Istanbul excursions..?

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has done a Thomsons excursion to Istanbul? Which one would you recommend? If you heard anything about the others? Stuggling to decide which one to do...

I'd like to make the most of our time there, so I'm leaning towards the 9 hour one, but it says you go back to the ship for lunch and to recharge batteries. Anyone know how long you are back in the ship for?

Thanks!

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has done a Thomsons excursion to Istanbul? Which one would you recommend? If you heard anything about the others? Stuggling to decide which one to do...

I'd like to make the most of our time there, so I'm leaning towards the 9 hour one, but it says you go back to the ship for lunch and to recharge batteries. Anyone know how long you are back in the ship for?

Thanks!

Why not do it yourself? You can see the main tourist centre from where you are berthed and you can in fact walk into the main attractions over the Galata Bridge although it's quite a way (45 minutes?). Better still, catch the tram which runs along the road parallel to the dock and get off at Sultanhamet where you will find the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace and the Cisterns all very close by.

The Bazaar and Spice Markets are also within walking distance (provided you're happy to walk all day!) so there is plenty to be seen and at your own pace without taking time out to return to the ship.

As you will be able to spot the ship from across the Galata Bridge, and provided you're not tired out, you can always walk back to the ship - so giving yourself enough time to do that, you're not going to be left behind. It's a great city, very cosmopolitan and so easy to explore independently. I would advise anyone to DiY in Istanbul unless you have mobility problems.

Totally agree with Kruzseeker. We followed her advice and DIY'd, the tours we saw around the sights were dashing around everywhere and we took our time. Leave the port and turn right towards the main road, very busy, you want the tram that is going left but the stop is on the right in the middle of the road. We walked left about 15 minutes and got the tram at the Gelata Bridge, there is a subway and a manned kiosk where you buy a token. Get an early start as the Topkapi Palace gets very busy, allow a couple of hours here and don't forget the Harem, you pay again (about £7.50) but it's well worth it as it's quieter and the room decorations are superb. Walk across the main road where the tram is and go to the cisterns down below ground, well worth a visit. Get the AA pocket guide for Istanbul (about £3.50 from Amazon, look for free p&p) the maps have the Turkish names though. Don't talk to men who come up offering directions as they are pests who want to get you to their carpet shop, hide behind tour groups as they don't get pestered.:):)

Jan

Totally agree with Kruzseeker. We followed her advice and DIY'd, the tours we saw around the sights were dashing around everywhere and we took our time. Leave the port and turn right towards the main road, very busy, you want the tram that is going left but the stop is on the right in the middle of the road. We walked left about 15 minutes and got the tram at the Gelata Bridge, there is a subway and a manned kiosk where you buy a token. Get an early start as the Topkapi Palace gets very busy, allow a couple of hours here and don't forget the Harem, you pay again (about £7.50) but it's well worth it as it's quieter and the room decorations are superb. Walk across the main road where the tram is and go to the cisterns down below ground, well worth a visit. Get the AA pocket guide for Istanbul (about £3.50 from Amazon, look for free p&p) the maps have the Turkish names though. Don't talk to men who come up offering directions as they are pests who want to get you to their carpet shop, hide behind tour groups as they don't get pestered.:):)

Jan

Some good advice from Jan here (glad you enjoyed your visit too :) ) and to add to the recommendation for the AA guide for Istanbul I would suggest getting one of the Berlitz Pop-out maps too. You can stick it in your pocket and has the tram routes and a map of the bazaar too. Mine was £3.99 at WHSmiths but you might be able to get it cheaper on Amazon.

Some good advice from Jan here (glad you enjoyed your visit too :) ) and to add to the recommendation for the AA guide for Istanbul I would suggest getting one of the Berlitz Pop-out maps too. You can stick it in your pocket and has the tram routes and a map of the bazaar too. Mine was £3.99 at WHSmiths but you might be able to get it cheaper on Amazon.

Hi Kruzseeker

Just to say that the pocket guide had a seperate map of the city that can be taken out. Battle of the travel guides, lol.:D:D

Jan

We booked a private walking tour with these people before we left the UK:

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/tourop/bakpak/old_ist_walk.html

We were picked up from the cruise port, went to the Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace, "Pudding Shop" restaurant for lunch, Underground Cistern, carpet shop, Grand Bazaar, Spice Market, and put on a tram back to the cruise port. A very comprehensive full day!

Men and women need to cover their shoulders and knees in the Blue Mosque.

Be careful of your footwear in the Cistern as it is wet underfoot, I was wearing flip-flops and it was very slippery.

The Spice Market is much better than the Grand Bazaar if you only have time to visit one.

In June the excursion department on Celebration had stopped bringing people back to the ship for lunch on the full day tour as it was wasting too much time.

Carol x

I took others advice and took the tram, actually a 4 coach train!

After leaving the terminal building I turned left and walked along the harbour side to the Galatea bridge. You buy the tokens for the tram turnstiles in the pedestrian underpass, cost 1.5L each (60p) The tram is modern and busy, just like any metro nowadays. Total cost £1.20, slightly cheaper than a ships excursion :D

Hi Kruzseeker

Just to say that the pocket guide had a seperate map of the city that can be taken out. Battle of the travel guides, lol.:D

Jan

:eek: Choice of weapons????????? :D Now, I reckon I've been done 'cos my AA guide didn't have a map!!! :mad: Perhaps I just got a cheapie version - serves me right!! :D I decided to buy the Pop-up as we've found them helpful in other cities and we thought we'd be going back to Istanbul again next year so it would be worth the investment. Now they've changed the itinerary though - that might not be happening. Anyone want a Pop-up Istanbul map?????????????? :D

Archived