Your Time Dining - True Perceptions (Experiences) from Cruisers

Synthetic

OK - while I did see a few posts on this subject already, I felt it called for a more pointed thread. Here is the scoop:

I am going on my 32nd cruise in December (I'm cruising in Nov also but the people I am going with want early seating with a reserved table) and have heard so many rave reviews about Your Time Dining that I am contemplating trying it out. Having been on so many cruises with seated dining, I am excited yet concerned about the concept. Below are a couple questions:

1. Does it feel like you are at a restaurant and simply didn't make reservations so they give you a buzzer?No, it felt like going to a wonderful restaurant. Never was given a buzzer.

2. I am assuming you are tabled with whomever happens to be trying to eat when you do, is this true?We were always sat at a table for 4. Never had to share a table with anyone else

3. What are the table sizes for this type of dining?The ones that I saw were tables for 4, and then tables for 2, but the tables for 2 had about 6 inches between each other, so you could talk to other people if so inclined

4. For experienced cruisers - do you feel this detracts from your cruise experience? (We've often taken in shows with our tablemates, etc.)We loved it, so much so, we are doing it again next month! We met people, had dinner with them if they were open seating or just met them at the show

5. For those who have tried it and liked it, what are your top 3 reasons you liked it.1. I eat when I want to. 2. I eat with who I choose. 3. If I don't like my waiter, I get another one the next night!

6. For those who have tried it and did not like it, what are your top 3 reasons for not liking it?

Thanks in advance for all of your insight....

---Buzz

Hope that helps!

we chose late dining when we booked our cruise.. does that mean we are bound to only show up for late dining or can we do any time dining and forgo the late dining?

If you choose late dining, then that is when you have to eat. If you want to change it, call your PVP or TA and see if it is still available.

I am sold on Anytime Dining.. As someone stated, early was too early and late was too late.. We eat between 7 and 8 and have always been seated right away. In my experience, there has been no difference in the waitors as far as service.. They have all been great.. I first experienced no set time dining on NCL and always missed it on Carnival. I am thrilled it is now an option..

1. Does it feel like you are at a restaurant and simply didn't make reservations so they give you a buzzer?

No. We have never received a buzzer.

2. I am assuming you are tabled with whomever happens to be trying to eat when you do, is this true?

no - we always go for a table for 3 and have no problems. One time we showed up with a family we met on the cruise and they set up a table for us to dine together.

3. What are the table sizes for this type of dining?

They have all sizes - 2 to bigger.

4. For experienced cruisers - do you feel this detracts from your cruise experience? (We've often taken in shows with our tablemates, etc.)

No - but we really hate dining with people we don't know so we are biased.

5. For those who have tried it and liked it, what are your top 3 reasons you liked it. I like the assurance that we will eat by ourselves. I like the fact that we have no set time, we can go there when we want. and I like the fact that the service has been great.

6. For those who have tried it and did not like it, what are your top 3 reasons for not liking it?

Not applicable for us :o)

Hope you have a great cruise!!

We love YTD, because.....

We can eat when we're hungry.

Only one time, on a formal night were we given a buzzer. It was no big deal.... we wanted a table for 2 by the window, and realised we'd probably have to wait. It was about 20 minutes.

We asked for a 2-top beside a window every night.... and usually got what we wanted right away.

We don't like making small-talk with people every night... we don't care where you're from, what you do for a job, how many kids or grandkids you've got. You could be the nicest people in the world.... but DH and I like eating alone.

Hayburn... try it.... you'll like it!

