Local Shore Excursions in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick?

Suedona

We're taking the Crown Princess from New York to Quebec City October 7-17. I've always enjoyed side trips, but because we were so late in signing up for this cruise, the shore excursions from the ship are pretty much all filled.

I'd like to find out about taking local tours in St. John NB; Halifax, NS; and Sydney, NS. I've checked a few tour companies online but would like to know if someone has taken specific tours that have been interesting, informative, and not too terribly expensive.

Also, is there anyone taking this specific cruise who is interested in local tours?

I particularly want to see the Bay of Fundy and the Fundy National Park in St. John, the Citadel and Peggy's Cove in Halifax, and the Cabot Trail and the Cape Breton National Park in Sydney. Any information on what companies have day tours for these areas - or others of interest - will be much appreciated. All suggestions welcomed! Thanks.

We're taking the Crown Princess from New York to Quebec City October 7-17. I've always enjoyed side trips, but because we were so late in signing up for this cruise, the shore excursions from the ship are pretty much all filled.

I'd like to find out about taking local tours in St. John NB; Halifax, NS; and Sydney, NS. I've checked a few tour companies online but would like to know if someone has taken specific tours that have been interesting, informative, and not too terribly expensive.

Also, is there anyone taking this specific cruise who is interested in local tours?

I particularly want to see the Bay of Fundy and the Fundy National Park in St. John, the Citadel and Peggy's Cove in Halifax, and the Cabot Trail and the Cape Breton National Park in Sydney. Any information on what companies have day tours for these areas - or others of interest - will be much appreciated. All suggestions welcomed! Thanks.

For Saint John I recommend St. Martin's (Sea Caves, walk sea floor) through www.freedomtours.com

For Saint John I recommend St. Martin's (Sea Caves, walk sea floor) through www.freedomtours.com

Acey, I tried booking with them but since there does not seem to be any other interest for a tour that day, it does not appear that they will be running the Fundy to Fundy tour on October 18th.

I have rented a car with Avis and was wondering if I have enough time for my planned itinerary being in port from 7-3. Avis opens at 8 and I plan to head right to St. Martins. High tide is 9:34 so walking on the sea cave is iffy but I figure to spend about an hour there. I would then like to spend an hour or so on the Fundy Trail Parkway and then head back to Saint John and hope to have some time to walk around the market before boarding around 2.

Is the above realistic? If we can't walk the sea caves, is there much to see in St. Martins? Will I need an hour there?

Thanks,

Neil

Unless you are in Sydney for about ten hours, I would not go around the Cabot Trail.

If you are there before Oct. 15, then Louisbourg is the main attraction. After that is is partially closed (no animators).

Your best option would be to rent a car or join a group going to Baddeck. If you have time extend your drive this way. On a nice day the scenery will be beautiful.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Sydney,+NS+B1P+1A1&daddr=Baddeck,+NS+to:Iona,+NS+to:Destination+Cape+Breton+Association,+Sydney+Marine+Terminal,+Sydney,+NS+B1P+1A1&hl=en&geocode=FQoxwAIdMGJp_CmTkRO0KuVnSzF_0zNYc7qlyA%3BFd1svwIda_lg_CnPkSNJLGJdSzHz0SeXSM56XA%3BFZJPvQIdijBg_Cl3_U_XX2hdSzG-umoFiqZDow%3BFWQVwAIdR29p_CGQbhrxmTgVbg&mra=ls&sll=46.149632,-60.19907&sspn=0.024379,0.084543&ie=UTF8&ll=46.085614,-60.600586&spn=0.41433,1.352692&z=10

This is a drive of just over three hours which should give you time to see the Alexander Graham Bell Museum in Baddeck and have lunch.

If it is open the Highland Museum in Iona is interesting.

Thanks, Kathy. The tour sounds great, exactly what we're looking for...but the price seems a little steep for just the two of us. When we get on board the ship, do you think we'll be able to get two more people to go with us on this trip? Do you know if there's a place we can post something like this?

Many thanks for the recommendation, Acey! I've emailed Freedom Tours for more info on the two tours they have to Fundy Bay. Hope they're still operating them on October 12!

What a great forum this site is! Good information from nice people. Thanks, everyone!

Unless you are in Sydney for about ten hours, I would not go around the Cabot Trail.

If you are there before Oct. 15, then Louisbourg is the main attraction. After that is is partially closed (no animators).

Your best option would be to rent a car or join a group going to Baddeck. If you have time extend your drive this way. On a nice day the scenery will be beautiful.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Sydney,+NS+B1P+1A1&daddr=Baddeck,+NS+to:Iona,+NS+to:Destination+Cape+Breton+Association,+Sydney+Marine+Terminal,+Sydney,+NS+B1P+1A1&hl=en&geocode=FQoxwAIdMGJp_CmTkRO0KuVnSzF_0zNYc7qlyA%3BFd1svwIda_lg_CnPkSNJLGJdSzHz0SeXSM56XA%3BFZJPvQIdijBg_Cl3_U_XX2hdSzG-umoFiqZDow%3BFWQVwAIdR29p_CGQbhrxmTgVbg&mra=ls&sll=46.149632,-60.19907&sspn=0.024379,0.084543&ie=UTF8&ll=46.085614,-60.600586&spn=0.41433,1.352692&z=10

This is a drive of just over three hours which should give you time to see the Alexander Graham Bell Museum in Baddeck and have lunch.

