartily with everything you just said -- boat together, donating perfectly GOOD clothes, AND quality over quantity. I just need to lose a few more pounds and I can SERIOUSLY let more items live at someone else's house.

Take a look at the vivienne files. A google search will locate it. Like you, she has such a visual way of expressing her opinion about a few GOOD pieces. On the right-hand side of her page, there are several links to older July posts, but the one that may be most interesting is from Tuesday, July 26, and you can reach it by just scrolling down her initial page.

Please let me know what you think. Until then, we'll all help row this boat together! ;)

To share with others...here's the link to the blog:

http://theviviennefiles.blogspot.com/

Today, Thursday, July 28 has a seriously wonderful post...we can translate what was posted today into a serious travel wardrobe. She takes 8 articles of clothing and makes 12 outfits from these 8 pieces of clothes. The chart that she uses to show the 12 outfits really brings to life what is meant by a mix and match wardrobe...and this is something to which we can ALL aspire if we stick to our Fire, Earth, Ice, or Air colors. Talk about fitting a week's worth of clothing into a carry-on! I love that she has accessory suggestions too, for each look.

I think this would be a fun exercise for everyone to do...I think Mom has already done this actually with her travel wardrobes. But seriously...if you went through your closet RIGHT NOW...what 8 items could you put together?

I think doing exercises like this is beneficial. It helps to discover new outfits in the closet...and it can highlight gaps in the wardrobe to lend some focus to any shopping...and also what accessories would be really great to own for some very specific occasions...which is something that I admit is seriously lacking in my own wardrobe. And it can help everyone if they are in the process of losing weight (Mom is in THAT boat too!) to minimize purchases until goals are achieved.

I still have to read the post you are talking about, Debbie, but I was just so excited about the very first one! :D

Oh good. You're back. I've been checking in off and on today to see. I wasn't sure if we could list something like a blog here. (I still don't know what is ok and what's not.) Thanks for listing it for everyone. I am soooo excited about this newest development!

--Debbie

Oh good. You're back. I've been checking in off and on today to see. I wasn't sure if we could list something like a blog here. (I still don't know what is ok and what's not.) Thanks for listing it for everyone. I am soooo excited about this newest development!

--Debbie

I'm really enjoying looking at this blog. The entry that you referred to on July 26 for a Soft and Warm Spring looks very muted to me...there are only a couple items in there that truly look like FIRE colors...there's a long-sleeved, button down orange shirt, the coral dress, and the coral coat. The gold trench looks fun for FIRE...The neutral colored blazer looks like it would be a nice neutral (it reminds me of a pair of capris Mom has...the ones she wore with the red shirt on the balcony?)...but overall, this wardrobe looks much more like EARTH...I'm not sure that SOFT is EVER a word that I would use to describe a true FIRE wardrobe...not that there couldn't be some pale colors in there.

All those greens and muddy browns? Screaming EARTH to me...just saying.

I totally agree. I'm on my iPhone now and can't swap over to see the individual itmes you mentioned, but I recall that I thought this might be a better fit for your "earthiness" rather than our FIRE palette. Just what color beige is that--earth or fire? But for a non-CJW convert and an obvious Winter/ICE, she still gives one of the best visual plan that I can REALLY work from.

So I have been reading through this blog today...Vivienne Files...and I am having a lot of fun reading it. The post that I think would be really interesting for a topic of conversation is this one:

http://theviviennefiles.blogspot.com/2011/06/back-to-roots-of-vivienne-files-part-7.html

This one talks about a travel wardrobe...and that travel wardrobe can have a MAXIMUM of 15 items of clothing...no matter how long the trip is...undergarments, shoes, and accessories are not counted in the 15 clothing items. A different post details the accessories and shoes that she also brought on her almost 6-week long trip, and how she pulled a few of her outfits together:

http://theviviennefiles.blogspot.com/2011/07/back-to-roots-of-vivienne-files-part-8.html

I know we talk a lot here about clothes that aren't necessarily cruise bound...but in terms of having a conversation that everyone can relate to...the cruise travel wardrobe...could you do it with 15 items of clothing?

What a challenge!

For my fellow EARTH ladies that I know are reading both threads, just as I do, I think we can talk about EARTH specific wardrobes over on the EARTH thread...I am just posting more here because Debbie and I have been having this conversation today!

I am up for this challenge though...I think this would be a great tool for me as I am trying to prepare for my birthday celebration cruise and still have to anticipate additional weight loss until goal...which will hopefully be before the cruise, but I am unsure how MUCH before the cruise.

