Stores that carry "FIRE" season clothing

Joby

232323232%7Ffp543%3C8%3Enu%3D3678%3E%3A%3C%3A%3E357%3E2769%3A%3C%3A44825%3Aot1lsi

A photo from last weekend's trip to Chicago. It was taken at "The Bean"--it's a gigantic silver bean sculpture in Millennium Park.

I also had some photos of our recent trip to Florida but, seemed to have accidentally deleted them :(

• 2 weeks later...
Linda, did you find the color cards at Lowe's? If so, what did you think?

Yes, I did find the cards. I brought home almost all of them because I was in a hurry and couldn't take time to go through and pick out what I thought were our colors. I've been away this week and am now just getting back to the cards. So far I think these would work. Blues- Princess Blue, maybe Blithe; Aquas- Bay, Beach Glass, Aqua Glass and Cockatoo,; Greens- Macaw Green and Tender Shoots; Yellow- Solar Power; Reds-Tangerine Tango and Tomato Puree; Apricot Ice, Nued and Echru. Not sure about Chili

What's your opinion. These sure changed colors after I got them home!

Aw Kim, I'm so sorry I missed seeing that great photo of you! I only got one photo while we were away and it was of a ..... are you ready.... TRAIN! of all things.... Weather was so crappy and I never got a photo of DH and I. We were celebrating our 43 anniversary in Lancaster, PA area.

Happy belated, Linda! 43 years--that's a long time AND you're still celebrating it seems--way to go :)

I didn't get all the colors like you did, wish I would have. I think I'll go back and get all of them tomorrow. I did think "Citrus" looked FIRE'ish too. I LOVE "Beach Glass". this could be a fun conversation and a useful piece of info if we get various opinions on the colors. I'm anxious to see what Anita comes up with on EARTH colors.

Thanks for the nice compliments on the photo :) The sweater/vest is one of my favorite FIRE combos that I have. I love Chicago, such a fun and exciting place to visit but, I don't think I would want to live in a city that large and busy!

I love Beach Glass also.. I think it's my fav. Oh yes, I think Citrus is a good one also. There were some cards missing from the rack and I don't know which ones they were I have 46 of the cards and will go through them a little better tomorrow if I get a few minutes.

Haven't had much time since I got back as we picked up some peaches on our way home and had to freeze them this am and get some of our cucumbers ready to pickle. Then out to my parents to check on them and find that my mother had fallen earlier this week and has a rather huge, badly bruised swollen face. She was going to bed and the table lamp decided to jump off the table and attack her! That's her tale I not buying. Anyway my father was there to try to help her up...it's like watching Laurel and Hardy with those two....Now Ollie! (I know some of you aren't old enough to know who I'm talking about, but they were so funny!) Mom says she is fine and face is not sore just looks worse than it is, but I worry about her.

Anyway...life is busy. I go back to work tomorrow.:(

Hi, all....

Ladies....

We have been doing this for a few years now. Does anyone still struggle with "falling off the wagon?" I do! In fact, I'm in a huge debate right now because I have a super challenging situation in my wardrobe. I have plenty of tops.. but no bottoms! This makes for a real puzzle in dressing!

I have one pair of sand-colored capris with gold that I love. BUT, they are really baggy on me now. And, I have a few skirts... but that's the extent of my FIRE bottoms wardrobe.

I am about ready to take the first step down the other side of the slippery slope. Look at these pants from Cache!

http://www.cache.com/detail/tropical-print-crop-pant/T1060A70214970/19

I think they are super cute! I think that they would look really good with some of my yellow tops. Maybe I'm not going to get them because of the reviews: they have to be dry-cleaned, and they wrinkle easy so not good for travel, and they have too much stretch in them so they lose shape during wear. BUT, I'm so desperate that I still haven't decided that I shouldn't. I guess I don't care that they have a white, white background and aren't my season. Whatever!

Does someone need to talk me off the ledge?

Hi, all....

Ladies....

We have been doing this for a few years now. Does anyone still struggle with "falling off the wagon?" I do! In fact, I'm in a huge debate right now because I have a super challenging situation in my wardrobe. I have plenty of tops.. but no bottoms! This makes for a real puzzle in dressing!