If it is open the Highland Museum in Iona is interesting.

We have just 9 hours in Sydney so, thanks to your recommendation, we'll forego the Cabot Trail. What about the Cape Breton National Park? Is this worth visiting? Maybe it would be best just to rent a car and drive as much as we want around the area.

Thanks, Kathy. The tour sounds great, exactly what we're looking for...but the price seems a little steep for just the two of us. When we get on board the ship, do you think we'll be able to get two more people to go with us on this trip? Do you know if there's a place we can post something like this?

I don't know what the other company charges, but this company is reasonable and gives great tours too. Try to find 2 others on your roll call to share the cost with. Have you joined your roll call yet?

http://www.halifaxtaxitours.com/

Acey, I tried booking with them but since there does not seem to be any other interest for a tour that day, it does not appear that they will be running the Fundy to Fundy tour on October 18th.

I have rented a car with Avis and was wondering if I have enough time for my planned itinerary being in port from 7-3. Avis opens at 8 and I plan to head right to St. Martins. High tide is 9:34 so walking on the sea cave is iffy but I figure to spend about an hour there. I would then like to spend an hour or so on the Fundy Trail Parkway and then head back to Saint John and hope to have some time to walk around the market before boarding around 2.

Is the above realistic? If we can't walk the sea caves, is there much to see in St. Martins? Will I need an hour there?

Thanks,

Neil

You won't be able to walk the sea floor so close to high tide. What you will have is a quaint fishing village and some unspoiled coastline along the Fundy Parkway. The main attraction in St. Martin's in walking the sea floor and exploring the caves - so based on that I would decide if it worth it or not.

The National Park in Cape Breton is on the Cabot Trail about half way around and is not really doable in such a short day. Nine hours could be enough to drive around but you are not leaving any leeway for unforseen events. From what I have read most ship's tours only take you part way (and not the best part), then take you to a resort for lunch and shopping.

You really need to go to your roll call to see if you can join up with others. Otherwise renting a car is your best option.

You won't be able to walk the sea floor so close to high tide. What you will have is a quaint fishing village and some unspoiled coastline along the Fundy Parkway. The main attraction in St. Martin's in walking the sea floor and exploring the caves - so based on that I would decide if it worth it or not.

Thanks Acey. Sounds like St. Martins will not be worth the trip. Is the Fundy Trail Parkway worth the trip? I know it's only about 10 miles long but has several scenic overlooks. Looking for something to do in port other than a walk around town.

Thanks.

We booked with Jonathan Duru, and told him to feel free to add another couple if he could since we had no luck on the roll call. Of course, we have no guarantee that that will happen, but...

Being new to the cruisecritic site, I'm not quite sure how to use the "roll call" feature. Naturally, I'm registered to be able to use this forum, but I wonder if I need to do anything else?

I am very interested in the yourcab tour with Jonathan Duru. Did you book the Halifax AND Peggy's Cove tour with him? If so, we'd love to be able to join you on this tour. Thanks.

I don't know what the other company charges, but this company is reasonable and gives great tours too. Try to find 2 others on your roll call to share the cost with. Have you joined your roll call yet?

http://www.halifaxtaxitours.com/

We toured Halifax and Peggy's Cove just last week with Les as our guide. I highly recommend him. He even stopped at a little known museum near Peggy's where an Author/Artist wrote a book about the legend of Peggy's cove. It was very interesting and one of those places that most tour buses drive right by. We hooked up with others on our roll call and split the cost 6 ways for the 5 hour tour.

We toured Halifax and Peggy's Cove just last week with Les as our guide. I highly recommend him. He even stopped at a little known museum near Peggy's where an Author/Artist wrote a book about the legend of Peggy's cove. It was very interesting and one of those places that most tour buses drive right by. We hooked up with others on our roll call and split the cost 6 ways for the 5 hour tour.

Les was our guide, too. We had a 6 hr tour to Lunenburg, Mahone Bay, Peggy's Cove and Fairview Cemetery. He showed us extra interesting places too. I would highly recommend him also. What a great place.

You just need to go to Roll Calls on the main cruisecritic board, look for Princess and look for your cruise. Here is the link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1092982

Thanks. I think I'm finally getting the hang of this. Appreciate your help. Also appreciate your suggestion about renting a car and driving around Cape Breton. That seems to be a good solution. I have a tour book and a GPS...who could ask for anything more? :-)

Archived