I feel that for me it enhances my cruise experience. While I love people, I am not very fond of eating with strangers (even though they aren't truly strangers after a day or so.) I have an issue with the manners that some people exhibit while eating (chewing with their mouth open, shoveling food into their faces like a backhoe, smacking, crunching, and most other "eating noises.") I know this makes me sound like I'm b*tchy but I promise I'm not. I really wish I didn't have these issues. I just can't help it. Eating noises (even from myself sometimes) makes me nauseous if it's too loud. I know that people who have poor manners like that are few and far between. It's just been my luck in the past to always get seated with one and I always felt guilty for staring down at my plate, trying to not hear and/or see them as they ate. By dining with only the people I travel with (who all know about my issue), it is less stressful for me. If I have to get up and leave the table, they understand, etc. Now -- I realize that not everyone is like me. In fact, probably no one is. LOL For those that enjoy the aspect of meeting and potentially making friends with their dining companions, YTD might not be the right choice. For me -- it's the only choice.

Julia - Love that movie BTW - I am right there with you! It makes me crazy and yes, a little nauseous to hear any kind of sound from tablemates. Heavy breathing through the nose, smacking, moving food around OMG...it is just gross and I understand it is MY issue but if someone is going to make a noise,they will be sitting right by me and I will hear it and that will be all I can focus on the rest of my meal so I too choose anytime dining with that being one of the reasons.

Now for the OP - love anytime dining, have never had to wait for more than 5 minutes, have always been seated with just my party except for once on my request that someone we met at lunch dine with us as she had taken a nap and her cruisemates dined without her. My reasons for anytime are much like everyone else. I can go when I feel like it, I eat with just our party if I choose, and if I want a different waitstaff I can request it, although I have never had to :D

And I must truthfully tell you that I detest the waiter's show. I find it boring and repetitive and quite frankly kinda like a TGIFridays... Birthday song = the staff hates it but they are required to do it...

So for that reason alone I will have to get YTD...

One other question for clarification: I often cruise alone and am wondering if the large tables are a collection of different people or big groups traveling together, or both. I'd had to do YTD and be sat alone... heh...

From the sounds of the replies most people want a table for two or want to sit with their own group. Nobody has replied what it would be like for a solo.

Im worried that if we do a set time to eat and a couple of our party arnt there will it will cause a problem? We have YTD now are we able to change?

If you are uncertain whether people will be there on time, you may want to stay with YTD. With traditional dining you need to arrive on time. With YTD, some of you can eat at one time and others can eat later...don't have to all eat together. If you think you want to change to traditional you can call your TA or PVP and see if they still have room available in that slot.

Same for us, we are a group of 9....

You may want to talk to the Maitre D (sp?) the first nite. If you can agree on a time that you will arrive, they may be able to reserve a table for your group.

From the sounds of the replies most people want a table for two or want to sit with their own group. Nobody has replied what it would be like for a solo.

You don't have to sit with just your group, so there may be others who are looking for company. Just tell them you are open to sitting with others if that's what you want. Otherwise they will seat you at a table for 2...

W are a group on 10 does anyone feel YTD will be a problem for us. We dont mind waiting as a large group were used to this so its no problem. Any opinion would be great.

We had a group of 8 last year & did the YTD. We had a wait every night, usually 10-20 minutes. On formal night the wait was closer to a half hour. This spring we have 9 travelling & we have booked late seating. This group has different interests & we may only get together at dinner so it is nice to have a set time & know our table is ready.

We cruised Royal Caribbean, Monarch of the Seas last year and chose flexible dining. We liked it except on embarkation, you had to sign up for a specific dining time and they strongly encouraged you to stick with that time. Worked out OK but not as flexible as I would have liked.

We were on Carnival Inspiration in April and chose flexible dining. We did not have to "sign up" for a specific dining time. First night, my DH and I were there around 7:00. We were seated at a table for two that was very close to two couples and it was a bit uncomfortable. They were not wearing appropriate dining room attire, were loud and demanding.

The second night we arrived earlier than the night before, hoping to avoid those same "neighbors." Unfortunately, they were already seated and found we would once again be seated in the same spot. At that point, we asked to be seated anywhere but there. We were shown a diagram of all available seating in our area of the dining room. We chose a table for two that had a small wait station on one side and tables on the other. Worked out perfectly. We had that same table the rest of the cruise, thanks to the dining room staff.

with our late time dining, can we still request a table for two? or will we be seated with a group?

we prefer to eat just the two of us.