I have one pair of sand-colored capris with gold that I love. BUT, they are really baggy on me now. And, I have a few skirts... but that's the extent of my FIRE bottoms wardrobe.

I am about ready to take the first step down the other side of the slippery slope. Look at these pants from Cache!

http://www.cache.com/detail/tropical-print-crop-pant/T1060A70214970/19

I think they are super cute! I think that they would look really good with some of my yellow tops. Maybe I'm not going to get them because of the reviews: they have to be dry-cleaned, and they wrinkle easy so not good for travel, and they have too much stretch in them so they lose shape during wear. BUT, I'm so desperate that I still haven't decided that I shouldn't. I guess I don't care that they have a white, white background and aren't my season. Whatever!

Does someone need to talk me off the ledge?

Pam, these are cute, but.... here it comes....I had a pair of capris similar to this several years ago and I ended up giving them to Goodwill as I just didn't wear them because they wrinkled and bagged so much.

Just MHO, but I wouldn't buy them for 2 of the reasons listed.. They wrinkle and stretch to much. After CJW, I made a pact with myself that clothes have to answer all 4 questions before I purchase them and so far I'm doing great with it.

#1 Is it in my color palate? They HAVE to work with all things I have in my closet or drawers. Otherwise money wasted.

#2 Do they wrinkle easily..If I do the fist squeeze does it wrinkle... if so I back away no matter how cute they are because I hate to ironing and looking frumpy!

#3 Do they HAVE to be dry cleaned or can they be washed in cold water. If Dry clean only...back away. I don't have the $$ to dry clean all the time. It's wash & wear or nothing for me. Sometimes the material they use is really crappy stuff that must be dry cleaned or it falls apart upon washing. Been there, done that!

#4 Fit. I want a little bit of a snug fit that's comfortable. If they stretch to much when trying on when I sit on the chair in the dressing room, image how much stretch you have after wearing several hours, especially after sitting for a length of time(sagging butt or bagging knees!)..or if they are to tight the seams will bust!:eek:

IMHO I'd keep looking ~ for me anyway.:D

Linda, you hit the nail on the head. I agree with everything you said, in toto.

Pam, come on back inside, honey. You don't want to be outside on that ledge as windy as it is today. It'll mess up your hair!

Sooo, (1) they have to be dry-cleaned, (2) they wrinkle easy, so not good for travel, (3) they have too much stretch in them, so they lose shape during wear, (4) they have a white, white background and (5) aren't my season. These sound like the perfect pants for you, Pam! NOT! I don’t want to make you feel like I’m bashing you; just wanting to show you a little tough love. You are right, they sure are pretty pants, and you need pants, but you don’t need these pants.

If the bottom fits around my waist, I can wear it. It may not be the most attractive form-fitting look of the last couple of years, but it works. The looser fit of dressy work slacks are not a big deal for me. I don’t have to worry whether the hips or thighs in that pair of pants will be too tight. My hips and thighs are not my problem. The problem that you have with bottoms is the same problem I have with my tops. I feel your pain.

Oh, it’s not like I don’t have tops. I’m not down to less than ten to choose from. Oh, no! My problem is the kagillion tops I have in my closetS, with nothing to put on that looks good. Either it highlights my fat arms, highlights my fat middle, or is a plain top when I need something a little dressier or is too dressy to wear casually. I don’t seem to know the right balance of what to buy to look decent in that middle-of-the-road not too casual/not too dressy type of clothing that I see others wearing. I find things that I think will work, but for one reason or the other, I’m spending enormous amounts of money on things that DON’T really work. And, I’m trying SOOO HARD!!! I have the colors in my brain. I think. But style and material have become my latest hang-ups. The material is too thin, too thick; the style is too busy (patterned), too matronly, too childish, too long, too short…. Well, you get the idea. I don’t think I’m being unreasonable, but why should I buy crap when I have enormous amounts of crap already hanging in my closet? I know I need to re-lose some weight, but why do I dress, look in the mirror and suddenly feel like I should be applying for a door-greeter position. Some days I look awful! I. Look. So. Sad.

Am I looking at the wrong items or the wrong places, or both? I thought when I got the color thingy figured out that I'd be home free. This is still so very hard for me. I'm seriously considering the 333 project. Maybe I can concentrate on making 33 items the very best they can be and then work a few extra items back in to the rotation as seasons dictate. Has anybody tried the 333 yet?