I have read on other minimalistic and capsule wardrobe blogs that each type of wardrobe should have it's own set of X number of items. For instance, a spring-summer wardrobe, a fall-winter wardrobe, a work-out wardrobe, etc. Some do not include exercise clothes in their X number of clothes because they aren't part of "what people in public see me wearing". At the very least, I think swimsuits should be included as a "free" item like underwear because they take up so little room in the suitcase. That's part of what makes creating a cruise wardrobe so very challenging! There are so many different activities we plan to participate in while cruising.

Anita, you mentioned a trip to Disney. We went this past January and I did it with a carry-on and a large purse. It helped tremendously to plan it out on paper because temperatures ranged from 82-42 during the time we were there. I really enjoyed myself and wasn't overly hot OR cold. I located my daily packing list and counted. I made the trip with 19 items and 3 pairs of shoes (and that includes both what I wore and what was in the suitcase).

Intrigued by this conversation. For a couple of reasons. One is that losing the inches that I've lost through Zumba has made my wardrobe something of a challenge. The clothes that I bought for my last trip are looking really baggy on me right now. So I have another shopping trip... and let me tell you... I thought my LAST shopping trip would last me through the next two cruises! Another reason is, of course, the ability to pack more conservatively which helps so much with the luggage requirements, etc. Although I think that there will always be a legitimate reason to overpack; i.e., especially if you practice the 50/50 luggage-sharing principle to be able to have something to wear in the event that you have a luggage issue with the airline.

So I went through my packing list for the last cruise, which was lengthy. Two days in Ft Lauderdale, followed by 14 nights at sea, followed by a day in Barcelona, followed by 6 nights at sea, followed by 3 days in Venice. Packing for temps ranging from 50's to mid-70s, and actually experienced more 70s to mid-80s! Packed for rain... no rain. Had to pack for special events; i.e., formal nights... 3 on the first cruise...1 on the second. Just a lot of STUFF.

So, I did it with 9 bottoms (jeggings, pants, skirts)... 13 tops... 5 jackets/sweaters... 2 dresses... 3 cocktail dresses...

It would be interesting to be able to get that bulk reduced! So I'm off to read the blog and see what information I can glean from it.

My next effort is going to be in October. 2 days in Boston, followed by 14-nite cruise in Caribbean, B2B so a 5-nite leg in Southern Caribbean, followed by a flight to Houston and an extended stay that will last for a few weeks. Can do laundry both on ship and in Houston, but the Houston temps and Boston temps will be much lower than the Caribbean temps. So, hopefully this blog will get my creativity pulsing so I can figure this out with minimal luggage!

Can do laundry both on ship and in Houston, but the Houston temps and Boston temps will be much lower than the Caribbean temps. So, hopefully this blog will get my creativity pulsing so I can figure this out with minimal luggage!

Pam, repeat after me "silk long underwear is my friend". You may already be aware of this, but I'm referring to Cuddleduds or LandsEnd silk version. I took these with me on our January Disney trip and was AMAZED at how versatile these two pieces were. I used them from everything from sleepwear to the extra layer they were designed to be. AND, as underwear, it won't count as our 15 pieces!!! I didn't realize they come in everything from tank to long sleeved tops as well as capri and pant lengths. I never thought I'd like them, but I LOVE the idea that I can add warmth with absolutely no bulk and Miss Menopause can slip into the nearest restroom and remove them if need be. I could probably stuff them in a quart ziploc and put it in my purse and no one would be any wiser. I have both and the silk is so much better than the synthetic version.

You have all been so nice to help me, I hope I've been able to return the favor and this is of help to you. --Debbie

I know we talk a lot here about clothes that aren't necessarily cruise bound...but in terms of having a conversation that everyone can relate to...the cruise travel wardrobe...could you do it with 15 items of clothing?

What a challenge!

I agree this IS a challenge. In re-reading The Vivienne Files, I'd like to offer an explanation. I THINK she has her wardrobes broken down into more than just clothes and accessories. Let me know if you also think this is the case.

I've gone back to July 8 on her blog and I believe the first 7-8 items are meant to be the essential core wardrobe -- the absolute minimum wardrobe with the inspiration scarf as the 8th item. When I read the fine print, I realized that two white t-shirts are mentioned but the jacket and one of the skirts are meant to be one item because it is listed as a suit. OHHHHH, this gives us an additional top! YIPPEE!

