Rotterdam to Amsterdam

fsdorado

We'll be on the Golden Princess in July, stopping in Rotterdam. We would love to go to the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam but will only be docked from 7am to 4pm. Do we have time to get from Rotterdam to Amsterdam and still have time to do anything? Anyone ever do this? Thanks!!

Frederick

It is a very tight schedule.

Take the tram (or a cab of course) at the end of the pier to the centraltation in Rotterdam, which takes 20 minutes. There is an excellent trainconnection from Rotterdam Central Station to Amsterdam CS, which takes another hour.

However trains can be rather full because of rushhour!!!!

In Amsterdam again you can take a tram (or again a cab) to Museumplein, which is very close to the Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum, again abt. 20 minutes.

Of course the same for the return.

It can be done, but I donot know if all the rush is worth it. Even a delay somewhere could mean trouble.

In Rotterdam there is Museum Boymans van Beuningen, which also has some Van Gogh and other paintings, Check their website at:http://www.boijmans.nl/smartsite125163.dws?sp=1

Maybe that is more convenient to you.

• 2 weeks later...

What do you suggest the we must see on our trip to Rotterdam in late June this year? We don't necessarily want to travel into Amersterdam because of the time restraints (our Princess guide says we will be there from 8am to 6pm), but want to see things our girls ages 19 & 15 will enjoy too. Any suggestions on things to do at the port of rotterdam or nearby?

Your expertise is greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance,

June

To start with I give you think english link to the Rotterdam tourist office, you can find a lot of info on what to see or what to do in and around the city. ; http://www.vvv.rotterdam.nl/uk/

You will dock near Erasmusbridge, there is a tramconnection into city-center. However centercenter is rather modern, due to the fact it was bombed during WWII.

Interesting might be to take a harborboattour, take a tour on Euromast to see the town from above, visit one of the museums or the boattour to Kinderdijk, where a lot of windmills are.

By train it is easy to go to Delft, a nice old city, check: http://www.delft.nl/stadsportal/portals/delft-nl/content.asp?sessionid=1xTegM31UqYyWRZ5zySrofBaqys3l14uVBDU@p5K78Ld!zmM!2Az1FIodrhoUhCp&objectid=9557

Let me know if you need more help.

Since our time in ROtterdam is so short (8a-6p) and since we really want to go to Amsterdam, I'm looking for any recommendations on private drivers that can take us (party of 4) to Amsterdam and back to the ship.

All recommendations warmly welcomed!!!

To start with I give you think english link to the Rotterdam tourist office, you can find a lot of info on what to see or what to do in and around the city. ; http://www.vvv.rotterdam.nl/uk/

You will dock near Erasmusbridge, there is a tramconnection into city-center. However centercenter is rather modern, due to the fact it was bombed during WWII.

Interesting might be to take a harborboattour, take a tour on Euromast to see the town from above, visit one of the museums or the boattour to Kinderdijk, where a lot of windmills are.

By train it is easy to go to Delft, a nice old city, check: http://www.delft.nl/stadsportal/portals/delft-nl/content.asp?sessionid=1xTegM31UqYyWRZ5zySrofBaqys3l14uVBDU@p5K78Ld!zmM!2Az1FIodrhoUhCp&objectid=9557

Let me know if you need more help.

Thank you so much for the link. Any suggestions on what to do for a family of 2 adults and 3 children, ages 13, 15, and 17. I did want to go to Amsterdam to bring them to the Anne Frank house but I am just too afraid that we will be cutting it too close. We're on the same cruise as the OP and we're only in port from 7am to 4 pm so we have to be back on board no latter than 3:30 in the afternoon.

Carolyn

I will try and found out some contacts for a private driver and will let you know.

As mentioned already a visit to Amsterdam can be done, but the schedule is rather tight. It might work if you leave real early.

That way you avoid long lines at Ann Frank house.

I will let you know more once I have some contacts in Rotterdam.

I will try and found out some contacts for a private driver and will let you know.

As mentioned already a visit to Amsterdam can be done, but the schedule is rather tight. It might work if you leave real early.

That way you avoid long lines at Ann Frank house.

I will let you know more once I have some contacts in Rotterdam.

Carolyn,

If we can get a big enough car, we could probably share a private ride to Amsterdam. We're pretty much just interested in going to the Van Gogh museum. I don't think it's very far from the Anne Frank house. We'd probably need a van since there would be eight of us total.

Ine - Do you think you could find someone with a large van?

Frederick

I have sent an e-mail to the Rotterdam touristboard and asked for private-drivers. No answer yet from them.

You can combine Ann Frank with Van Gogh, but on seperate stops. They are too far away from each other to walk. But if you set times with each other it shouldnot be a problem I think.

I have found these 2 firms which offers drivers and cars. Idonot think that is with a guide, propably only driver.

With the 2nd firm the english link doesnot work on my PC, but you can send them an e-mail and ask for an offer.

They offer vans for 9 persons for Eur.52.50 per hr, minimum for 4 hrs. Also a smaller van 7 persons for Eur.55,- per hr.

