Stores that carry "FIRE" season clothing

Joby

Hey, there's conversation going on!!!!!!! How exciting and I'm so glad :D

I'm glad to hear all about everyone's future plans. It is so exciting and motivating to have something to look forward to. I, too, have become so addicted to planning a trip in the future. I absolutely know that I sure like to have it to look forward to or I do get down in the dumps. I think we are just about set to make a commitment to another safari. We have talked about the uncertainties in life, money, priorities, etc. Going to Tanzania was one of the best decisions we have ever made in our lives! We do not regret one single moment of it.

Linda, I LOVE the blue! Your nail job looks good to me. I'm not sure mine EVEr looks that good :o Glad you also gave the name. That helps me so much. I have been finding that I seem to be losing some of my confidence in choosing appropriate FIRE colors. Maybe it's because I haven't been buying much lately. I also don't seem to find much in the stores that look like great FIRE colors. Maybe it's just me, I don't know. It seems like I see tons of every other seasonal color though.

Debbie, I don't envy your nail situation at all. I am lucky in that I have always had very strong nails that grow quickly. My Mom did too but, one of my sisters has thin nails and also bites them. Alaska is so on our list of places to go to. You WILL post a pictodiary, won't you????

Anita, glad to hear your trip went well and was fun. it is so refreshing to change scenery, isn't it?

Pam and Anita, an upcoming family cruise. that will be a lot of fun.

I'm so glad to hear from everyone! I am going to try to post some photos of my African fabric tomorrow. will you all give me some ideas on how to use it? Anita, you are a sewer and fashionista, ideas?????

I've missed our conversations, glad to hear from everyone!

Gonna do some shopping Friday on my day off! DH and I are day tripping to another town that has WAY more stores than our dinky town. I get so frustrated when people talk about shopping at great shops. We have WallyWorld, Penny's, Sears, BonTon, Kmart, TJ Max and a few smaller stores and that's it. If you want burgers, pizza, beer or lawyers- you've got it made here! :eek:

Not that I NEED anything, but I'm in the mood to shop now. Guess that blue polish did the trick!:cool: I really do love it! We'll see how the other colors go. I'll post pic this weekend when I change color. Or maybe I'll do each nail a different color..what a hoot that would be for this ole gal. (I'm officially old! :( as of last Sunday!)

Have fun, Linda!

Thanks Kim. I did! :D Not as much fun as I would have liked though. I pooped out! My knees really started to hurt about 2 1/2 hours into the mall.:mad: So, I didn't get to all the stores I wanted.

The great thing is everything I did get was on sale and I got extra $$ off for special sales today and a senior discount! Love the discounts, but I'm not crazy about being called "senior"! I had so many clothes in the dressing rooms, it looked like tornados had gone through the stores! A new one piece swim suit in coral print and a cute all weather jacket that I think may be an ok fire...not sure, but I'll have to wear it unless we go back in a few weeks, were added to my closet. Also a pair of bermuda shorts (much needed) not in the coral I wanted as the only pair in the store my size had a tooth missing from the zipper!:(but they fit really nice and are khaki to go with all the tops I got in some good fire colors- at least to my eye~but who knows~ I will try to post pics tomorrow. It's very cloudy and raining right now.

All in all it was a very nice day. DH and I had an enjoyable lunch before we did "his" shopping at the home improvement, gun and auto stores.. I had to let him loose to do his thing as I really was in a lot of pain.

Have taken some meds so hopefully I'll get some relief soon. The weather has a lot to do with my knee pain as my "Uncle Artheritis" just won't leave me alone when the weather takes a turn for the worse.

Anyhooo...did you get your pics of the fabric uploaded yet? I'm dying to see what you got.

Well........

I'm waiting to see Kim's fabric. So I can "ooh" and "aah" and...

I'm waiting to see Linda's purchases. So I can "ooh" and "aah".

So, I'm..... waiting......