"The seven essentials no well-dressed Frenchwoman would be without".

That list included:

1. A black straight skirt
  2. a V-neck or cardigan sweater
  3. a suit
  4. a pair of jeans
  5. a silk shirt
  6. a couple of white tee-shirts
  7. an Hermes scarf

The next grouping is called add-ons to make a complete wardrobe and includes 8 more items.

"Let's just round out this core wardrobe with a few of the essentials."

1. The wardrobe cries out for another dress. Something seasonless and basic - maybe short-sleeved or sleeveless. Certainly, something that would be more practical between April and September (Northern Hemisphere) than a sweater dress.
  2. A second cardigan or jacket. These second layers finish off many looks to give a more polished appearance, and are often terribly useful with air-conditioning, or cooler weather.
  3. Another short-sleeved tee shirt. These babies need to be laundered often - you want more than one.
  4. A fun top in a pattern or accent color. All of us in love with stripes - this is our big chance!
  5. A longer-sleeved tee shirt. 3/4 sleeve or long, these are good basics to layer up in the cooler weather.
  6. Another pair of pants. If you're a devotee of black, it could be a second pair of black pants, but for most of us, introducing a second neutral into the mix, or a pattern based on our primary neutral, will be more versatile.
  7. Another blouse or shirt. Silk or cotton, depending on you preference. Solid or patterned, or a new accent color.
  8. A dressy top. Works wonders with pants, or any of your skirts.

:) I'm not sure when coats were added to the essentials, but this gives us a little more information when making our choices.

I've learned to substitute brown every time I read black these days. How about you?;)

Oh Lord, I've missed a lot while we've been gone on our trip! It has been fun catching up :)

I LOVE the scarf idea and carrying it around all the time in your purse--great idea. If anyone finds one with lots of FIRE colors, please post it.

Debbie, glad to see you posting more. The more the merrier in my book.

It was SO much fun meeting Pam and her DH :D I think we could have talked for days on end. My DH is a very patient and wonderful guy--I'm blessed to be married to him. Our DS is a cutie but, I'm way too biased. We had a WONDERFUL trip to the Southwest. It was beautiful and so different than anything we've ever seen before! LOVED IT!

Now, on to "play clothes"--my play clothes term came from when our kids were little--they had "play clothes" and "good clothes" (to wear to Mass, out to eat, decent places....), I still seem to call things "play clothes" or "good clothes" :D

When we travel we use mostly play clothes to travel in and wear and take good clothes for nicer activities. For this trip, we took mostly play clothes since we did lots of outdoor "stuff" like hiking, horseback riding, rafting, etc.

I haven't had much luck in finding cheap, great FIRE play clothes, so I make do and cheat with not so great FIRE play clothes--think greens that are EARTH and maybe even ICE and peaches that are more AIR than FIRE.

I need help in finding some good "play clothes" that are GREAT

FIRE matches!

I'm still having trouble seeing if something looks good on ME or if it only matches my color cards. That's why I seem to only be comfortable in buying things that are confirmed FIRE clothes and/or perfect matches to my FIRE color cards :o

What if we kept a list going of all the confirmed FIRE colors and stores where they were. Could we do something like that on here?

Oh, BTW, I was wondering --wouldn't it be fun to get a group color cruise put together? Would anyone be interested? Maybe if we couldn't arrange a cruise, we could meet somewhere "in the middle" of all of our living places for a weekend or something. Any comments?

Glad to be back in the conversation here--I missed it :)

Oh Lord, I've missed a lot while we've been gone on our trip! It has been fun catching up.

I LOVE the scarf idea and carrying it around all the time in your purse--great idea. If anyone finds one with lots of FIRE colors, please post it.

I've had luck finding fire-colored scarves on Etsy. I have purchased a "few" VERA scarves, but didn't think to save the links or the pictures. Our tomato-red is the easiest color for me to recognize, so I looked for our red with bright clear navy or our limey green and was able to recognize them immediately online. I'll try to take a picture of the scarf and post it.

You may regret those words--my "more" gets a little long-winded at times.;)

It was SO much fun meeting Pam and her DH :D I think we could have talked for days on end. My DH is a very patient and wonderful guy--I'm blessed to be married to him. Our DS is a cutie but, I'm way too biased. We had a WONDERFUL trip to the Southwest. It was beautiful and so different than anything we've ever seen before! LOVED IT!

Glad you had a good time and you all got to meet IRL. DH and I are beginning to plan a similar trip with friends next summer. Ahhh, another wardrobe planning in my future.