Debbie! Wow, if you and I could go shopping together, we'd have so much fun... because we'd end up going for a drink to drown our sorrows! :cool:

No kidding.

My sweet Grandma had a saying that just sums up my feelings sometimes. She said, "that makes me so mad, I just want to spit." :confused: What did that mean?!? But, it makes perfect sense when you are just that mad or that frustrated.

Anyway, it's a cycle. Sometimes I struggle with the whole body image and aging aspects of shopping. Especially the aging aspects... because as much as I don't want to admit it, there's a real difference in how clothing looks on a more <ahem> mature person than a younger one; there comes a time when you just can't pull off the look of a hem that is too short, among other issues.

Confession. I went to the store and tried on the pants! Even after I read Linda's words and knew she spoke truth! I still went... well, just to see. And, boy, what a shakeup. First, didn't fit well anyway. Second, wasn't at all flattering on me. Third, I was in a dang dressing room with those dang, stupid lights that make me look like death warmed over. I got so depressed! Ugh.

The biggest problem that I have in trying to find pants that fit is to find really nice skinny leg pants that have a higher waistband so that I don't get a muffin top created. Because of the additional 10 pounds of weight that I lost, I have some major skin sag issues that just gets displaced higher if I try to zip and close those darn pants that sit below your navel. It's so ugly and so darn depressing. And, I don't want to look matronly! And those higher waisted pants are so darn aging in their styling. For one thing, when you get a higher waist then you usually get a saggy butt and too much fabric in the thighs. Ugh.

So, the salesperson brought in a really beautiful tropical print dress... which I of course need because I'm sailing through the South Pacific Islands. And, maybe it was our colors?!? So, I tried it on... and, boy, wasn't that special! The tropical print had some beautiful flowers and... guess what?... one decided to bloom... just... there... yes, just over my pubic bone... such a GREAT look. :rolleyes: And, you know, once you see something like that... there's just no going back. She asked me how it fit and I told her the situation and she just didn't even argue! She said, "oops".... and back on the rack it went.

So, in the spirit of making myself feel better, I went to Teavana and bought some tea! Yes, I did! Well, I've been wanting some great tea for a while; who needs bottoms when they have TEA?!?

End of shopping.

Anyway, thank you for your words of wisdom; your WoWs. I know what you're saying. I'm so sorry that you continue to have problems with your wardrobe, Debbie. I do, too. Makes me want to spit. :D

Pam you are hysterical! I just spit my green tea all over the keyboard! I'm pretty much in the same situation except I think I have a few more years on you!

Isn't it funny how those little things like blooming flowers ruin a shopping trip! I tried a dress on the other day. It was the right colors, style and fit really nice until DH said to take a look in the 3 way mirror at my back. Yep...same situation 2 flowers bloomed rith smack dab on both my butt cheeks!:eek: Good thing he was with me or I never would have seen it until I got home!

Anyway..I've put a few pounds on and so I have muffin top with my pants no matter what.. hence I wear tops that are not tight and are more of tunic style right now. I like pants that have a looser fit because of my excess stomach and thigh...fat....That's where my weight goes...If you ever saw the dancing hippos in tutus from Disney's Fantasia...That's ME! Hippo_girl_2.gifI don't wear belts either.

I did find a really nice pair of pants at Boscov early this spring that are bright coral and they have some stretch to them. They are the most comfortable pants I have right now, but I do feel self consious in them because of my age.:o I'm still trying to get used to some of the brighter colors in our palette.

Any my grandmother, mother and I have always said "I'm so mad I could spit!" sometimes Nails or tacks are added!

Edited by snuggles

I'm just barging in from the earth board, here. :D We all need an intervention sometimes!

I can do pretty good with the color part. After all my work with Curt, he has really helped me to realize that certain styles do not look good on me. Where do I slip up?

Well....I have what I will kindly call a massive bust line. I can tell you exactly what you don't want: a high neckline. As a matter of fact, I really have to have a v-neck or scoop neck, and the main style this year are all the high necklines! I'm really struggling to find things that don't make me look like an inverted isosceles triangle.