:D

Linda, so sorry to hear abut your knees. That is an awful pain because it just puts us right on the sidelines, doesn't it? I haven't experienced quite the level that you're describing, but I've had a few tweaks now and then that let me know I have knees, kwim? It's like every time I bend with a more than 90-degree squat (like getting down to try to fix something on a lower level), whoa nelly... they are stiff!

Hope you feel much better today.

Well........

I'm waiting to see Kim's fabric. So I can "ooh" and "aah" and...

I'm waiting to see Linda's purchases. So I can "ooh" and "aah".

So, I'm..... waiting......

Wait no more... My Haul!

Left to right Top Row: Swimsuit, 2 t's cream, corals and browns

Bottom: Sleevless tops. The left one is chocolate and cream. The one on the right is layered ruffles.

IMG_2507_zps3b3dfc83.jpg

Top row: camp shirt, sleeveless u-neck, boatneck top.

Bottom: khaki bermuda shorts with gold belt.

IMG_2510_zps904c65b0.jpg

This is the jacket. I'm not real sure about it, but DH loved it and insisted I get it. It has an ivory trim, but the silver zippper pull and grommets through it off.

IMG_2513_zps329bbdf6.jpg

So, what ya'll think? Are they ok colors?

Linda, so sorry to hear abut your knees. That is an awful pain because it just puts us right on the sidelines, doesn't it? Thanks, Pam It sure does... now you know why I can't do zumba or any other dance routines that I would love to do.. I tried the senior zumba and knees said no way!

I haven't experienced quite the level that you're describing, but I've had a few tweaks now and then that let me know I have knees, kwim? It's like every time I bend with a more than 90-degree squat (like getting down to try to fix something on a lower level), whoa nelly... they are stiff! Know exactly what you mean! That's how mine started years ago. Each year gets worse and weather changes wreck havoc with me. I think that is part of my dark circle problem around my eyes. I never had them before last year when the knee pain became so much worse. I still get down on my knees to scrub the floor and such, but every time it's harder and harder to get down and up. I won't have knee replacements...have had enough surgery and parts removed... I'll just stick with what God gave me unless they come up with better knees for women.

Hope you feel much better today.

As long as I don't do a lot of walking or climb stairs, I do ok. Not great, but ok. I have a high tolerance for pain, so when I'm feeling it I know it's bad.

It's awful getting old!:mad:

Here is a link to some photos of my African fabric purchases. tell me what ideas you have, OK?

http://s1094.photobucket.com/user/joby2/library/African%20fabrics

Kim,

I was posting as you were! lol... now no one has to wait!:D

I LOVE your fabrics!!!!! My fave is the gold/brown and aqua/turq!:cool:

How much yardage do you have?

Gonna go back and look a little more and then I'll tell ya what I think!

Looks like Anita posted at the same time. Anyway, I think these would make wonderful shift style sun dresses. Maybe with empire waist to show off those marvelous patterns. Just simple stlyes!

Edited by snuggles

Hey Linda! I'm glad you took the photos with your color cards...because the colors in the first photo look a bit muted to me, especially the patterns, but they seem to blend really well with the color cards!

I think you totally scored! I think the jacket looks great! Most zippers and grommets and things are silver in this world....unless they are on denim things and are that antique brass...but that seems to be rare.

Great job Linda! Can't wait to see photos of you in them!

Hey Linda! I'm glad you took the photos with your color cards...because the colors in the first photo look a bit muted to me, especially the patterns, but they seem to blend really well with the color cards!

I think you totally scored! I think the jacket looks great! Most zippers and grommets and things are silver in this world....unless they are on denim things and are that antique brass...but that seems to be rare.

Great job Linda! Can't wait to see photos of you in them!

Thanks Anita! I love these pieces. After I looked at the first photos I took, I knew I had to put the cards in because IRL the colors are so much more vibrant.

Linda,

My faves are the 2 blues and the yellow shirt. Also like the jacket. One of my favorite things about our FIRE colors are in the jackets and coats. Isn't it nice to be able to wear a nice bright jacket or coat when the weather is dreary and gray? I love that!