Now, on to "play clothes"--my play clothes term came from when our kids were little--they had "play clothes" and "good clothes" (to wear to Mass, out to eat, decent places....), I still seem to call things "play clothes" or "good clothes"

We do exactly the same thing at our house.

I'm still having trouble seeing if something looks good on ME or if it only matches my color cards. That's why I seem to only be comfortable in buying things that are confirmed FIRE clothes and/or perfect matches to my FIRE color cards

I've made quite a few mistakes along the way, but I think (hope) I'm beginning to get better at this--the scarves have made a HUGE difference for me. I have CJW's color cards, but could never train my eye to see the colors correctly, I guess. For me, the scarves just work for my brain. Somehow I can put the scarf with the new item and my mind immediately knows if it "works" or not. It's wierd. It doesn't need to be a match, I just know if it works. If this doesn't work for you, I'll bet you soon find a tool that will.

What if we kept a list going of all the confirmed FIRE colors and stores where they were. Could we do something like that on here?

The one I know for sure is Chico's Cadmium Red.

Oh, BTW, I was wondering --wouldn't it be fun to get a group color cruise put together? Would anyone be interested? Maybe if we couldn't arrange a cruise, we could meet somewhere "in the middle" of all of our living places for a weekend or something. Any comments?

I'm game--when and where? --Debbie

Kim! Glad you are back and that you had a wonderful trip. Mom said it was such fun to meet you and your family...I was bummed to have missed it! But my trip was planned around a scheduled training and trying to minimize missing my Zumba classes...oh well.

I like the idea of a double whammy...we need a shopping meet and greet FIRST...and then a show off cruise/vacation AFTER!!

The shopping would have to be during a season when summer clothes were in the stores...at a place with LOTS of shopping, of course...during a NON-premium holiday weekend...what about the Mall of America? How fun would THAT be? I've only been to the Twin Cities once, but I liked what I could see...

Kim! Glad you are back and that you had a wonderful trip. Mom said it was such fun to meet you and your family...I was bummed to have missed it! But my trip was planned around a scheduled training and trying to minimize missing my Zumba classes...oh well.

That was too bad about missing each other by a couple of days :( Pam and I did have a fun time meeting!

I like the idea of a double whammy...we need a shopping meet and greet FIRST...and then a show off cruise/vacation AFTER!!

The shopping would have to be during a season when summer clothes were in the stores...at a place with LOTS of shopping, of course...during a NON-premium holiday weekend...what about the Mall of America? How fun would THAT be? I've only been to the Twin Cities once, but I liked what I could see...

Ooohh, that is a great idea--the shopping meet and the cruise finale! I've never been to Minnesota.

Although it would be much closer for Debbie and me--Chicago is a fun place to go. Once, my daughter and I and her best friend and her Mom did a whole weekend of just thrift store shopping. That was a lot of fun! We then ate at some neat ethnic places too. That might be another idea.

Let's work on this idea:D

Oh Lord, I've missed a lot while we've been gone on our trip! It has been fun catching up.

I've had luck finding fire-colored scarves on Etsy. I have purchased a "few" VERA scarves, but didn't think to save the links or the pictures. Our tomato-red is the easiest color for me to recognize, so I looked for our red with bright clear navy or our limey green and was able to recognize them immediately online. I'll try to take a picture of the scarf and post it.

You may regret those words--my "more" gets a little long-winded at times.;)

Glad you had a good time and you all got to meet IRL. DH and I are beginning to plan a similar trip with friends next summer. Ahhh, another wardrobe planning in my future.

Now, on to "play clothes"--my play clothes term came from when our kids were little--they had "play clothes" and "good clothes" (to wear to Mass, out to eat, decent places....), I still seem to call things "play clothes" or "good clothes"

We do exactly the same thing at our house.

I'm still having trouble seeing if something looks good on ME or if it only matches my color cards. That's why I seem to only be comfortable in buying things that are confirmed FIRE clothes and/or perfect matches to my FIRE color cards

I've made quite a few mistakes along the way, but I think (hope) I'm beginning to get better at this--the scarves have made a HUGE difference for me. I have CJW's color cards, but could never train my eye to see the colors correctly, I guess. For me, the scarves just work for my brain. Somehow I can put the scarf with the new item and my mind immediately knows if it "works" or not. It's wierd. It doesn't need to be a match, I just know if it works. If this doesn't work for you, I'll bet you soon find a tool that will.