I would suggest to send mails to both firms and check these rates etc.

If I hear from the tourist board I will let you know.

Also I you need morehelp, me glad to assist.

http://www.bouwensbv.com/en-services.htm

http://www.chauffeurscentrale.nl/?OVRAW=prive%20chauffeur&OVKEY=prive%20chauffeur&OVMTC=standard

Carolyn,

If we can get a big enough car, we could probably share a private ride to Amsterdam. We're pretty much just interested in going to the Van Gogh museum. I don't think it's very far from the Anne Frank house. We'd probably need a van since there would be eight of us total.

Ine - Do you think you could find someone with a large van?

Frederick

Frederick, why don't we check into this, it's a great idea. We just have to make sure that we're not cutting it too close so the 8 of us aren't spending the night in the Netherlands!!

Carolyn

E-mail from ETS Limo Comany:

If you leave at 07.00 takes 1,30 > 1, 45 hours in morning to reach Amsterdam.

You must leave Amsterdam by 02.00.

So I think you have time no problem.

8 seater Van wil cost for this transfer incl VAT Euro 520,00 the car will be at your disposal all day.

8 seater Van drop off Rotterdam > Amsterdam Euro 195,00

8 seater Van drop off Amsterdam > Rotterdam Euro 195,00

Have a nice holliday and if I can help you with further information send me a email.

Kind regards,

Bart van Leyden

E.T.S Holland Limo

Ph+31180464686

Fx+31180557914

http://www.hollandlimo.com

I agree with driving times, this way you can do it.

Maybe you better keep the car all day and see whether there is time left to tour the city of Amsterdam and/or maybe a quick drive through Delft.

It takes abt. 1 hr plus waiting for Ann Frank, no waiting at Van Gogh's, where you need at least 1 hr also.

Good luck, let me know if you need more.

Ine

E-mail from ETS Limo Comany:

If you leave at 07.00 takes 1,30 > 1, 45 hours in morning to reach Amsterdam.

You must leave Amsterdam by 02.00.

So I think you have time no problem.

8 seater Van wil cost for this transfer incl VAT Euro 520,00 the car will be at your disposal all day.

8 seater Van drop off Rotterdam > Amsterdam Euro 195,00

8 seater Van drop off Amsterdam > Rotterdam Euro 195,00

Have a nice holliday and if I can help you with further information send me a email.

Kind regards,

Bart van Leyden

E.T.S Holland Limo

Ph+31180464686

Fx+31180557914

http://www.hollandlimo.com

Remember, we can't get off the ship at 7 am, that's just when we dock. Depending on customs it could be another 3o to 60 minutes before we're allowed to disembark. So if we get into Amsterdam by 10 I guess we have 4 hours before we leave. What are your thoughts? Do you think it's worth the money?

Remember, we can't get off the ship at 7 am, that's just when we dock. Depending on customs it could be another 3o to 60 minutes before we're allowed to disembark. So if we get into Amsterdam by 10 I guess we have 4 hours before we leave. What are your thoughts? Do you think it's worth the money?

Carolyn,

I posted this on our roll call too but for the benefit of those who aren't on our cruise...

Princess has a Amsterdam on Your Own shore excursion available. It last approximately 7 hours and is $72 per person ($39 for under 12). Here are the details:

Amsterdam On Your Own

This tour will provide the opportunity for a day trip to Holland’s main tourist center. First, take in a panoramic city tour, then explore the city on your own.

AMSTERDAM ON YOUR OWN

You will disembark your motorcoach at a designated point near Museum Square in Amsterdam. Spend the day as you like; lunch is on your own. The excursion is non-guided and does not include entrance fees. City maps are provided for your convenience.

SIGHTSEEING AND SHOPPING TIPS

Local currency will be required for entrance to the attractions and lunch, you should plan to either exchange your money onboard the ship or at a currency exchange in Amsterdam.

The Van Gogh Museum and Rijksmuseum is open from 10:00am-5:00pm daily. Museum openings are always subject to change without notice.

WHAT YOU SEE ALONG THE WAY

Board your motorcoach and drive to Amsterdam, passing through lowland countryside dotted with farms, canals and flower fields.

SPECIAL NOTES

The drive from Rotterdam to Amsterdam is approximately one hour.

I'm thinking this might be better for the three of us. The Princess 8-passenger van is $1149 for a full day. The ETS van will run about $540 roundtrip (or $700 all day). The Princess shore excursion is looking pretty good. What do you think?

Frederick

The Princess excursion sounds good.

But driving 1 hr seems rather short, knowing how heavy traffic can be.

On the way back it might work out great, because the ship will wait for you if any delay occurs.

The place the bus stops -nr. Museumplein- is close to Van Gogh Museum and also Rijksmuseum (Rembrandt's nightwatch etc.)

To go to Ann Frank you need to take either a tram or cab, walking is quite a distance.

The same if you want to make a canalcruise _ (you will certainly love that!).

Archived