Photos soon????

My African materials---

Turquoise print-

12 yards X 90"

Tag says 100% cotton veritable angle wax fabric

This fabric feels much softer than the other two

Blue floral---

4 yards X 92"

Tag says A-Club super deluxe java print 100% cotton

This fabric has a shine to it and is much stiffer than the turquoise print

Blue plain---

70" X 92"

Tag says A-Club super deluxe java print 100% cotton

This fabric has a shine to it and is much stiffer than the turquoise print

Ideas?????

I've really been thinking about your fabric!

I find this to be quite a decision to make. The fabric is a major souvenir...and this trip has been an amazing trip for you...and even though you have great photos, this is a very tactile thing to have around. The choice of what to do with the fabric feels HUGE to me.

But this is what I do. I would stress over a decision like this!

Just to start this conversation...

Woven fabrics generally mean more fitted and/or tailored clothing. What I mean by that is clothing that includes things like zippers and buttons to enable you to put the clothing on and take it off.

Do you like shirts with buttons?

Do you like skirts?

Do you like dresses?

Do you want something for your home/non clothing?

Accessories?

You have a lot of fabric of the one and very little of the solid blue.

One clothing idea that comes to mind is based on a skirt that I used to own. If you google "Kariza Wrap Skirt" you might find an example of this skirt. It is one of those styles of skirts that you can wear so many different ways. Very simple. The beauty of the idea of a wrap skirt is that it is clothing without a size. So even if you lose a few or gain a few pounds, then you should still be able to use the skirt.

There are many, many different wrap skirt styles available.

But you have to enjoy wearing skirts. Since Debbie has shared that she loves wearing skirts...I would definitely recommend this for her without reservation, but for you Kim, IDK...I don't recall many photos of you in skirts...

But it might be a nice pool cover up type skirt thing...if you weren't really a skirt person.

Accessories would be relatively easy to think of as well...

It would be simple to make a scarf out of any of those fabrics.

You could look at all the fabric style accessories that have become popular. I don't think the fabric would hold up well in a handbag...you would want more of the wallet, etc. type accessories. People who sew these use stiff interfacing to give these things shape. You might try looking at Etsy to see what people are making? This might give you ideas?

You could have a hat made. A nice shade hat. I could totally see you in that for some reason? Hats in FIRE colors would be hard to come by. Mostly, they are EARTH, but you can make it work. Somehow I could see you on your adventures with a great FIRE colored hat! :)

And now here is ANOTHER idea...

How about a summer robe? Are you a robe person? It wouldn't have to be the only thing you did with the fabric...you could get a nice knee length robe with 3 yards according to one pattern I saw online. This would be something that you could use A LOT...and maybe it would always remind you of that fabulous OUTDOOR bathtub...and bring back memories of your trip.

And again, since this is wrap style clothing...it really wouldn't matter too much how your body changes over the years. Most robes are lined, so you could pick another cotton fabric that would be appropriate, whether it was a simple knit fabric or more of a terry cloth (like towel fabric).

I really like the robe idea....I'm a robe person though...

That might get the conversation started...many ideas brought up here...many questions...

So glad you posted, Anita :) Do you think any of the 3 pieces of fabric are truly FIRE colors and enough that I could use some as clothing?

I love the hat idea Would that be hard to make?) and, a skirt would be fine, as well as a dress. I just want it to be something I can wear most anywhere. Other than the wrap skirt you mentioned, do you have certain patterns or styles that you think might look good on me?

I also thought about place mats. I always have place mats on our table.

Do you have any comments on exactly which piece of fabric might look better as a certain thing, be it a dress, hat, etc.?

I don't really sew, so it would have to be something that I could have someone else do :o

This is exciting and you're right, I want it to be something that I can use and/or see a LOT and remind me of our wonderful trip! Thanks so much for thinking about this.

Other ideas?

I believe that the solid blue is FIRE. It just jumps out at me and seems warm and clear.

