Question that makes me think.... yikes!

Suzi4

Hello everyone.

This is my first time cruising Celebrity, I am very excited about this, it will be my eighth cruise so I am not new to cruising, however it will be my Nephews first cruise. We are doing a European cruise on Oct 15 2010. I need to add this trip is VERY last minute. My Nephew is very excited about the cruise.

My problem…. We are flying within Europe and the weight allowance for luggage is far less then it is in the States. We have a limit of 40 pounds. We are doing a 10 pre-cruise vacation and a 3-day post cruise trip. It includes Switzerland, Germany Amsterdam and Paris. The weather at these places will be much cooler ( Temp 50's 40's) then our Mediterranean cruise. We will need to pack sweaters and heavier clothes, we will be layering clothes for the most part. Trying to explain why I am asking this question.

Here is my question, formal night (yes, yikes!) Would it be expectable for my Nephew to wear a dress shirt, dress pants and tie without a jacket? Maybe a black shirt with tie so he does not stand out?

Please know I love formal nights and my Nephew loves to dress up too. I would HATE him to miss this night, being his first cruise and knowing how much he enjoys things that involve him dressing up. We simply don’t have room for his tux, by the way, he does own a tux.

Would it be okay, not to wear a jacket?

Thank you all in advance for you thoughts on this matter

Suzi4

You don't mention how old your nephew is. If he is a child, I think a dress shirt and tie would be acceptable, but for a teen maybe not. Have you considered renting a tux on board? Don't stress over it - have a wonderful time.

Hello :)

My Nephew is 28 years olds

I have thought about renting a Tux, but wonder if would be okay without a jacket. Try to do private tours an added way too much to this trip, trying to keep cost down. But I might need to.

Thank you Suzi4

Hello everyone.

This is my first time cruising Celebrity, I am very excited about this, it will be my eighth cruise so I am not new to cruising, however it will be my Nephews first cruise. We are doing a European cruise on Oct 15 2010. I need to add this trip is VERY last minute. My Nephew is very excited about the cruise.

My problem…. We are flying within Europe and the weight allowance for luggage is far less then it is in the States. We have a limit of 40 pounds. We are doing a 10 pre-cruise vacation and a 3-day post cruise trip. It includes Switzerland, Germany Amsterdam and Paris. The weather at these places will be much cooler ( Temp 50's 40's) then our Mediterranean cruise. We will need to pack sweaters and heavier clothes, we will be layering clothes for the most part. Trying to explain why I am asking this question.

Here is my question, formal night (yes, yikes!) Would it be expectable for my Nephew to wear a dress shirt, dress pants and tie without a jacket? Maybe a black shirt with tie so he does not stand out?

Please know I love formal nights and my Nephew loves to dress up too. I would HATE him to miss this night, being his first cruise and knowing how much he enjoys things that involve him dressing up. We simply don’t have room for his tux, by the way, he does own a tux.

Suzi4

Yes it would be ok , even if he is a teen. If he looks presentable and dressed up (shirt, tie and slacks is dressier than casual) he will be fine, he won't be turned away for not having a jacket.

Suzi - one option is to rent the formalwear from the ship. The cost is reasonable and it solves the packing issue. There's info on Celebrity's website.

You are a wonderful aunt! I had an aunt and uncle who included me in several extended vacations and I still treasure those memories.

Hello everyone.

Suzi4

Should not be a problem- as long as he is neat/presentable, As for the extra weight-if its a great deal of extra heavy clothes consider UPS or Fed Ex a suitcase to your 1st stop. Check with your hotel to get exact shipping info-usually to their Receiving Dept. That being said there are many light weight but warm fabrics that work into your wardrobe . Check the weather-there is global warming & usually cool spots have been warmer lately.

Carole

I just returned from a cruise on the Solstice last week. On the first formal night, there was a young couple (20's) ahead of us on the Select Dining line. The maitre d' asked the young man to put on a jacket. He replied that he did not have one and the maitre d' said that they would get him one. The couple was then led to a table and I don't know what happened after that.

Rosa

Every post has been helpful and I want to thank each of you for taking the time to reply. If weight were not a problem, I would never ask.

Last time I flew within Europe I had to pay an extra 489 euros! Plus toss out some things I really didnt want to. We bought too much and brought too much. I had taken my Neice and she had packed 5 formal wear dresses and like 10 high heels shoes! (she was 22, hope that explains) I wasnt aware she had packed so much. And we were getting ready to board a plan, no time to mail anything! This time I am keeping a wise eye on weight. I never want the stress of tossing stuff out again. Was a small nightmare at 7:00 am! LOL

I going to ask him to bring his bag packed to my house and see what he has packed and what the weight is, if I feel we have room we'll bring a jacket or his tux.

I just don't want him feeling out of place.

Again, thank you all very much

Suzi4

If the nephew were a child or even younger teen, I would say "No big deal". But 28 is definitely an adult and he really should adhere to the Celebrity policy. A tux is not necessary, but he should have a jacket.

I think wearing the jacket on the plane is a good idea. He can even carry it on with his carry-on luggage and then stow it in the overhead bin.

What airline are you flying. I think our weight limit to Europe is still 50 lbs, with the carry-on being 40.

I don't think the restriction is on the flight to Europe - it's on the flights within Europe. I have had friends that did tours within Europe that had the same issue - something like a 44 lb limit on domestic flights within Europe.

I don't think the restriction is on the flight to Europe - it's on the flights within Europe. I have had friends that did tours within Europe that had the same issue - something like a 44 lb limit on domestic flights within Europe.

Thank you, I missed that! ll Had a little procedure done today where I was put to sleep. Still woozy from that, and not reading clearly. ;)

Suzi - one option is to rent the formal wear from the ship. The cost is reasonable and it solves the packing issue. There's info on Celebrity's website.

You are a wonderful aunt! I had an aunt and uncle who included me in several extended vacations and I still treasure those memories.

I too would like to say what a wonderful Aunt I think that you are! I grew I up with a very special Aunt and Uncle living next door to me. They often included me with them on vacations and trips. I was 16 years younger than their only child (daughter). When I was in my teens their daughter would invite me to spend the summers with she and her family, they were a military family so I was able to see a lot of different states and I could help her with her young children - they too were WONDERFUL to me! These special gifts of kindness are never forgotten!:)

I think it would be wonderful if you could rent him a tux from the company that provides them to the cruise line. There would be no packing issues and he would not have to worry about not being dressed properly.

HAVE A TERRIFIC TRIP!!!!

Your nephew can easily wear the jacket (sport or suit) on the plane and hang or store it during the flight. At 28, I think that would be the most age appropriate and easiest for him. Persoanlly I wouldn't rent a tux for him. It isn't what the majority wears and you will save that hundred or so dollars for other cruise neccessities. Most men will be wearing dark suits and a lower percentage of tuxes and sportcoats. Maybe 2% wearing no jacket. Very few and some not being allowed into the MDR without.

Renting a tux is the best way to go. DH has rented tuxes for the last several cruises, and he loves the convenience. It's waiting in your cabin when you arrive, it's pressed and clean, fits well, and your steward takes it away after the last formal night. Plus you save lots of room in your luggage.

I agree that at 28 he should wear a jacket. Our son age 30 wore a dark suit not tux and fit in. He would not have felt comfortable wearing just a shirt and tie. If he carries his jacket on the plane and it get wrinkled the pressing charges on the ship are very reasonable.

Archived