Oh, and capris are not flattering at all. Shorts, with a 6 inch inseam are great, then pants. I can't help it, if it's warm and I think I have razor stubble on my legs, the capris go on! There I said it.

Laura, I have the same problem. Inverted triangle, yep, that's me. Instead of 36-24-36, I'm a size 16-size 14-size 12, but I've realized that v-necks are my friend too. I also discovered that I've gotten on a drape-neck kick lately because every single one of the tops I took on my last trip had a draped neckline. Well, at least I'm being consistent!

I try to column dress. Top and bottom the same color with an over-top of color. Even if it’s just a cami or tank under an unbuttoned shirt, it seems to work. My tops need to stop where my torso joins my leg. In other words, if I bend my leg it should be touching the hem of my tops. Rather than crop pants, I need to wear pants that stop just below my knee and are fitted. I don’t mean tight, I just mean fitted to my leg. Regardless of where the pant leg ends, if it flares out---SOOO not a good look for me. Because I wear my tops on the outside of my pants, the pant waist height isn’t such a huge issue. Sometimes I just adjust where I wear the waistband of the pants to best accommodate the stride. All my old pants from the mom-jean days have gone away though. You just couldn’t readjust enough to take up all that slack in the seat and leg areas. I always, always wear a belt if I can because it helps to corral that little (sure, it’s little) muffin-top that wants to overhang if I don’t cinch it down and inside.

Ok, I'll warn you in advance. This may qualify as TMI. I woke up one morning (I think it was in April) before shorts season this year and looked in the mirror. Shocker-wocker! Where did all that loose skin come from? I have it under my arms. I have it sliding down my legs. My knees even look wrinkly. I never understood when I read a post from someone on the fashion board when they said, "I don't wear shorts anymore. I wear capris. They are now my shorts." Boy, do I understand now. I have a couple of pairs of shorts, but they are strictly reserved for the campground and 100+ weather. Nobody cares what you look like in that kind of heat. But I basically don't GO anywhere in shorts anymore. The sad thing is, I didn't realize that day would come. You know, it's kind of like when the old folks would tell me that the days would get shorter and shorter, but I never understood because there always has been and always will be 24 hours in every day. I just didn’t understand until it was too late. If I had known I wouldn't be able to wear shorts, I think I would have tried to enjoy it more while I had it. This gravity thing really, really sucks!!!

Pam, your Grandma said that? Heck, I often say, "makes me so mad that I could just spit!" Ladies would never ever spit, so I think it means that you get so mad that you forget yourself and your lady-like manners for just an instant. Well, long enough to spit anyway!

I feel your shopping angst. It's been humiliating for me that I can't seem to find anything when I try to shop! I keep saying that I'm not buying clothes until I wear out and get rid of more items in my wardrobe, but I have bought a couple of things this summer, although not nearly as many as in years past. I made myself a promise that if I take it out of my closet, try it on and don’t wear it out of the house that it must go in the donation pile. If it doesn’t look right today, it’s not going to look right in the future.

My next move is to take everything out of the closet, clean the closet and only put back in what I absolutely love. I must also clean out my dresser so that all my undergarments can be put in the dresser. I know it’s time to work this plan because of the funny story that happened this week. I knew it was only a matter of time.

DD, DSL, and my bestest gifts, DGD and DGS were planning to use our camper while we were gone to Alaska. I usually keep camping clothes and business casual clothes (for work) at the campground, but I had cleaned out my closet so they’d have a little extra space to hang things if they wanted.

We occasionally spend the evening at the campground during the week. DH finishes up his work, drops the equipment at the house, takes a quick shower and comes to my office at closing time so we can leave a vehicle and carpool to the campground. This week has been the most perfect weather. Yesterday was 77/53. Today was 78/58. We don’t have that kind of weather in August. Heck, a lot of years, we don’t get that kind of perfect weather in September!

I had one work outfit at the campground. No problem. BUT, we decided to stay again last night. I could run home for clothes, but since he’s coming from home, I’ll just have DH bring a pair of slacks for work the next day. It won’t be jean casual Friday for me, but I’ll cope, and I have plenty of tops and jackets at the camper that will work.

