Thomsons shore excursions to athens..

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has done a shore excursion to Athens with Thomsons?

There seems to be two that are quite similar, but they both say they are for 4 hours. We're apparently down to be in the port for 10 hours. I dont want to go to athens for only part of the day and waste the rest of the day.

Can anyone confirm that the athens excursions are for only part of the day (and which part)? If so, I may have to do some last minute research on getting from the port to athens by ourselves...

Thanks

Hi,

There seems to be two that are quite similar, but they both say they are for 4 hours. We're apparently down to be in the port for 10 hours. I dont want to go to athens for only part of the day and waste the rest of the day.

Can anyone confirm that the athens excursions are for only part of the day (and which part)? If so, I may have to do some last minute research on getting from the port to athens by ourselves...

Thanks

Hi we've been to Athens several times from Piraeus independently. We haven't done the Thomson trips into Athens ourselves but from the Destinations Guide from our cruise earlier this month, there were two Athens half-day excursions of 4 hours as you describe (Panoramic Athens & Plaka was am leaving at 8.45 and Athens and the Acropolis was 8.30 departure). There was also an 'Athens on Your Own' option where they transfer you to Athens by coach and leave you to do your own thing then take you back. That was a 5 hour trip leaving at 9.00 @ £16.

It is quite easy to adopt a Diy. If you follow the road round from the port turning left as you leave the coach park and walk for about 20 minutes you will see a pedestrian bridge over the busy road. It even has an escalator and lift (it's a serious pedestrian crossing!) As you come off the escalator, the Metro station is on the corner on your left.

It costs 1E to get into the Monastiraki stop which is in the centre and at the base of the Acropolis. The trains run every 5 minutes and you can't go wrong as this line only goes from Piraeus into Athens. Monastiraki has a flea market, local market and tourist market and you can wander from here into the Plaka which is the old area with lots of tavernas and atmosphere. It's a pedestrianised area (but watch out for the ubiquitous scooters!) and if you wish you can continue going right (clockwise) round the base of the Acropolis and find an entrance to go and visit the Acropolis and Agora should you wish.

If your intention is to go to the Acropolis and Agora I would suggest you get off the ship early and head straight there. We were in Athens by 9.00 and beat the crowds (and heat) - we were leaving the Parthenon by the time the tours were arriving. Even better than getting off at Monastiraki is to get off at the previous stop (Thissio) if you are going to the Acropolis. Then you need to skirt round anti-clockwise round the Acropolis along the wide, cobbled boulevard until you see the entrance. (It's probably about 10 minutes from the Metro station).

Coming back, just make sure you go to the 'To Piraeus' platform then you stay on til the end of the line - no other trains on this line so you can't get the wrong one!

Plusses for doing it yourself - it's very cheap, it's quicker than taxi/coach transfer because of traffic congestion, you get there early before it's crowded, you can spend as long as you want there and you will have plenty of time to explore the Plaka too. Minuses: must head back in good time as the ship won't wait and the unpredictability of the Greek strikes!

Hope you have a good trip. :)

P.S. Ask Destinations Services for a Metro map and to show you on the Piraeus map where the Metro station is - they're very helpful to independent travellers.

Hi,

Thanks

I went to Athens a couple of weeks ago on Celebration and did the Athens and Acropolis excursion. The excursions start in the morning and you get back to the ship around lunchtime.

After a sightseeing drive through Pireus we arrived in Athens and had a few minutes for photos at the old olympic stadium then a sightseeing drive through Athens before arriving at the base of the Acropolis. We then had a guided tour up the hill and had time to explore on our own before meeting back at the coach. Wear good shoes with grippy soles because the marble paving is polished and dangerous.

I believe panoramic Athens and plaka does the same sightseeing bit but drops you in plaka at the base of the Acropolis which is a shopping area.

I thought the guided tour was good and if you wanted to stay in Athens just tell the guide you are making your own way back to the ship.

If you want to do your own thing you can get the metro from Pireous but it quite a long walk from where the ship docked. Others here can give you more info than me.

Is that on the ship?

Thanks

Yes - they do the bookings for excursions but also offer advice and help to those wanting to go ashore independently. Each evening there will be an information sheet and map of the next day's port of call put on the Destinations Services desk for passengers to pick up but if you want any additional info - just ask them - they are very good in our experience.

Yes - they do the bookings for excursions but also offer advice and help to those wanting to go ashore independently. Each evening there will be an information sheet and map of the next day's port of call put on the Destinations Services desk for passengers to pick up but if you want any additional info - just ask them - they are very good in our experience.

oh good, thanks!

Hello,

We just arrived back from our 2 wk back to back cruise on the Spirit yesterday. You are right, there are 2 similar trips to Athens. One is geared up to those who wish to climb to the top of the Acropolis, the latter is a more "easy going" version. In attending the on board excursion presentation, the advisors made out that the former was best left to those who were really fit. This due to the number of steps that lead to the monument. The latter is an easier option as you are taken to a spot below the Acropolis where pictures can be taken. Afterwards you are taken to a dropoff point where you have some free time in town. We took the easy option. As it turned out this suited us perfectly. My husband has always wanted to see the changing of the guards in front of the Parliment building. At our dropoff point we asked our guide how we could make it back to the correct spot to see this. Looking at her watch, she said that if we hop on to the metro, go one stop and get off we would be there. If we hurried we could catch the parade and changing of the guard at 11 am. It was 10min. to the hour. We made it just as it was starting. Hubby was a very happy man.We later learned that the climb up to the Acropolis was not as bad as it was made out to be. Excursions are done in the a.m and back by 1 ish

I think if we were to do it again ... and it wasn't sooo hot.... we would probably do the trip on our own. I'm not certain how difficult it is to find the Metro nearest the port but I will say that they seemed to be managed well and is the most interesting Metro system that I have encountered thus far in Europe. Our guide told us that construction within the area is a nightmare because with every dig they discover more relics. In developing the Metro system they incorporated this into the final product. Each Metro station is home to it's own collection of pottery, jewlery and even bones that was unearthed in its construction. A person could spend a great deal of time just visiting Metro stations.

One word of warning. Entry back on to your ship can be delayed if another ship is in dock. We encountered the boarding of new passengers on to a huge ship when we came back from our excursion. Passengers from both ships had to go thru the same two security points. It took ages.

What ship are you traveling on?

Archived