I think that the yellow/brown/blue print tends to EARTH...BUT when I see it with the solid blue...I could see it working as a skirt, or other bottom...or a dress with a true FIRE accent around the neckline. I know that Mom has made the slightly more EARTHy skirt work with FIRE tops successfully.

The tropical print is reading cooler to me. When I see it with the color cards...it seems to blend...but when I look at the fabrics together...that solid blue is screaming FIRE in the middle...the other print is blending warm...and the tropical is seeming a bit like the odd man out. BUT...it's impossible to say for sure...I'm thinking that the colors in that print are a mix...the background may be good but the white and the black...and then the yellow and the green...and that pinky, fushia color...I think it's a mix...a totally fun mix, but a mix nonetheless. IF you had a swimsuit that would pick up on one of the colors in that print...it would make a nice swim suit coverup skirt, but otherwise...you need to take some test shots close to the face with that one.

Placemats for sure. I would get a coordinating fabric for the tableside of the placemat. I know JoAnn's usually has a large selection of quilting fabrics. This is what you want. Another 100% cotton fabric. It might be more fun to do a runner? Or runner style placemats? Do you know what I mean by that? They are most often used across the short length of the table. So the one runner serves as placemats for the two people sitting opposite each other at the table?

Do you have a buffet? Or another kind of side table in your dining room area? I have a buffet that is difficult to find runners for because it is only 4" shorter than typical runners. So they look funny. If I want one that hangs just right down the sides, I would have to make it. That's another thought. A custom made something or other like that...for a buffet...an entry hall table?

I would definitely save at least a block of each fabric to make a quilt of some sort. If you keep collecting fabric, then you can make a very simple quilt with all your travel fabric. I do mean simple. Like a hand tied lap quilt...not a quilted one. Do you know what I mean by that?

Another idea...a custom tree skirt? For a Christmas tree? Do you have multiple trees? If you did, it might be fun to have a travel themed Christmas tree for one of your secondary trees? And you could make a tree skirt with panels of your travel fabric.

I have no idea how hard it would be to make a hat. I was picturing something like this:

http://vip.zappos.com/patagonia-canvas-sun-booney-fish-camo-classic-tan

I'd have to look around for a pattern. I think it would be great to use the golden pattern (I'm calling it) with the solid blue lining the brim. The solid blue would then reflect to your face making the hat super flattering. Personally, I also liked the hat string on this hat because it would help it stay put?

Let's talk more about the hat idea. Specifically, the style of the cap part of this patagonia hat. Notice that there are two seams that go from the front at just outside the eyebrows to the back of the head, creating one center panel and the two side panels.

There are two other cap styles. One that has a circle top and then another piece of fabric to form the sides of the cap. Like this one:

http://vip.zappos.com/prana-olivia-sun-hat-light-green

or this one:

http://vip.zappos.com/patagonia-womens-island-sun-hat-rockwall

And then a style that I think of as an umbrella style? Where there are several pieces of fabric that are pie-shaped, like this one:

http://vip.zappos.com/coal-anita-reversible-natural-sp13?zlfid=111&recoName=zap_pdp_acc

About this last link. It has the light neutral top with the blue underside. This is my suggestion for your hat...the solid blue underside with the fun print on the top.

I would recommend that you try on these different hat styles to see if you prefer one over the other.

Personally, I don't think the hat would be especially hard to make? There isn't any hardware to add...no button holes...no zippers. It's just piecing the fabric together. I think the hardest part of the hat would be all the top stitching...especially around the brim...because you would have to have the sewing lines be really straight or at least parallel to the other stitching lines. That finishing would be the difference in whether or not the hat looked professionally done or like a homemade project. KWIM? Anyone you know who is a good quilter would be good at making a hat IMO.

I kind of like this dress...I seems a bit like a Kim dress? If I had to pick a Kim dress?

http://vip.zappos.com/royal-robbins-cool-mesh-dress-rosehip

The wide straps...which aren't too close together...the button detail to help break up the bodice...the drop waist to be comfy...and a not too full skirt that wouldn't fly too much in the wind? The model has athletic sandals on...and it looks good! I don't know where the zipper is for this dress...but there has to be one. Either under the arm or down the back. This is a pretty decent example of a casual woven fabric dress.