He picked a pair of brown pants while I gave specific instructions to him on the phone. He arrived with my pair of brown t-shirt weight leggings that I use as long underwear. Really? Did that even look like a pair of slacks, a pair of dress slacks??? Could you imagine that spectacle if I had worn them? So, today, I’m really, really casual. I’m wearing a pair of brown cargo capris, a brown T, and an aqua t-shirt weight jacket. I’ve tried to tie it all together with a casual yellow scarf that has lots of bright aqua, lime green, and pinky peach threads to coordinate everything together and try to lift it from its uber-casual level, but I’m afraid the camo ballet flats may just be the icing on the cake. If you think I look like a hot mess, I’ve given you an accurate description.

I just put that on a fashion board. I think I’ve lost my mind!

Happy Weekend Everybody!!! --Debbie

This conversation is cracking. me. up. OMG. I don't have a story of shopping woe because I haven't been shopping in forever...HOWEVER.

All the talk of flowers reminds me of a sweater I got for Christmas when I was in 4th grade? Mom gave me the Clown Sweater. The sweater was like the head of a stereotypical clown. The upper arms on the sleeves had the curly red hair...like yarn in loops. From the shoulder seam to the elbow. Big poofy red sleeves. The face of the clown was on the torso... I didn't wear it too often. It was an oversized sweater and so it lasted through some growing. I tried to wear it again after I had...ahem, developed a bit...and I don't remember WHO made the comment...but someone did about how my clown's eyes were bugging out! :eek:

This was the sweater...I am amazed by what I have found trying to find this picture...

clown.jpg

I don't know if a photo exists of me wearing this...

Hi, everyone,

So, I'm sitting here with a face that goes along with Anita's sweater!... but not by choice.

Have you heard about Sephora's Color-IQ Foundation matching service? Let me tell you how you can really, really screw up this device! In case you haven't heard, Sephora has partnered with Pantone and they've developed a sort of camera, hand-held device that is supposed to be placed on your skin in a few key locations... your jawline, your cheeks, your forehead. The device takes a bunch of pictures, not that you see just within the device's memory, and then proceeds to match up the pictures with a four-digit number. This four-digit number starts with the numbers from 1 (light) to 5 (darker, more saturated pigment) and then either the letter R (yes, for Red) or the letter Y (you guessed it! Yellow). If you are a really, really yellow person you'll have something like a 5Y and if you're just slightly pink, you'll have something like a 1R. Then, there's another two digits that are going to be numbers, ranging from 01 (porcelain) to 15 (deep mahogany or deep, Caribbean black type of skin).

You'd think that I'd be about a 1 or 2 YELLOW, Right? Nope. Got pegged as a 1R, which means that I'm a RED undertone... which, of course, means that I have COOL skin! :( Followed, by an 07 which means that I have more pigmentation in my skin! What?!? :(

So, the makeup artist proceeds to put this foundation "matchy" match on my face and tells me how wonderful I look! So, of course, I get a sample... well, I didn't want to hurt her feelings, did I?... AT LEAST I DIDN'T BUY IT! RIGHT, GIRLS?!? AT LEAST, I'M LEARNING A LITTLE BIT! :p

So, I came home and looked in the mirror and thought... I can't tell! But, I don't believe this is working for me. As the light has changed throughout the day here, my face is looked redder and redder and darker and darker... and now it totally looks like my face doesn't belong to me; in the sense that it's an absolutely different color than my chest.

Here's where I "went wrong." You ladies know that color from the cards that CJW called a Medium Warm Violet? Well, I was wearing an exercise top in that color. I absolutely think that is such an intense color that it was throwing the violet onto my face and altering the readout from that device. PLUS, the makeup artist took readings from my CHEST, CHEEKS, and FOREHEAD...so, of course, the violet was throwing quite a bit of color onto my chest.

Oh well.

I have to go wash my face. I may try this again... or maybe not.

It's not that far away. We leave for our trip on the 3rd of October.

Considerations for this trip: (1) Flight days, there are 3 and one is a long-haul flight. We go from PHX to HNL, SYD to HNL, and then HNL to PHX. The consideration for the first leg is that I will be traveling early in the morning and arrive in Hawaii around noon; I'll be going from warm to warm. From Sydney to Hawaii is a long haul flight at night. The weird thing is that we leave on Saturday night and arrive on Saturday morning! Weirder than weird, actually. And then the last leg is another warm to warm transit and a who-cares-what-I-wear-home situation. My goal for the flights is to be comfortable, so I'm thinking yoga type clothing.

