Liberty of the Seas - Jan 9/11...travelling with parents advice

Bronx12

I am wondering what advice you have for travelling with parents on a 7 day cruise, my husband & I will want to do a lot, and I know my parents, who are in their late 60's will try to keep up. I don't want them to tire themselves out, my Dad has a few health issues.

Thanks Rhonda :cool:

I am wondering what advice you have for travelling with parents on a 7 day cruise, my husband & I will want to do a lot, and I know my parents, who are in their late 60's will try to keep up. I don't want them to tire themselves out, my Dad has a few health issues.

Thanks Rhonda :cool:

Hi Rhonda,

Funny now I am answering you on a different thread on another Board and my Wife's name is Rhonda and if you couldn't tell I am a cruise addict temporarily suffering through three years of unintentional abstinence which is about to end at the same time you are cruising.

I had the privilege of a similar situation with my Parents when they were in their 70's a few years ago before my Mother passed. My Dad was and is very active and my Mom was physically very limited. It got interesting at times and I am sure that it was a bit much for them at times but so long as they understand that they can do or not as they choose then I am sure they will make the correct choices for themselves. And as a parent it should always be their pleasure and joy to be with their kids and their grandchildren, so if they choose to make a sacrifice and push a little you should try to understand as long as it does not pose some form of health risk to them. If they get tired once then maybe the next time they will stay in their Cabin and relax, as long as they know that you are good with whatever choice they make. My Parents always knew that in a few hours they would have another opportunity for another dinning experience with the whole family and then the activities just filled in around the eating themed social events that happened several times each day.

I never passed on something I wanted to do; I just simply let them know what my plan was and then confirmed that I would see them at the next lunch or diner or whatever the plan was for the next sit/talk/eat. I have to say now that my Mom has passed I think my favorite memory of them together was on the balcony of their cabin on the Navigator OTS on the way to San Juan on a sunny afternoon and I even remember asking something like “Now that I am videoing you are they any things that you would like to say to me for me to keep after you are gone?” And I remember her giving me a funny look and not wanting to say anything, but that whole week of memories is something that I am very glad that I have now. Even though I have the digital pictures to prove it, the best part is just the memories and the warm feeling I get when I think about them. Sorry for the long answer but your question struck very close to home. Heck I could have gone into whole stories from those several trips but that would not have been fair unless you had asked me to.

Anyway what I really wanted to say is just relax and enjoy your whole family and let it happen and I can almost guarantee you that it will be something REALLY SPECIAL.

Oneof my best memories is taking a cruise with my parents, who were in their 60s at the time (1989). The best advice I can offer is to talk ahead of time and agree on ground rules - what are you going to do together, and when do you want to go your separate ways. Once we did that, we all had a much better time. Once we let my father "loose", we were amazed that at the end of the cruise, he must have known over 100 people by name, and that surely wouldn't have happened if he had stuck with us!

Cathy

I agree with discussing things ahead of time. We are going on the Jewel (next weekend!) with my in-laws who are in their mid 50's, and have already agreed on our together and apart time. For example, DH and I really want to hike Acadia all day - a total of over 12 miles. The IL's are going to shopping in the morning and then a trolley tour - and will then meet us for lunch at Jordan Pond House and do the last section of the hike with us. Each day is similarly scheduled. And since we have everything planned out, we won't waste precious port time debating what to do to make everyone happy. :)

Archived