You can request it when you book but it is not guaranteed. If you don't get it go to the dining room on the day of boarding after 1:30 and talk to the Maitre d - they usually can accommodate you.

2)Some or many of the waiters seemed far less invested in pleasing us. One simply refused to get us the dessert we requested, arguing that it wasn't available. (It was- kids menu, as I told him 4 times).

This was the exact opposite that members of our role call had this week on the Fascination...

The members who had traditional dining could NOT get their waiter to bring them Creme Brule every night, as they asked.

Whereas, one member that we ate with the final night, had had, the same waiters all week, who were a step ahead of them all night with their drink and food requests and had brought her Creme Brule every night as requested. (she took a picture the last night to show the scheduled diners the much better waitstaff they had with YTD)

We had different waiters each night, as we tried to move around the room, trying different locations, and every wait staff we got, was better than any we had with assigned dning on our previous 7 Carnival cruises.

Bill

We travel as a family of five and did not care for YTD. Our top 3 reasons are:

1) One 1 hr and one 30 min wait for dinner because we were a party of 5 and it seems best suited for 4 or less (on the hour wait, they crammed us at a table for 4 - who knows how long the wait would have been otherwise)

2) Our 2 DS (and us too if we are honest) missed developing the personal relationships with the with the staff, and the personal attention that you get (ie milks on the table for the boys, fruit plates ready to go...)

3) The service overall was not as smooth and the wait staff seemed hurried. Because we had different servers every night (imagine the waits if we had asked to be seated in the same section???) we could not provide extra tips.

Same for us, we are a group of 9....

On the cruise I tried it on, yes, it would have been an issue unless you are going very early or very late. As I posted above, we were a party of 5 two nights and we waited 30 minutes and an hour, and with the hour, they put us at a table for 4 with a place setting on the end. It was the last night of the cruise and the hostest couldn't "do anything about it" but with the 30 minute wait, she sent chocolate covered strawberries to the room.

We were on the Glory and there only appeared to be maybe 4 tables that would accomodate a party that large.

I don't think we will do YTD again, unless we are 4 or less. And now, while the kids are still young (12 and 6) they appreciate the personal relationships with the wait staff, so we would probably only do YTD if it was just the two of us.

I understand the personal relationships that develop with the waitstaff over the week. From what I'm reading though, you can request the same waitstaff throughout the week with YTD as well as traditional. The pressure is just off about arriving at a specific time each evening. We have always done traditional dining but have elected to do "our time" dining on an upcoming cruise for the hubby and I on Celebrity and for next spring's cruise with our two kids as well. We are all excited about the flexibility that this will offer. Early seating was always too early, and late was too late for the kids as they wanted to head out to activities, so being able to go to dinner at 7 or so sounds awesome to us!!

I love your time dining. Especially when cruising with my spouse. If I were going with a large group I might do traditional set times. (8 to 10 people).

Why I like it. No small talk. As a gay couple sometimes we get cold icy stares and who needs that while eating ? Or worse yet the M.D. trying to set us up with single women.

Also I work with the public and always make small talk so set dining feels to much like work.

Also hate the too early or too late times with traditional...

good post Sirwinston.

We are a gay couple too.. and I didn't do enough research into your time dining before we booked our cruise back in Feb. 2010.. so we got late dining. I would change it if I could to YTD. Even though I thought I had thought of everything for our first cruise... some things just didn't fall into place now that I know better.

we'll make the best of it.. but lesson learned I guess.

enjoy your next cruise.. You are lucky to live in Long Beach.. right where the ships leave from. :)

1. Does it feel like you are at a restaurant and simply didn't make reservations so they give you a buzzer? We only got a buzzer one night and that was Elegant Night. No problem though because the buzzer works throughout the ship so we went ahead and got our pictures taken by the photographers set up. The rest of the nights we were seated immediately. We usually ate around 7:30 or 8:00.