Something like this might be really fun too!

http://vip.zappos.com/trina-turk-tunic-black

This would be a really GREAT swim suit cover up IMO. I could this from either of your fun prints. Just make sure that whatever accent fabric that runs along the neckline and around the waist is FIRE.

Another dress that you could use that golden print on:

http://vip.zappos.com/patagonia-iliana-halter-dress-veronique-paintbrush-red

What I would do is pair a true FIRE with the print...maybe grab the brown? Get a beautiful, rich, milk chocolate kind of brown? Use that for the straps and the bodice. Then use the print for the skirt. The A-line skirt could also be what you want. There can be more fabric in the skirt...to create a fuller skirt toward the bottom and over the belly/hip area...so that it would sit more comfortably. And if you work with someone for that bodice...they could sew cups into the bodice so that it functioned like a bra. I had that done for my wedding gown...AWESOME!!

I'm focusing on that golden print because you have A LOT of that fabric. So the decisions of what to make with it have more freedom because you can have a greater variety of things made from it.

I would check out Anthropologie for dress styles...they have a lot of dresses made from woven fabrics...show us styles that you like and we can talk about how you could use your fabric for them. For instance, this one:

http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/shopdress-viewall/27696079.jsp

Again...you could make that accent fabric at the neckline be a more true FIRE fabric. Now the neckline on this one is such that it says "pull over styling" so no zipper? Not sure about that, honestly...I'd have to try that on to make sure that there wasn't TOO much fabric at the waist so that it didn't add too many pounds with that extra fabric. I think the high, low style of skirt helps to have a maxi-style skirt without getting weighed down by too much fabric adding too many pounds again...KWIM? That A-line from under the bust...the skimming fabric in the skirt. This would be comfy and you could dress this up or down depending on your shoes and accessories.

I would shop the internet for styles...like I mentioned Anthropologie. To know if the dress will really work for your fabric, you want it to be made NOT from a knit or jersey. You need to see a dress in a woven fabric. If you see silk as the fabric? That's a possibility. Rayon. Nylon. Cotton, if it isn't t-shirt like fabric. Beware that if you see Spandex in the fabric...it may or may not work as well as the dress you are looking at.

This is so fun! I hope everyone else is enjoying this conversation. :o I'm very long winded! This is making me want to sew!

Whew :eek:

I don't know about anybody else, :rolleyes: BUT this is making me want you to sew as well!... FOR ME!...:p

OK. (1) made me want a travel Christmas tree: (2) made me want a placemat runner: (3) made me want a FIRE brimmed travel hat: (4) made me want a wrap dress: (5) made me want some more skirts!: (6) made me think, darn, why haven't I been buying fabric in all the places I've traveled?... oh yeah... I don't sew, but why did THAT stop me?!?

This is sooo awesome, Anita!!! Just what I needed to give me some direction. I'm quite clueless on design, kinds of material, etc. I don't think of you as long-winded at all. I could talk the leg off a wooden woman but, I hate to type--- thus my short answers :eek:

I agree with you on the materials, EARTH, ICE and FIRE. I thought about taking a piece of the floral material and trying to tea stain it and see what happens. It has a very shiny slick feel to it though and I wonder if it would take to the staining? My very favorite fabric is the one that has so much yardage. I really love that! It says "Africa" to me so much!

One of our students is flying into ATL to visit her sister for 2 weeks. I've got just the idea for you--- I'll send all my fabric and you can sew and design to your hearts content, and send back whatever you create :D

I love the Kim dress. Actually, I love all of the dresses you posted and the hats. The idea of combining and customizing different colors is great. I guess that is why one would sew, huh? Customizing is what it's all about! Didn't dawn on me-- see, I am just not a fashionista or designer! My talents go in another direction, I guess.