We have some land days: 2 days in Hawaii, 4 days in Sydney, 3 days in Hawaii (to help get over all the time zone changes). We have a LOT of sea days; all of our ports of call are intensely water related, so mainly swimsuit and coverup type of clothing required.

The conflict that I have is, of course, in trying to pack light and also to satisfy my desire to look stylish and have fun with my wardrobe. I've been doing a bunch of reading at the packing light sites and I've been reading the opinions of people on this forum about packing light. What is it about the light packers that gives them the tonal quality to their voice of being so darn stubborn in their approach to packing that they really come off as borderline offensive and rude? What is that all about on a Fashion Forum?!?

Anyway, I don't know if you ladies know that my daily life is pretty much non-imaginative when it comes to dressing in anything but work out clothes. So, going on a vacation is really uplifting for me! It's the time when I really outdo myself in my clothing and my makeup. If I didn't have that aspect to my vacation, I would really miss it! I love to get dressed up in the early evening and go to the cocktail hour(s) on board; I love to get dressed for the dining room. I just love that aspect of cruising.

And what is the biggest problem with getting dressed in the evening?!? That would be SHOES! OMG. Shoes just make the outfit sometimes. I love Laura's statement necklaces... on HER... those heavy necklaces around my neck just don't stay on my body... I can't stand the feel of them and the weight of them... I think that I use SHOES in the same way that Laura uses her statement necklaces: I've done that all my life. For my whole life. (GS comes to mind here).

I have managed to put together 15 evening outfits. Did I mention that the cruise is an 18-night cruise? I think we'll have 3 formal nights. Well, I'm only planning for 3 formal nights; let's put it that way. In my 15 outfit ensemble, I am doing it with basically 9 tops, 4 bottoms that are rotating; in other words, I will be wearing 1 top with 3 different bottoms... mix and match... THEN, I have some skirts that Anita made me ages ago and I'm taking 3 of those that go with the tops that are in rotation, but the skirts will only really pair with 1 of the tops and look fabulous. Make sense?

The colors are AMAZING! With the color palettes that we have, everything works with everything really; it's just that some work BETTER with some things than others. Here's my list:

Bottoms: animal print skirt, sand capri, khaki (tan) pants, a light warm navy print pant

Tops: coral, animal print, tangerine, turquoise, yellow, bright yellow halter, ivory, red, chocolate

Uh-oh. Here come the shoes. 5 PAIR! And, that doesn't count the ones that I'm going to have to pack that are for special circumstances: water shoes, walking shoes, Rykas for Zumba. I know what you're thinking... so just let me tell you that I can't use the Rykas in place of the walking or vice versa. Ugh.

The shoes! Turquoise suede sandals, gold gladiator sandals, multi-metallic (mostly gold) heels, bronze strappy heels, red heels.

Too much?!?

Drat! Am I the only one that feels like chatting?!?

So, here's my latest conundrum. What would you do?!?

I have two pretty long plane flights coming up. The flight from Phoenix to Hawaii is 6 hours, pretty doable. But, the flight from Sydney to Hawaii is brushing up against 11 hours, definitely not looking forward. It's also an overnight flight... well, it's supposed to be a sleeping flight, but that is just an awful concept for me. I have such a hard time sleeping when I'm not laying down...

Anyway, here it comes. I've figured out that the best clothing to wear on the plane (since I can't really wear my PJs) is to wear a yoga pant, a non-underwire (athletic bra), comfy 3/4-sleeve tunic top. Hopefully, I'll be able to try to sleep in this outfit and arrive in a not-too-rumpled condition. Our flight leaves around 9:00pm and arrives at 8:30am THE SAME DAY. That's so freaky and weird. I think I've already mentioned that.

So, color ladies... of course I can't find anything that is remotely close to our palette! Not even remotely. I have found loads of yoga pants in EARTH colors and, of course, black. What would you do? In this instance, does comfort trump all other considerations? Kim, what did you wear on your flights to Africa? Were you comfortable? Are you wearing the same thing on your upcoming flights?

An inquiring mind wants to know....

And, where is everybody?

Edited by Member123
because I typed "udder wire" bra which is really kind of funny