The one I know for sure is Chico's Cadmium Red.

I'm game--when and where? --Debbie

Thanks, Debbie. Let's absolutely work on a meet and greet :D

I really love the multi-colored scarf idea. Now I need some help finding just the right one :eek:

Thanks, Debbie. Let's absolutely work on a meet and greet :D

I really love the multi-colored scarf idea. Now I need some help finding just the right one :eek:

Meet & greet sounds like fun. If you know Chicago well enough to shop vintage, I'm all for it. I've never been to the Mall of America, so that sounds like fun too. Like I said before, just let me know when and where!

I may have found a few scarves for you. They may or may not be your style, but you can get a general idea of what I'm suggesting.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/79448907/vintage-chevron-scarf-in-navy-red-and?ref=sr_gallery_17&ga_ref=auto&ga_search_query=scarf&ga_order=date_desc&ga_ship_to=US&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_type=vintage&ga_facet=vintage

and maybe this one--

http://www.etsy.com/listing/79537284/purple-and-blue-floral-vintage-vera?ref=sr_gallery_11&ga_search_query=scarf&ga_order=date_desc&ga_ship_to=US&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_page=4&ga_search_type=vintage&ga_facet=vintage

With two or three that include different colors in our palette, you have a strong base to use when shopping. Am I off base here? Do these look like the right colors to anyone else? --Debbie

If you are going for a scarf...hmmm...I don't like the white in the one with blue, red, yellow...it makes me question the colors...and the other one...I don't know...I try to picture either of these scarves with Mom's wardrobe and they don't go IMO...when I think of FIRE...I think these are better bets...

http://www.etsy.com/listing/77866203/hot-hawaii-70s-liz-claiborne-designer?ref=sr_gallery_39&ga_search_submit=&ga_search_query=silk+scarves&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_noautofacet=1&ga_page=3&ga_search_type=vintage&ga_facet=vintage

http://www.etsy.com/listing/77381244/vibrant-large-vintage-liz-claiborne-100?ref=sr_gallery_40&ga_search_submit=&ga_search_query=silk+scarves&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_noautofacet=1&ga_page=26&ga_search_type=vintage&ga_facet=vintage

http://www.etsy.com/listing/77070237/vintage-liz-claiborne-fruit-print-silk?ref=sr_gallery_13&ga_search_submit=&ga_search_query=silk+scarves&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_noautofacet=1&ga_page=29&ga_search_type=vintage&ga_facet=vintage

http://www.etsy.com/listing/71552811/vera-paints-a-taste-of-portugal-an?ref=sr_gallery_32&ga_search_submit=&ga_search_query=silk+scarves&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_noautofacet=1&ga_page=32&ga_search_type=vintage&ga_facet=vintage

http://www.etsy.com/listing/78442128/vintage-italian-scarf-very-mod-design?ref=sc_1

I'm through page 40 on a search for "silk scarves" in all items on Etsy. That's what I got so far...

The proof is IRL of course, but online...these are reminding me of Mom's clothes.

I've thought about the meet and greet--what if we met sometime this Fall for a weekend of shopping and planned a cruise next spring or summer? Pam, what are your thoughts/ideas? Are you interested?

I'm usually pretty flexible. If anyone would like to come up with some dates.....:D:D

Debbie,

I "think" I see the FIRE colors in Anita's examples a little more :) I really do love this scarf idea. I can't say I've ever worn a scarf before, but I could certainly carry one in my purse ;)

Does anyone have many good FIRE bottoms? I also would LOVE to find more multi-colored tops instead of all plain one color tops. Anyone have any good sources or seen anything that would be a good FIRE match?

I'm still looking for a windbreaker type jacket too. I found this one--thoughts???

Well, it looks like it's gone now. It was called coral blaze or something like that. Crap! Back to the drawing board I guess.

Interesting thing about the scarf idea...if you could find two...one that was more on the red/orange/yellow side of the spectrum...and one that has more green/blue/purple side...I have noticed that there is a fashion where ladies will tie a scarf around the base of the straps of a medium/large sized handbag...do you know what I am talking about? You could tie the one that matches around the bag handle base and put the other one inside the bag...just a thought...as it might be easier to find scarves like this...I noticed several but didn't think they were as helpful since they didn't cover as much of the color spectrum...hmmm...