You have sent along such great examples, many thanks!!!

I was about to respond to both of you...but then I got off on a tangent and I need to ask the questions...

I've been researching your fabric a bit more. (I should be cleaning the kitchen and/or doing laundry, but what fun is that?). There is a difference in the manufacture of wax print v. Java print. The wax print is actually made using wax, or possibly resin, depending on who manufactured it, while the Java print doesn't. The result for wax is often more of a blurred and "non-registered" transition between the different colors of the fabric. The colors may bleed and be imperfect in their printing...and the different colors may overlap instead of being side by side. I'm not sure exactly how the Java print is created except that I read that there can be finer details with this style, which explains the more crisp nature of that floral print and the finer detailing on it because the colors stay in a designated space and don't overlap.

This could be why the one fabric feels "more African" to you...because it has that more handmade feel to it as opposed to the more "perfect" printing process of the other fabrics. The one floral may even feel a bit like a floral version of a Hawaiian print? Wax fabric sold in Africa is a result of traders and manufacturers trying to recreate the idea of the Batik prints for less cost. The results were imperfect, but this appealed greatly to the West Africans that appreciated the idea that no two bolts of fabric would be exactly the same. Java print would be another "improvement" on the process in order to get more crisp printing and improve the consistency of the fabric over different batches and bolts.

The question: Is the wax print, the softer fabric, printed on both sides? Or does it have an obvious right and wrong side? How about the Java print? Is there an obvious "wrong" side of the fabric?

Also...is there a border on the wax fabric?

More...

I think the two fabrics are shiny because of the manufacturing process. I THINK that it is similar to the effect of what happens to aluminum foil...where one side is shiny and one is dull, just because of the way that the foil is manufactured. I don't know why the fabric would be shiny...except for two things...

One could be some sort of chemical in the fabric that helps with the dyeing process. This may wash out? This chemical could also be why the fabric is stiffer and less soft than the other fabric. So washing may also make the fabric softer.

The other reason for the shiny could be the weave of the fabric. Have you heard of Sateen? This refers to the way that the fabric is woven...and the result is a shiny fabric.

So it could be that there is a chemical that helps with the dyeing process that makes the fabric stiff to help the pattern stay crisp and not bleed that will wash out creating a softer fabric...fabric that gets softer and softer with each washing.

This chemical may or may not also be the cause of the shine. The shine may stay if it is woven in the Sateen fashion.

Either way...you should wash the fabric before you tea stain it, if you want to try to tea stain it. Normally, cotton fabric, and other natural fiber fabrics, take very well to tea staining. The shine shouldn't be an issue...it's the material of construction, in this case, cotton, that really matters.

Edited by Anita Latte

Whew :eek:

I don't know about anybody else, :rolleyes: BUT this is making me want you to sew as well!... FOR ME!...:p

I know! I've been thinking it was time to work on those skirts again...I was excited about the new fabric for the underskirt for those one skirts and that was derailed when the fabric I bought to go with the one skirt of that type that I have didn't go...

This is sooo awesome, Anita!!! Just what I needed to give me some direction. I'm quite clueless on design, kinds of material, etc. I don't think of you as long-winded at all.

One of our students is flying into ATL to visit her sister for 2 weeks. I've got just the idea for you--- I'll send all my fabric and you can sew and design to your hearts content, and send back whatever you create :D

Yay! I'm glad that I'm helping. I love to be a helper. :cool:

Where in Atlanta? Are you serious? You know I would do it. You can write me at cc anita latte @ gmail dot com, with no spaces if you seriously wanted to talk about sending me some fabric for some projects.

I have to say it though. Mom has to get her skirts done first. :o

I went to a batik factory on St. Kitts; it was quite amazing. But, for the life of me, I cannot remember if the fabric has a definite front/back, right/wrong side to it. The process is exactly how you would think a "wax" process would be; the women sit down at a type of loom with the fabric stretched, and they proceed to apply wax where they want the pattern to appear. The wax is applied and removed in stages, so that the effect is really one of "building up" the design.