2. I am assuming you are tabled with whomever happens to be trying to eat when you do, is this true? We always asked for Imade, one of the first waiters we had during the cruise. We were always seated at his tables. Sometimes you get a booth. One time we were seated at our own table but the tables are close together and an elderly lady was seated beside us. No problems.... we really enjoyed talking to her.

3. What are the table sizes for this type of dining? Booths and tables, large round tables or small for two tables stretched out to seat couples.

4. For experienced cruisers - do you feel this detracts from your cruise experience? (We've often taken in shows with our tablemates, etc.)

5. For those who have tried it and liked it, what are your top 3 reasons you liked it.

We were on the Freedom in the Chic Restaurant... the upper level is Anytime Dining and the Lower Level is Set Time Dining.

We will always use the Anytime Dining. Very convenient .. you can just go to dinner whenever you want.

1. Does it feel like you are at a restaurant and simply didn't make reservations so they give you a buzzer? The only time we had to wait for a table is when we requested a certain server, and there were no tables available. Yes we were given a buzzer, and were seated within 10 minutes.

2. I am assuming you are tabled with whomever happens to be trying to eat when you do, is this true?You are only "tabled with whomever happens to be eating at the same time" if you request it. You can have a private table for two, or be seated with others. Your choice!

3. What are the table sizes for this type of dining?Ranges from intimate tables for two, booths for four, and six or eight person tables.

4. For experienced cruisers - do you feel this detracts from your cruise experience? (We've often taken in shows with our tablemates, etc.)No it does not deter from our cruising experience - it enhances it!

5. For those who have tried it and liked it, what are your top 3 reasons you liked it.We can get a 'traditional' dinner experience on our schedule, we can eat with whomever we want, and we can also have a quiet dinner for two if we want.

6. For those who have tried it and did not like it, what are your top 3 reasons for not liking it?Nothing negative about Your Time Dining - we absolutely LOVE IT and will not cruise on a ship that does not have it :D

Julia - Love that movie BTW - I am right there with you! It makes me crazy and yes, a little nauseous to hear any kind of sound from tablemates. Heavy breathing through the nose, smacking, moving food around OMG...it is just gross and I understand it is MY issue but if someone is going to make a noise,they will be sitting right by me and I will hear it and that will be all I can focus on the rest of my meal so I too choose anytime dining with that being one of the reasons.

Yay! Someone that understands me. Lord knows that while my family tolerates my issue, they certainly don't understand it. Thanks for making me feel validated! :D

I love that movie too but believe it or not, I have had that nickname since before that movie even came out. My (now ex) husband started calling me that from our very first date back in the early 90s. When the movie came out, we were in the theater and just looked at each other and said "No Way!" Even though we are no longer together, the story still makes me laugh.

1. Does it feel like you are at a restaurant and simply didn't make reservations so they give you a buzzer? We only got a buzzer one night and that was Elegant Night. No problem though because the buzzer works throughout the ship so we went ahead and got our pictures taken by the photographers set up. The rest of the nights we were seated immediately. We usually ate around 7:30 or 8:00.

2. I am assuming you are tabled with whomever happens to be trying to eat when you do, is this true? We always asked for Imade, one of the first waiters we had during the cruise.

I may have already mentioned this to you but I wonder how many times we saw each other in the dining room. We always ate about that time too. We had Imade the first night (loved Alejandro, one of his assistant waiters) and we dined with Dennis and his crew in the very next section over for the rest of the cruise. Do you by any chance recall seeing four women in their 20's - 30s, always sitting at one of the booths in the next section over? That was us! Wish we could have met up at some point during the cruise.

Maryann,

I am wondering that also as I am contemplating doing my first solo in late November. As much as I hate dining with strangers due to my weird issues :p, I am considering doing assigned dining for a solo cruise as I just don't think it would be much fun to dine alone each night. I don't know if I can take dining with strangers again though.

Archived