As to spring/summer next year...Mom and I are already booked in the spring for my birthday celebration cruise in the spring...see my countdown...Mom has others planned prior so she doesn't have it in her countdown yet...if anyone wants to book it going out of Galveston? :D

We already have an August vacation planned and that might be all I could do for spring/summer 2012...two weeks planned pretty much maxes my vacation time...which sounds weird, I know...since I only teach Zumba classes, but my vacation get all tied up into taking time away from DH's work because of DS. :)

Hi, Kim,

You are just so much more spontaneous than I am! Isn't that funny, because being retired (and all), you'd think that I would have an open schedule. But the fact is that, being retired (and all), I do so much planning that I end up not really being able to be spontaneous!

So, as Anita explained, we've scheduled ourselves out for almost the remainder of this year. I'm getting to meet my brother and his family in San Diego for a few days (this is news to Anita!), and hopefully I can meet other friends who live in the area, as well. Then, we're cruising from Boston to Tampa at the end of October and flying from Tampa to Houston to spend Thanksgiving holiday time with Anita. Home after that... to have our Christmas and Anita is hostessing an in-law Christmas this year.

Then, we get to celebrate the BIG birthday in March, which is the Mariner out of Galveston on 3/11/12. It turns out that we had the "price fairy" on our side with that trip because we booked it before RCCL realized that is was a Spring Break week! We have some of the BEST prices that I've ever seen for even a week's cruise, much less a Spring Break cruise.

Then, DH and I are celebrating our 30th anniversary by going to Bermuda for a week in June.

Whew.

Then... we have plans to celebrate DH's birthday at the end of 2012.

It's really kind of funny that we got to meet IRL because I haven't even met my neighbors yet and they moved in 18 months ago! It's a funny story because these people have a home here and in Alaska. It seems that every time they come here to stay, they arrive about a day after we leave for a trip. And then they leave a few days before we get back. Hmmmm. we've only "met" them once to just exchange names so I don't think that they have this grand plan. Maybe at the end of this year they will stay here enough around Christmas that we can actually visit for a while over snacks and some wine. Hopefully.

It would be great fun to meet and a BLAST to go on a cruise together. But I think it's going to take some major planning. And schedule tweaking.

:eek::eek:I need to get a life!!!

I, for one, vote that everyone get their schedules in order---we need to have a meet 'n greet, even if just for a weekend :D

if anyone finds a great scarf or two, please post, will you? I think it's a great idea!

My calendar is nearly always free and clear ;)

if anyone finds a great scarf or two, please post, will you? I think it's a great idea!

What does everyone think about this option? My monitor shows the colors are so vivid that it almost IS on fire.:D

http://www.etsy.com/listing/78436495/vintage-80s-scarf-floral-cobalt-blue?ref=sr_gallery_14&ga_search_query=SCARF&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_page=4&ga_search_type=vintage&ga_facet=vintage

My calendar is nearly always free and clear ;)

What does everyone think about this option? My monitor shows the colors are so vivid that it almost IS on fire.:D

http://www.etsy.com/listing/78436495/vintage-80s-scarf-floral-cobalt-blue?ref=sr_gallery_14&ga_search_query=SCARF&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_page=4&ga_search_type=vintage&ga_facet=vintage

Scarves like these make internet shopping hard...that looks like a red that I could have SWORN was Fire, but when I got it home, it was ICE...and because it combines the blue and the red, which I think is very typical of ICE clothing...I would guess that it would be ICE and not FIRE...

When I see that blue in FIRE coloring...it is usually paired with yellow...or turquoise...or gold...that FIRE royal blue?

When I see that red in FIRE coloring...it is usually paired with other colors in the red to yellow spectrum...

And I hate to say it, but it is much more typical for a pairing of red and blue to be in the ICE spectrum...because a cool, blue red pairs very well with a cool blue...not to say that warm red and warm blue don't pair well together...BUT...I have honestly never seen the combination together in the FIRE palate...and I have looked for it all over...even in fabric stores...looking and researching different ideas for shopping aides.

Okay. I'm losing my ever-loving mind here! About the time I think I have a few things figured out, I find I've been wasting my money again. I'm buying a size smaller in clothes (YEA!) well, technically two sizes since I was needing to buy up a size when this journey began. So I've gone from uncomfortably tight, to comfortable, to now every thing sags and bags when I put it on. I am sooo frustrated!!! I've taken a picture and will need to get to a REAL computer tomorrow to post and explain it.

Please hang in here with me ladies. I so very much want to learn this. I'm beginning to think I'm a lost cause. Tonight I am definitely NoT aok in KY.