Whoa. You just don't know how much I wish we'd had this conversation before our trip! I never considered buying fabric, even though I was in this incredibly beautiful store. Of course, they weren't really selling the bolts as much as they were selling a finished piece... whether skirt, dress, or apron. (Hey, I came up with an idea for an APRON.) SCORE 1 FOR ME. I would totally love an apron in a tropical print.

Wow, I am definitely going to drag anyone and everyone with me into fabric stores. I need to know how much fabric I should buy to make various items. I probably would be interested in knowing how much for a skirt, Christmas tree skirt, apron, placemats, runner placemat. HA! I just hijacked Kim's post. I wonder if there are fabric stores in Tahiti? I'm going to have to research! I bet there are fabric stores in Hawaii! (maybe they would come from China?... I'd have to be careful, right?). And now I'm just being sarcastic. So.... I'll stop.

EDIT. Yes! I have to get my skirts done first. And, because he's sitting here and I'm sharing this conversation with him, your Dad just happened to mention that he gets his shirt (C-130) done next. And then maybe some chocolate chip cookies (only now from SIL rather than DD!).. whoops.. no smilies in edits.

Edited by Member123
Very Important Information & Opinions needed to be expressed

Mostly likely the fabric didn't have a "wrong" side. Fabric that is dyed using wax or resin requires wax on BOTH sides of the fabric so that the dye doesn't affect the one area of the fabric under the wax. If the wax was only on one side...then the print couldn't be created properly. This is another reason why there may be a sense of overlapping, because how precise will the placement of wax be from front to back? At least for what is called African Wax Fabric.

The interesting thing about the African Wax Fabric is that it wasn't started necessarily in Africa. It was started through all the trade...and the Dutch are credited with the different process that lead to the African Wax Fabric as an alternative to the more expensive Batik fabrics.

This could be why you saw a similar process in St. Kitts. Weren't the Dutch exploring the Caribbean too? Is St. Kitts Dutch?

And yes, China is in on the action. And there are made in China fabrics that are sold in places where you may wish to purchase a "native" fabric for a souvenir from that place. This doesn't even compare really...but the last time my family was in Disney's Epcot theme park...and we were visiting the different country pavilions, we were joking about how much of the merchandise sold in the different country areas was actually made in China. We wondered if the China pavilion would have made in China in it...and funny enough...the merchandise in China was mostly made in India.

LOL!

The question: Is the wax print, the softer fabric, printed on both sides? Or does it have an obvious right and wrong side? How about the Java print? Is there an obvious "wrong" side of the fabric?

Also...is there a border on the wax fabric?

Anita,

Thanks for the lesson :) both prints look the same on both sides. The floral print may be a little less colorful on the other side but it is not as shiny on the other side. The golden print looks the same on both sides.

No real border on either print, just 1/2" where the writing is.

I'll email you.

Pam,

I've been to the Batik factory on St. Kitts too. We loved it. I bought a piece of fabric there and when I got home I had it matted and framed. It's on our wall and is so pretty. One of my favorite souvenirs. Every time I look at it I think of St. Kitts and how much we enjoyed our time there!

I want to see all of your new projects!

What a fun conversation!!!!

What a fun conversation!!!!

Where have I been? I THOUGHT I was signed up for automatic instant email notification when someone posted on this thread. I just checked in and realized that I am soooo behind.

Love the shopping picture posts, Linda. Lots of great fire tops.

OOOH, finally! We get to see the Africa material!!!!!

I agree with Pam. Where's my sewing machine? I want to make a skirt and a hat and a runner and a tree skirt and placemats. Oh, an apron would be nice too. Is a tablecloth too old-fashioned? With 12 yards of the one fabric, there's lots of options.

I scanned everything, but didn't absorb much. I'll go now and read, but just wanted to let everybody know that I haven't dropped off the face of the earth. Since weekend time is camping time, I'll read as I can and be back on Monday to respond.