Venice transportation from ship to shore

Can'tstopcruising

I would appreciate information concerning transportation from the port to city' date=' specifically for Celebrity.

Do they offer shuttle service? Is there a charge? How much? Other alternatives?

Thanks[/quote']

The ships are docked at Marittima and you can take the €1pp new People Mover from the port just one stop to Piazzale Roma which is at the top of the Grand Canal, and from here you take a vaporetto down the Grand Canal.

X will charge considerably more and water taxis will be even more.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-people-mover.htm

Edited by Albert Ross

Yes, there is a shuttle orange bus. Stops at Piazza Roma in the corner of the square by the bank and the little park. Free orange shuttle. If there are more ship in port they all served by shuttle.

All busses stop there also the ones to and from the airport.

But you can also walk very short.

Also there is a luguage depot on the square to leave your bags.

I left mine there and took the carryon to the hotel for the night. I arrived 1 day before cruise.

You can also take a private water taxi anywhere you want to go, but expect to pay about 80-100 euros. And from the dock, you can take Alilaguna directly to St. Mark's Square for about 6-9 euros/pp. You don't mention if you are disembarking with luggage, but you can take it on Alilaguna and then walk to your hotel from there, which is what we did.

You can also take a private water taxi anywhere you want to go, but expect to pay about 80-100 euros. And from the dock, you can take Alilaguna directly to St. Mark's Square for about 6-9 euros/pp. You don't mention if you are disembarking with luggage, but you can take it on Alilaguna and then walk to your hotel from there, which is what we did.

We did this also, but it pays to remember that you will be dragging your luggage over bridges which will be very crowded with pedestrians. Doable for sure, but make sure you have wheeled luggage.

There's a left luggage kiosk in the Piazzale Roma. You can pack what you need for your stay in Venice and leave the excess there. It was 3 euro/bag/day when we used it. When you go the airport, pick up your luggage and catch the airport shuttle bus in the Piazzale Roma. Using the Left Luggage Kiosk saves having to drag your stuff all over Venice.

I was in Venice overnight on the Century a few weeks ago. I concur that the best way to go is the people mover and the Vaporetto at Piazzale Roma. We bought a 24 hour pass for $18 euros. The advantage is that with the 24 hour pass you can go anywhere, anytime. They run every 5-10 minutes.

On the ship, Celebrity seemed to imply that you must take their private shuttle for $35, otherwise it would be too far to walk to the public transportation. Not true. The Celebrity shuttle will go only from the ship to St. Marks Square and back. So many people bought the Celebrity shuttle, then they ended up also buying tickets on the Vaporetto so they can go up and down the Grand Canal. But why pay for the Celebrity Shuttle, when you can just take the Vaporetto?

• 5 years later...